What is the current opinon of this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pieman11

Warlord
I don't follow civ much, but after eagerly playing civ4 I was excited for an even better game.

Civ5 was probably the second biggest gaming letdown I have ever experienced behind spore, it's just god awful compared to civ4.

Am I the only one that has this point of view?

Whats the civ fanatics take on civ5?

This topic is pretty much :deadhorse: now, you missed the boat by about 9 months.

The consensus is that the game has potential but it still needs work in order to be solid.

Is it still beating a deadhorse if you weren't around when the horse was beat in the first place?

Is it still beating a deadhorse if you weren't around when the horse was beat in the first place?
I guess it is to all the people who have been on the forums since at least when Civ5 was released, but to new people, no.

Civ5 failed to meet many Civ Fanatics dreams of building on Civ4's greatness, while removing the few flaws 4 had and generally enhancing the series and taking everything civ-tastic to the next logical and creative level.

Instead, it seemed like somebody had pruned Civ4 back to a stump and then stapled flashy, hexagon shaped pictures all over it. It seemed like if Civ5 were a swimming pool, you certainly wouldn't dive in, unless you wanted to break your neck.

I don't know. I just accepted the game for what it was and put the past behind me. Civ5 seems like an offshoot of Civ, rather than a continuation of it. A bold experiment that didn't quite work right, but there wasn't enough time to start over.

Still, patches have improved the game from the alpha it was when it was released, to a beta that still needs refining before it can pass QA, but is getting there slowly.

Having said all that, I quite enjoy the game, just not for the same reasons as previous iterations of the series.

Horse, thoroughly beaten.

It is a lot better now (not as good as IV, but it has some fun in it).

It's a lot better now than at release, and new patches and expansions only help it.

It's getting worse and worse with any new patch.

On release it was a cool game, so cool that you didn't notice the issues. With the patches, it have been streamlined to a point the issues can be seen like the nose in the middle of the face.

The worst of all issues are for now, for me: horses nerfed and too rare iron. My last Prince game i was few turns away of Gunpowder, I denounced Tokugawa who had 12 iron, he sent his Samurai to me and from this point out I just quited, didn't want to contemplate this disaster...

The worst of all issues are for now, for me: horses nerfed and too rare iron. My last Prince game i was few turns away of Gunpowder, I denounced Tokugawa who had 12 iron, he sent his Samurai to me and from this point out I just quited, didn't want to contemplate this disaster...

Erm, that sounds like the AI actually doing something right to me! Wish this happened in my games rather then petty insults from AI who can't back up their threats...

Whats the civ fanatics take on civ5?

Their take on this is that you should use the forum's search function and pick one of thousands of threads to read about this topic.

And yes, it is still beating a dead horse even if you weren't around when it was beaten in the first place. The magic word is called: Search.

It's getting worse and worse with any new patch.

The worst of all issues are for now, for me: horses nerfed and too rare iron.

Really? I tend to do fine with the horse units, especially lancers, and I never even pay attention to how much iron I have, 'cause I've never been in the situation where I've run out.

Guess you need to change your strategy, perhaps?

I actually like it. I really haven't run into too many problems with the game.
Sure the AI is stupid but it always was. As for Iron and horses I rarely have troubles
getting either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom