What European country is the closest to winning today ?

I don't know how you guys claim Italy beats France in a culture war. France is known for strong cultural impacts on everything from food, language, government, entertainment, literature, fashion, art. Italy is known mostly for food and art.

True. Catherine, Frederick and a bunch of other monarchs preferred to speak French rather than their native language.

But in true CIV style the French have been conquered so many times that their Culture no longer counts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes there is a difference. I did mention recognition in my original post.
And since I'm from Chicago, I always weight it higher then Washington. ;)

I rate Chicago far above Washington in almost all aspects, and if quality of culture was the issue I would probably give Chicago the top position among US cities.

As for Italy beating France, it's that 'three cities' clause. The impact of Paris is legendary, hands down. It might even be number one on the 'top five cities' screen (Athens?). In a game that plays all the way past the twentieth century most surviving civ's capital city is going to be at least pretty close to legendary culture. It's that second and third that are the tough nut to crack.

By the way, a quote from a French king on languages:

"I speak French to my troops, Italian to women, and Spanish to God." There's a little more to it which I gracefully left out, but apparently leader preference to other languages is a two way street.

True. Catherine, Frederick and a bunch of other monarchs preferred to speak French rather than their native language.

Exactly!

La Francoise est la creme de la creme par excellence. Nulle place on la comprent pas. Cela papier macher.
Bonjour, commen vous allées?
Adieu mon amis, et bonne voyage!
Rendez-vous le café a la carte. Vous voulées une baguete du pain?
Merci, merci, bonne apetite!
Oh la la... et voila! Vive la republique, cela revolution!
Au contraire c'est la vie. Naturlement laissez-faire
Cela coupe de foudre la fiance. Elle est je ne sais quoi la femme fatale.

Spoiler translation, if you need one :
French is creme de la creme par excellence. Not in a place it isn't understood. It's papier macher.
Hello, how do you do?
Adieu, my dear friends, farewell!
Rendez-vous at the café a la carte. Would you have a baguete of bread?
Merci, merci, good apetite!
Oh la la... et voila! Long live the Republic, it's the revolution!
Au contraire c'est la vie. Naturally laissez-faire.
It's coupe de foudre with my fiance. She has je ne sais quoi the femme fatale.

Even if you are insistent on looking at culture through civ's framework, considering that France has three world wonders in two different cities.

I'm not arguing against French culture. Nobody even mentioned the metric system, or Napoleon's other reforms.

But I've never been to France, and my memory isn't what it used to be, either :old:

Can anybody tell me which wonders these are and which cities they are in?

Eiffel Tower - Paris
Notre Dame - Paris
Palace of Versailles - Versailles

Eiffel Tower - Paris
Notre Dame - Paris

It's that three city thing. If they had built the Eiffel Tower in Marseilles the game would be over by now.

Eiffel Tower - Paris
Notre Dame - Paris

Thank you. Strangely enough, I wasn't coming up with Notre Dame. I also wasn't sure whether the meaning was two cities with 3 wonders each, in which case I was really lost.

I think Italy has a Culture Victory in the bag. Rome, Florence, and Venice are at Legendary culture.

Holy Roman Empire won a pope hat victory, and Roman Empire won a domination victory (Greatest extent was London to Baghdad), France won a domination victory under Napoleon, Nazi Germany won domination victory in 1942. Soviet Union came close to winning a domination but not quite. Germany now is closest because it is the only EU country that actually makes money, the rest ought to have their units on strike. France and Rome/Italy are close to winning cultural victories. On a worldview America is in the lead but at the current rate China will quickly overtake them.

But in true CIV style the French have been conquered so many times that their Culture no longer counts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good point, Italy is in lead culturally

China isn't going to overtake America in your lifetime, and Europe wouldn't be broke by civ's standards. Quit the doom and gloom :)

By what standards has France been conquered more than Italy?

Yeah, I also wonder...

(half of) France got conquered by Nazis during WW2. Rest of the time, they kicked big ass every war they've been involved in.
Oh! The Romans and the Franks also conquered France (was not France yet but Gaul), but apart from them...

"The French know their business, and their business is war" - Rudyard Kipling

"Since 387 BC, France has fought 168 major wars against such badasses as the Roman Empire, the British Army and the Turkish forces. Their track record isn't too shabby, either: They've won 109, lost 49 and drawn (or as close as you can "draw" a war) 10 times."

source: Cracked
also: List of wars involving France

The stereotype seems to come entirely from getting crushed in WWII. And yet no one ever says denmark, norway, belgium, netherlands, poland etc. are cowards.

Furthermore France wasn't completely beaten, they lost their homeland territory -- for what would be a couple turns in Civ time -- and then ended up winning the war.

Also that tally is out of date, they won the campaign against the Malian rebels!

Yeah, maybe because no one expected the Belgian to hold their ground against Germany anyway. France, on the other hand...

But to stick with the stereotype is unfair. To remedy that, only one solution:
MORE WARS FRANCE GO GO GO!

They had been on something of a loosing streak since Napolean's defeat at Waterloo. Lost Franco-Prussian war decisively. Was getting a draw in WW I (with assistance of British) until US joined war. Capitulated to Germany in WW II until US (w/British (& some Canadian)) help got France to the limits to break free and then gave them back their cities. Lost Indochina war (then got US to loose it too.) So France got rep as militarily ineffective.

Poland's WW II performance (cavalry vs tanks) made its WW II performance something of a joke.

Other countries listed were simply too small to withstand the Nazi juggernaut

imagine using all the nations in europe in real life and putting them on a civ 4 map of europe from 4000 bc civ time until today what civ would be closest to winning ? or do you think there already has been a winner ?i know this is for fun but i want to know what people think.

there are 6 different types of victories.

1 time-obviously nobody can win by this as its not yet 2050 in real life.
2 conquest-with the many civs through time there was no one single civ who conqured all of europe.
3 domination-did any of the biggest civs ever get big enough in a europe map for a fomination victory ?
4 cultural-this victory might of been won.im not sure how to add them up for each civ in europe today.
5 space race-has a county already won this or would all their cities not fit in a map of europe on civ 4 ?
6 diplomatic victory-did any single civ manage to get enough votes for this ?

i hope you people have some good replys as i think this could be interesting.

I think most Americans would agree it would have to be California!

"Since 387 BC, France has fought 168 major wars against such badasses as the Roman Empire, the British Army and the Turkish forces. Their track record isn't too shabby, either: They've won 109, lost 49 and drawn (or as close as you can "draw" a war) 10 times."

source: Cracked
also: List of wars involving France

Well, France has not fared well in recent wars, that's what people think France weak militarily. Granted, it was on the winning side in WW1+2, but those were as part of alliances and not to mention losing most of their colonies and prestige after WW2.

If that's the case then you will have to write off Germany, Italy, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark and all of Eastern Europe except Russia for the cultural victory as well, as they were all conquered by someone in the modern era. That leaves only England (w/ London) and Russia (w/ St. Petersburg and Moscow) in the game for unbroken legenday culture. I suppose Spain hasn't bee conquered in quite some time, so they may actually be the clossest to cultural victory... but I doubt they'll beat the 2050 time victory limit.

PS -> great discussion toppic!

If you loose a city and then reconquer it, you get the culture back (just not the cultural buildings.) That's why the recommended procedure to stop a cultural win is to raze one or more of the near (or at) legendary cities--no possibility of reconquest.

Top Bottom