1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What exactly is the GOTW?

Discussion in 'CivRev - Game of the Week' started by zack_wilder, Jan 3, 2009.

1. zack_wilder

zack_wilder Chieftain

I bought this game used, and it didn't come with a manual for whatever reason, so I had to figure out the controls by myself and everything.

So what is the GOTW? Is it like a scenario, except new ones come every week? And do you keep it on your DS after that week, or does it clear itself once you download a new one?

Thanks in advance!

2. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

Yeah, it's kind of like a scenario - a new one each week. It's really a kind of "puzzle" scenario, because for the main consoles people will play them over and over, finding the fastest way to win, and submit their best score.

For the DS, there is no official "scorekeeping", so we've had people do occasional threads on them here, just as a place to track that. Also, since the DS has got very limited storage capacity, I am sure that if you download a new GOTW, the old one is lost. I wouldn't even be too surprised if the only place it got saved was to your manual save area - if you delete your saves, that GOTW gets deleted, too. (I haven't tried the GOTW on the DS, so I don't know for sure.)

And, Welcome to the Forums! [party]

3. tayen

tayen Chieftain

Yeah, what is that, really?
    That's a very good question.

simulation credit
    immobilier de France
    - Credit immobilier de
    France, simulation credit immobilier. Résultat mitigé pour le crédit
    immobilier de France.

4. Padma

The Game Of The Week.

As I said back in January, it is a special scenario, by Firaxis, made available each week (on Sunday, IIRC). Any GOTW you download during a given week will always be the one for that week. It is a puzzle, with the object being to get the fastest possible win. Often the best times are in the range of a dozen turns, or less.

5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    With the CivRev on the iPod Touch/iPhone. How exactly would this work?

6. Hertsh

Hertsh Darwinist

There is no MP on the iPhone version so therefore no GOTW.

7. Phoenix_Fire91

Phoenix_Fire91 Chieftain

We can only hope they add GOTW and MP to the iPhone version...

Also, I don't recall the GOTW being on the DS?

8. Padma

Oh, it exists for the DS, but it's a bit different. It uses the same map as for the consoles, but there is no "leaderboard", and it plays exactly like any other DS game, with saving, etc. I download it occasionally, just for the change.

9. Sn1p3rk1ll3

Sn1p3rk1ll3 Warlord

is it exactly the same map?
    -if so, I'm gonna lend the game from a friend, and exploit the maps as much as possible :p

10. Padma

It *should* be the same map, but I've never actually verified that. :dunno:

11. Oddible

Oddible signal / noise > 1

This forum section sorely needs a sticky explaining what is going on here and how to participate. For instance, I just got an XBox, got this game and have no idea how I would participate / download / etc on the XBox or if it is even possible.

Need info!

12. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

When you get to the main menu screen, go to "Single Player" and then to "Game of the Week." The GOTW is a game you download, that everyone else in the world gets, and you compete for the high score. You don't get to choose your civ either.

You need to be able to connect to the internet to play it. And you can play it more than once, AFAIK.