what is this?

thadian

Kami of Awakened Dreamers
i am confused, as i got my net back not too long ago.

What exactly is civ-4 colonization? no, im not going to go to the referenced places to be advertised to - what actually is it? Is it compatible with having Civ 4 and BTS installed? does it replace BTS like BTS replaces warlords?

Im so confused, i dont want to know "why i should buy it" or "please read this statement made by someone who wants you to buy it so they can get another yacht".

I just want to understand what this "game" is about, and most of all - is it an expansion like BTS or more of an unofficial Civ5?

i did but i was confused. it doesn't seem much like Civ at all. from what i think i misunderstand, this is just a mod that could have been included with BTS.

This is straight from the info center and explains about as plainly as possible what this game is:

Announced on June 9th, 2008, Civilization IV: Colonization is a standalone expansion pack for the award-winning game Civilization IV. This game, a remake of the 1994 classic Sid Meier's Colonization, utilizes the Civ4 engine but does not require that any other previous Civ4 games (including the expansion packs) are installed. Thus, Colonization both incorporates some elements of standard Civilization IV gameplay while introducing some of its own. Some concepts from the 1994 version are also used to create a game with a balance of old and new.

Civilization IV: Colonization, like the classic, focuses on the European discovery and later colonization of the New World. Leading one of the major European powers, players will engage in diplomacy, exploration, trade, and, of course, warfare, as they struggle to dominate the newly found territories. Additionally, historical elements, like important people and revolutions, are also in place to create a realistic environment for players to control history and their countries' future.

So, to answer your questions: YES it is compatible with BTS, NO it is not Civ5, and NO it does not replace BTS.

what i didn't understand is, is it interactive with BTS.

It seems to me, at least how I read it. It is stand alone game, a remake of the 1st, based on the civ 4 model. You do not need Civ 4, nor any expansion to play it. That would mean to me a Stand alone game.;)

I know, some marketing bozo thought it was best to stick a CIV4 tag alongside... Sometimes, for having a few university marketing courses... i can tell that some are overpaid...

i hate it when they do this - it makes it feel like Civ 4 is just a cash-cow of expansions after expansion (remember dynasty/samurai warriors anyone? First release game 1, then the expansion, then the second expansion, then part 2 followed by 2 expansions which add nothing but maybe 2 stages, a character and 5 weapons) Like in civ 3, we had so many civs that Civ4 felt naked until warlords came out.

In a market where gamers are getting angry with this kind of scam, i don't think its good business to label it "Civ 4: Colonization" - just colonization 2 would be fine, and they could even add on the back of the box "Made with the civ-4 engine!" but the AI stupidity might turn off buyers.

Well, it's basically the same way they use they use Sid Meier's name with all Civ titles after first even if he had little to no involment with some of them.

Hopefully people do understand that Civ4:Col is not part of the civilization series/frachise even if it utilizes civ4 engine otherwise there will be lot of pissed up people when the game comes out as it wont be what they expected.

:crazyeye:
So let me get this straight

Can I buy civ4: colonization and apply its graphics and such to my regular civ4:bts game? Because I really like those graphics, and I would love to play Civ4:BTS with it.

:crazyeye:
So let me get this straight

Can I buy civ4: colonization and apply its graphics and such to my regular civ4:bts game? Because I really like those graphics, and I would love to play Civ4:BTS with it.
I'm not sure. It looks to me that, besides the fancy water and perhaps better textures, they have improved the quality of the 3D shaders, and they might not be compatible with Civ4. They've used its engine, but apparently have reworked it a bit.

You might be able to import models Civ4:Col uses, but I don't know to what extent the newer shaders are present in them.

What is this???

THIS IS SPARTA!

Just kidding. Anyways, it was kind of silly to call it Civilization 4: Colonization. I didn't initially understand what that exactly meant until I read, and reread the published information.

I'm not sure. It looks to me that, besides the fancy water and perhaps better textures, they have improved the quality of the 3D shaders, and they might not be compatible with Civ4. They've used its engine, but apparently have reworked it a bit.

You might be able to import models Civ4:Col uses, but I don't know to what extent the newer shaders are present in them.

Kind of a shame if it’s not compatible, but this definitely makes Civ V look very promising graphics wise.

Kind of a shame if it’s not compatible, but this definitely makes Civ V look very promising graphics wise.

Well thois is not Civ and this isn't some showcase for CIV5's graphics... It's its own game and you should try it out for what it is... Colonization.

It's even better than the Civ serie.

Colonization is nice, but I feel it isn't as "epic" as the Civilization game.

Well thois is not Civ and this isn't some showcase for CIV5's graphics... It's its own game and you should try it out for what it is... Colonization.

It's even better than the Civ serie.

Yea I was actually interested in picking it up, but if it is better or not then Civ remains to be seen. I tend to prefer the open end game play of Civ as apposed to an isolated period of time, should be fun none the less.

Top Bottom