What happens to my duplicate imported resources?

Herod

Warlord
I've found very little on this subject, I can't seem to re-trade imported resources.

For example in my current game I have one Cocoa at my city Antium giving me 4 amenities and another Cocoa which I bought from China because it was cheap, the report correctly shows I have 2 Cocoa. But when I go to the trade screen it only shows 1 Cocoa (presumably this is Antium's Cocoa?) and if I sell it the trade screen says I have no Cocoa but the report correctly says I have 1 Cocoa at Antium, one Cocoa bought and one Cocoa sold, total one Cocoa.
I waited a turn in case the game needs to update but the second Cocoa never appears in the trade screen.
So the Cocoa I bought from China I've wasted my money because I can't re-trade it?

The first copy of an imported resource does give 4 amenities but surely it can't be that any duplicate resource attained through trade is completely useless?

I do not know what you can do with additional copies acquired through trade. I know that your own additional copies can be traded.

Duplicate resources do nothing. 1 cocoa = 4 amenities for cities. 12 cocoa = 4 amenities for cities.
You can't trade resources acquired through trade or through suzerainty. They still get applied to your cities if you don't have another copy, but if you already do, then the extra copy does nothing.
However, by buying a resource you already have, that gives you the 4 amenities for it, so if you acquire a resource but sell off your own copy for more than you bought the other one for, you're essentially getting free money (although obviously if you go to war with either who you're buying from or who you're selling to, then that deal gets cancelled).

Ok thanks, so yes the only benefit of an imported duplicate luxury is if you buy it for less than you can sell an "internal" copy of said luxury. It seems a bit of a shame you can't sell ones aquired through trade, I can't remember if Civ IV & V were like this or if this is new.

Ok thanks, so yes the only benefit of an imported duplicate luxury is if you buy it for less than you can sell an "internal" copy of said luxury. It seems a bit of a shame you can't sell ones aquired through trade, I can't remember if Civ IV & V were like this or if this is new.

You couldn't sell resources acquired through trade in Civ V either, since it was not owned by you but only available to your civilization for the trade deal's duration.

Duplicate resources do nothing. 1 cocoa = 4 amenities for cities. 12 cocoa = 4 amenities for cities.
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that each copy of a resource provided amenities for four cities; if you acquired a second copy it would provide amenities for four more cities, etc.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that each copy of a resource provided amenities for four cities; if you acquired a second copy it would provide amenities for four more cities, etc.

It's been confirmed that only 4 copies of a resource (6 for Aztecs) are divided among your cities. You can actually check the resources report for confirmation.

Only the first copy provides amenities, you can look at the report to see which 4 cities the game has applied them to.

Huh, that's not the way the devs described it before release. Is it a bug or a change of heart, I wonder? And here I've been hoarding extra copies of resources because I thought I was getting amenities from them. :(

Huh, that's not the way the devs described it before release. Is it a bug or a change of heart, I wonder? And here I've been hoarding extra copies of resources because I thought I was getting amenities from them. :(

Probably a decision the devs decided to scrap. Honestly, having multiple luxuries influence more than 4 cities would just lead to even fewer reasons to build Entertainment Complexes or trade for other luxuries.

I'd also love to have additional amenities for each copy of a luxury, instead of only +4 for the first one. :(
Maybe you could have +4 for the first copy, and +2 for each additional one?!

Does anyone have an idea if/ how this could be modded? (Oh I hope there is or will be a way to easily mod this kind of stuff..)

Am I mistaken, or is the trade overview bugged in that it doesn't account for resources acquired from another civ when trading with a third party? For instance yesterday, I traded with Kongo and got some Cotton from then. Then a couple of turns later Spain approaches me and offers a trade for Cotton. However in my trade overview, there is no indication that I already do have Cotton from Kongo. So essentially, this can lead me to accept a zero-value trade because I think I get a resource that I don't have when in fact I already have this resource?

The devs never said that. I posted at some point a transcript of the relevant dev stream to show that they never said what people hoped, wished, dreamed they said. Only the first, unique luxury gives amenities - full stop.

Am I mistaken, or is the trade overview bugged in that it doesn't account for resources acquired from another civ when trading with a third party? For instance yesterday, I traded with Kongo and got some Cotton from then. Then a couple of turns later Spain approaches me and offers a trade for Cotton. However in my trade overview, there is no indication that I already do have Cotton from Kongo. So essentially, this can lead me to accept a zero-value trade because I think I get a resource that I don't have when in fact I already have this resource?
If you are talking about the trade screen that shows what you have available when making a deal with another player, yes, you are correct, you cannot see what resources you are importing. But I don't think it's a bug because that imported resource cannot be traded, so it doesn't show up on that list of things to trade. It is, however, quite annoying not to be able to see what you are importing already when making a deal. One of many places the UI needs work....

You are correct, The trade screen UI does not identify for you that you have a resource that you received thru a trade, or thru suzerainty of a CS. You can see that on the city reports screen though.

If you are talking about the trade screen that shows what you have available when making a deal with another player, yes, you are correct, you cannot see what resources you are importing. But I don't think it's a bug because that imported resource cannot be traded, so it doesn't show up on that list of things to trade. It is, however, quite annoying not to be able to see what you are importing already when making a deal. One of many places the UI needs work....
Good point about it not being tradable ... maybe it could show up but dimmed down or something, so you could see you have it, but can't trade it.

You can't trade resources acquired through trade or through suzerainty.
You can trade Jeans. Isn't that from a City State?

Good point about it not being tradable ... maybe it could show up but dimmed down or something, so you could see you have it, but can't trade it.

For what it's worth, there's a ui mod that adds additional details related to resources on the map and trade screens. I've found it useful, check the mod sub forums.

The devs never said that. I posted at some point a transcript of the relevant dev stream to show that they never said what people hoped, wished, dreamed they said. Only the first, unique luxury gives amenities - full stop.
Still weird that you can trade Resources in capacities bigger than one though. There's literally no reason for that being there if they didn't, at least at some point, plan to allow multiple copies to have a bonus effect.

Top Bottom