What exactly is the GOTW?

zack_wilder

Chieftain
I bought this game used, and it didn't come with a manual for whatever reason, so I had to figure out the controls by myself and everything.

So what is the GOTW? Is it like a scenario, except new ones come every week? And do you keep it on your DS after that week, or does it clear itself once you download a new one?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, it's kind of like a scenario - a new one each week. It's really a kind of "puzzle" scenario, because for the main consoles people will play them over and over, finding the fastest way to win, and submit their best score.

For the DS, there is no official "scorekeeping", so we've had people do occasional threads on them here, just as a place to track that. Also, since the DS has got very limited storage capacity, I am sure that if you download a new GOTW, the old one is lost. I wouldn't even be too surprised if the only place it got saved was to your manual save area - if you delete your saves, that GOTW gets deleted, too. (I haven't tried the GOTW on the DS, so I don't know for sure.)

And, Welcome to the Forums! [party]

The Game Of The Week.

As I said back in January, it is a special scenario, by Firaxis, made available each week (on Sunday, IIRC). Any GOTW you download during a given week will always be the one for that week. It is a puzzle, with the object being to get the fastest possible win. Often the best times are in the range of a dozen turns, or less.

With the CivRev on the iPod Touch/iPhone. How exactly would this work?

We can only hope they add GOTW and MP to the iPhone version...

Also, I don't recall the GOTW being on the DS?

This forum section sorely needs a sticky explaining what is going on here and how to participate. For instance, I just got an XBox, got this game and have no idea how I would participate / download / etc on the XBox or if it is even possible.

Need info!

When you get to the main menu screen, go to "Single Player" and then to "Game of the Week." The GOTW is a game you download, that everyone else in the world gets, and you compete for the high score. You don't get to choose your civ either.

Game of the Week: Each week a new Firaxis created map will become available to players for download. Finish the game with the highest score you can achieve, and have it posted to the Civ Game of the Week Xbox Live leader boards to see how you stack up against players around the globe!

You need to be able to connect to the internet to play it. And you can play it more than once, AFAIK.

Top Bottom