What else are you playing at the moment?

Anyone who likes roguelikes should check out ToME 4 http://te4.org/ . They've done a real nice job incorporating some newer CRPG concepts into an angband type base.

I got into my first MMO recently: Dungeons and Dragons online. A lot of fun, but I'm really reluctant to become "an MMO player"... you can just feel it start to take over your life.

I picked up Hearts of Iron 3, but even as a vet of the first two games the learning curve is pretty darn steep and I haven't really managed to get into it. It seems like a step up in complexity from even other Paradox games, which is saying something.

I haven't gotten civ V yet, my system is scraping the bottom of the requirements (8600GT), and the reviews have been pretty luke-warm. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but unlike previous civs I don't feel any rush.

It's sad that FFH2 development is over, it was like getting a whole new game every few months. At least we have the Modmods, but after god knows how many hours of play the civ IV engine is getting pretty stale.

None of the fantasy strategy games between Master of Magic and FFH (HoMM, age of wonders, lords of magic, etc) ever did anything for me. Partly because the economic/empire systems were weak, and partly because the just lacked fun factor for me. Maybe Kael can turn Elemental into something fun.

Galciv 2 was fun for a scifi fix, but after mastering the basics the AI always seemed to be way to easy or way to hard (on the highest diffs).

WoG for HoM&M3 is like FFH2 for Civ IV. I have always one installed version of it on my hdd. :) For me too it is better than HoM&MV.

The best thing for me in it is the possibility to ban certain spells and artefacts that could give you that spell. The game now doesn't end when one of the sided get dimension door or town portal.

Assassin's Creed II
Left4Dead 2
Torchlight
Metro 2033

All these since I got them really cheaply recently. =)

MovieBattles II, the best multiplayer shooter there is, a mod for Jedi Academy.

[NWO]_Valis;9979314 said:
WoG for HoM&M3 is like FFH2 for Civ IV. I have always one installed version of it on my hdd. :) For me too it is better than HoM&MV.

The best thing for me in it is the possibility to ban certain spells and artefacts that could give you that spell. The game now doesn't end when one of the sided get dimension door or town portal.

Yeah, I can remember those strategies: get wisdom and earth magic ASAP, then build magic guilds like crazy untill you get town portal :)
And a lot of games win/lost only because one of us had Town Portal at his home city guild, and the other hasn't

None of the fantasy strategy games between Master of Magic and FFH (HoMM, age of wonders, lords of magic, etc) ever did anything for me. Partly because the economic/empire systems were weak, and partly because the just lacked fun factor for me. Maybe Kael can turn Elemental into something fun.

This seems the case for 4X games generally, at least to me. despite having many, many examples to see how game mechanics work, it seems like no game manages to come out that isn't either not well developed overall, or has some mechanic that's quite weak.

[NWO]_Valis;9979314 said:

I'll take it under advisement. I'm not saying they aren't at all fun, I played one of them, i think II, a fair amount, I just didn't get sucked in the way i do games i really love. The city mechanics were too simple and pre-set and the battles repetitive. I played some Russian (i think) knock off within the last year (that had good reviews) which had the same sort of quick fun without much replayability.

This seems the case for 4X games generally, at least to me. despite having many, many examples to see how game mechanics work, it seems like no game manages to come out that isn't either not well developed overall, or has some mechanic that's quite weak.

Yeah, i agree. My theory is that they get too caught up in making "a simple game that will appeal to a lot of people" and don't really fall in love with it themselves. People tend to get the details right when they're making something they love and want to be great, and not when they're doing something to be broadly popular. That's why mods are so often the sources of the best content.

Ahh, you young guys, I played these when they first came out!!

Best wishes,

Breunor

:lol: I'm not a young guy. Let's put it this way, my first computer game was Zork I in 1987.

I assume you want to emulate x86? Then use dosbox (for windows, linux, macos, macosX...). I've never had a problem running any DOS program with it, and I've installed it on all of the above (but I'm not the person to ask about linux problems).

Thanks, I'll check it out.

:lol: I'm not a young guy. Let's put it this way, my first computer game was Zork I in 1987.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

....My first computer game* was Quake. In 96. When I was 9. :mischief: I was born December of 87. :lol:

*When I say "computer game", I am excluding 'educational' games. I played the hell out of those when I was like 5. :goodjob:

Ohh
my first computer game was "the wall"... or something like that - I do not know original english name of that.
It was around 1985-86 I believe. And it was at computer called 'zx Spectrum' if I remember correctely. It was computer borrowed from my dad's work.
My first games at PC were Wolfenstein (or similar name) and Warlords (first game with this title)

My first computer game was Original Adventure. But not on its original platform -- that was on the IBM XT clone (which cost all together about three times what I paid for my last laptop). Ah, youth...

My first computer game was Original Adventure. But not on its original platform -- that was on the IBM XT clone (which cost all together about three times what I paid for my last laptop). Ah, youth...

My first computer game was 'Pong'. Adventure though was my first game I really found in my genre.

Best wishes,

Breunor

My first game was a car race in text mode, on a friend's Spectrum zx81 in 1984.
but I also played all of the old classics : rogue, pong, sometextadventure.

then I had my first own computer (laser 310) and played pacman, popcorn (a wall breaker) and some submarine simulation game.

I also played MUD in the early 90s. They were full text MMO, but were addictive.

for now, I only play FFH2, orbis, and an online game called naturalchimie (in french) that is somehow fun and that can't eat your time too much (you can only play once a day)

Oh, is this an "old computer game" thread now ;)? My first computer game was Star Trek on the college mainframe in 1978 or so. It was a text-based game and didn't even recognize that I'd won after I killed the last Klingon: the game just went on, asking me for my next move. Ah, the good old days.

....My first computer game* was Quake. In 96. When I was 9. :mischief: I was born December of 87. :lol:

*When I say "computer game", I am excluding 'educational' games. I played the hell out of those when I was like 5. :goodjob:

I guess you never had the pleasure of dealing with Windows 3.1 and the numerous Blue Screens of Death. I think Win95 was much more stable. I'm getting old, my memory is starting to fail me. :lol:

I guess you never had the pleasure of dealing with Windows 3.1 and the numerous Blue Screens of Death. I think Win95 was much more stable. I'm getting old, my memory is starting to fail me. :lol:

Ohh Blue screens :D
That was the times...

But... I have even older memory... emotionally VERY intense.
In the early 80's, at my father's ZX Spectrum, games were loaded from the tape recorder. And we have an old one, and not very good wires. When the game was loading (about 5 minutes) we were sitting without a move... if somebody moved, the chances were that the game will load incorrectely and we will have to restart the whole process :crazyeye:

The first game that was a REALLY pleasure for me was my first 'strategy' game, which was called 'Dictator' (at least in Polish)

I got a chance once to play a round or two of an ancient mainframe computer game called "Absolute Oligarchy." It was around in the early '70s. Basically, you typed in how you wanted to allocate your money (I remember feeding the peasants was one of the possibilities), and the computer told you what happened to your kingdom in a printout (!). If you'd allocated it such that food and defense were sufficient, you'd last another round.

Eventually, you'd be overthrown by the peasants or conquered at random, but I understand some people could go on for hours before that happened.

There is no emotional intensity in that memory, and I didn't have the urge to play it a second time. :mischief:

Top Bottom