What is an Ira??

Quote from: Ideas needed for common Events:

Hope you don't mind the thread bump, it's just that since you decided to retain the name "Ira" for these new units, I couldn't resist.

1. An Ira has retired from warfare and decided to open a delicatessen on the Lower East Side of [city name]. Ira's Deli has become very popular with the local population and is even attracting tourists. +1 :) and +5 :commerce:
in [city name].

2. A retired Ira has joined your Ministry of Finance. At his suggestion, the Ministry has enacted rules allowing our citizens to open Individual Retirement Accounts or IRAs. This will encourage our people to save for retirement and have money to spend in their old age. +1 :commerce: in all cities.

3. After long and tense negotiations, an Ira has agreed to place its weapons "beyond use." Our people are hopeful that this will be an opportunity for peace. +1 :) in all cities.

Maybe a prerequisite for any of these should be that your forces have defeated an Ira in battle. Anyway, if you accept any or all of these, feel free to modify as you see fit.

Couldn't resist as well. :D :p

Knowing the Avatar of Wrath, I'd guess that they're the souls of those consumed by raw hatred, or possibly just elementals of hatred.

Wow! One of my posts quoted -- from a different thread! Now I know I've arrived. :)

Seriously, I know that "ira" is the Latin word for "anger," so I guess that's why Kael decided to use the name for the beings summoned by the Avatar of Wrath. But what kind of beings they're supposed to be I don't know.

I just didn't think the name was particularly scary, and decided to have some fun with it for some proposed events.

:ninja:'ed
Knowing the Avatar of Wrath, I'd guess that they're the souls of those consumed by raw hatred, or possibly just elementals of hatred.
Sounds right to me.

I tend to think of them as Angels/Elementals of anger/hatred, in the service of Aeron, the god of body/blood/rage. I usually think of Aeron and Camullos as allies, so they may serve him too.

Prior to the introduction of the summon, Ira were mentioned in the Odio's Prison entry. Odio was commanding the Army of Ira when Aeron withdrew his aura and allowed Kilmorph to pull him into the earth. Perhaps the Ira were upset by this, and defected to Camullos or just went off on their own. (There may not be much of a difference between the two options, as most of Camullos's angels are rebelling against and trying to usurp him. The Avatar is Camullos's archangel though, not Aerons.)

The Avatar's an Archangel?

Yes, he is Aeron's Archangel, the Archangel of Rage. I find it odd that it is Aeron's angel that brings the ARmageddon, seeing as he has an orginazation of assasins and his empire, the Calabim, are quite subtle. Then again, anger is often hidden, until it comes out full force and converts much of your army and kills you for sport.

Yes, he is Aeron's Archangel, the Archangel of Rage. I find it odd that it is Aeron's angel that brings the ARmageddon, seeing as he has an orginazation of assasins and his empire, the Calabim, are quite subtle. Then again, anger is often hidden, until it comes out full force and converts much of your army and kills you for sport.

The Avatar of Wrath is the archangel of Camulos, God of Chaos (originally Peace), not of Aeron, God of Body/Blood/Murder/Rage/Hatred (originally strength). The Aeron's Bounty and the Calabim, who are patronized by Aeron, are quite organized. Camulos's followers, the Doviello, are not. Camulos's angels/demons are also quite chaotic, and his vault is an enormous battlefield where his angels eternally fight each other. The sides keep changing, as new faction rise and fall, each built around a different one of his demon's attempts to usurp Camulos' godhood.

Wait...if the avatar is an angel, why does his entering the world talk about all the anger of the dead (the horsemen rarely kill that many :p ) bringing him about? Does it just need updating or am I missing something?

Well...technically the reason is probably that his origin was retconned fairly recently, and the pop-up text hasn't been changed..

Well...technically the reason is probably that his origin was retconned fairly recently, and the pop-up text hasn't been changed..

I say de-retcon him.
What's more terrifying? The archangel of an otherwise unremarkable god, or the combined fury of countless angered souls come to release their vengence upon the mortal world, rendering the gods helpless to do anything but watch?

I think I'll go with the second one there...
Although, seriously, hardly anyone's died. Most of my games would have it resemble Grumpy the dwarf were all the dead to inflict their collective rage. Slightly more terrifying, but less destructive I think...

I think I'll go with the second one there...
Although, seriously, hardly anyone's died. Most of my games would have it resemble Grumpy the dwarf were all the dead to inflict their collective rage. Slightly more terrifying, but less destructive I think...

Well, consider the effects of Blight. Having a size 25-30 city go to size 10-15 is a LOT of population dying as a direct result of whatever actions raised the AC. Something like a few million citizens. Furthermore, population lost on the razing or even just conquering of a city would be rather irate, yes?

Top Bottom