What is your default level ?

Baron2

Warlord
Very simply, for me, on small maps, it's Emperor, and on larger maps King.

Usually Emperor or Immortal. Sometimes I go King or Prince if I want to build a lot.

Deity is quite restrictive of playstyle, or was anyway. I guess I'll have to try a few games with the expansion out.

I typically play around King or Emperor. If I'm going Domination, I usually pick Emperor for the added challenge.

Continents, Continents Plus or Terra, Large or Huge, Emperor if I don't want to worry about getting wiped early, Immortal if I'm looking to challenge myself. (Still haven't beaten it.)

Warlord for me slowly adjusting to Prince. Small continents. Usaully 22 civs and as many city-states as possible.

emperor if i actually want to have fun playing. immortal if i want to really focus on a game. haven't tried deity in a while - too cheap

I might try beating Deity someday to see if I can, but it honestly doesn't sound fun to me. You have to concentrate way too much on the numbers game, and going for an optimal build, which totally ruins the immersion of it for me.

Emperor, which is the level at which I can level-peg with the AI and sometimes lose to it (as in, play a full game and lose at the end, as with my first complete G&K game when Bismarck outteched me to the spaceship, rather than being wiped out by a rush or backstab).

I can also play varied games, as others mentioned - I haven't yet won a game on Immortal (caveat: I've played only two or three times, and died to rushes every time), but understand that this isn't the case on that level.

Should add a poll to the thread. Would be interesting to see, even if there probably is an old one in another part of the forum.

I play on King all the time. Thinking about going up one step just to try out, but I find this level fine for me. Good balance between fun and strategy.

Played on prince so far. After adjusting to the new features of G&K I'll probably finally move up to king :)

Used to constantly play Emperor on vanilla, just now finished my first King game. Still adjusting to the new changes.

Continents, Continents Plus or Terra, Large or Huge, Emperor if I don't want to worry about getting wiped early, Immortal if I'm looking to challenge myself. (Still haven't beaten it.)

Continents plus? Never seen that option.

Emperor. King on Scenarios.

Should add a poll to the thread. Would be interesting to see, even if there probably is an old one in another part of the forum.

Moderators could still add a poll to this thread. Would just require a PM by the OP with the desired question, answers and settings for the poll :).

Was usually Deity in vanilla; my friends often call me masochistic/stubborn and when I would find my Mandecavs facing endless waves of Pikes I was somewhat inclined to agree, but I felt like my gameplay improved significantly from my first military attempt on that level. :) Moved down to Immortal to try and get used to all the changes; I believe Deity would absolutely whoop me if I tried it right now and I will need a good while to adjust to things :lol:

Emperor I win 90% of the time in Vanilla, (2 for 2 by a wide margin in G&K on marathon). Just setup my first Immortal last night for G&K, in Vanilla I won maybe 10% of the time.

I typically just play random maps, to increase the pleasure of exploring, but I set Immortal up on small continents

I'm straddling the line between Prince and King. If I game the map (lakes/Inca, Archipelago/Carthage, etc.) I can sometimes win at Emperor if things all go right. My biggest problem is the early game - if that goes well, the rest of the game is a cakewalk, and if it goes poorly, the game is lost.

I play all map types except Pangaea. For some reason, I hate Pangaea.

With Gods and Kings it's all over the place and I haven't settled on what settings are my level yet. First there is the revised tech tree and the race for religions, then there is the changes to the AIs combat skills for the better while at the same time I think some of the new religion and wonders provide ways for the human player to get an advantage through focused strategy. Basically I've found it's easier to dominate the AI economically, but harder to fight the AI in several eras. And then of course there is the worker steal - stealing a worker early on might as well be raising the difficulty by 1 or 2 levels. Now the AI thinks like a human in that regard and will label you a threating sociopath for the rest of the game if you do it.

Top Bottom