1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What language does Ramessess II speak?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Randarkmaan, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

As I understand it, semetic languages have very soft, unstressed vowels. They probably just didn't consider them necessary in written form at first. Even the Phoenician alphabet had no vowels so, when the Greeks borrowed it, they had to convert some of their symbols to represent vowels instead.

2. Dasphios

Dasphios Chieftain

While it seems to me that this is a very silly thing to be complaining about, I suppose that, with the game not out yet, we don't have much else. However, there is a factor to consider that hasn't been mentioned so far: the fact that you speak a language, no matter how fluently, does not mean you'd make a good voice actor in it.

3. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

All this is true. In the end, it is disappointing, but probably not more (actually, if they told me they tried to get a voice actor who could speak ancient Egyptian but didn't like the result, I would just be slightly sad and move on). Right now, I'm either disappointed that they didn't succeed or disappointed they didn't try. And we're discussing it because we just more or less found out. In the end, this will be something I'd have to accept and move on.

4. Wani

Wani Chieftain

Or they just did not think it was necessary. If you look at japanese, it's even worst, quite often you just must know how the word is written if you want to be able to pronounce it.

流星 is ryûsei
    流れ星 is nagareboshi

Indeed. And whatever the language, in a movie "I am Imhotep, may your soul be devored by ten thousand scorpions!" with good acting will always sound better than "Hello, it's Ramses II. How may I help you today?".

5. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Prince

But one have to agree that the voice actor for Ramssess is pretty damn awesome.
    Compare it like this:
    Ramssess:
    Language:3 pts(Not right, though relevant as it is what Egyptians speak today) | Voiceacting:10 pts | Total: 13
    Montezuma:
    Language:8 pts(Not sure if it really is Classical Nahuatl)| Voiceacting: 2 pts | Total:10

6. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Is pronunciation easier or harder if that were katakana instead of kanji?

7. Wani

Wani Chieftain

That's the funny thing. If you write ryûsei down in kanas, then you are sure of the pronunciation, but you don't know what word it might be and must use the context to find out. It could mean "prosperity", "meteor", or just be a proper noun. (Yes I'm simplifying things quite a bit).

But we disgress :crazyeye:

8. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

But I do read as I write. :confused:
    Well, that's because I'm not anywhere near professional at translating. It's mostly the word meanings themselves, not the actually grammar, that throws me off most of the time. Not to mention that some Latin that we have to translate have the strange ability to confuse me by putting commas in very unnatural places.

Plus, I grew complacent with the idea that all ablatives have the - placed above the last letter but apparently, its only liked that for "beginner's" Latin. :lol:

9. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

Pfft, Japanese has nothing on English. You put the letters r-u-n together, and it could mean any of 179 possible definitions.(1)

Sources used:
    (1)Dictionary.com

10. generalwar

generalwar Philosopher

Someone has to love Latin too, right ;)?

11. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Chinese>Japanese

12. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Sorry to bump the thread, but I just had a random thought on this subject. If they couldn't get Ramses to speak Egyptian, what are the chances of them getting Nebuchadnezzar to speak Akkadian? Now I could be wrong about his language (maybe he spoke Aramaic, which would be much easier to find). Odds would be, however, that he would speak Iraqi Arabic.

If they added Carthage into the game, could they find someone to speak Punic? Would he speak Tunisian Arabic? What about if they added Sumeria? You could conceivably have five civs speaking Arabic (actually, what language did the Songhai speak? Would that be six?). I think that, when you get that many, someone's bound to notice that they're all speaking a dialect of the same language.

13. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

There's some West African language that was spoken by both the Malian and Songhai Empires that still is spoken today, I forgot its name.

But good point about the Arabic, nevertheless.

14. lifelessgamer

lifelessgamer Chieftain

I thought I was lucky speaking English so I can directly understand two civs, but it looks like Arabic speakers are the true lucky ones....

15. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

If by lucky you mean they get the most immersion-breaking experience, then yes, they are very lucky indeed.

16. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yeah, pretty much.

I don't suppose anyone knows what language the Carthaginians, Egyptians, Babylonians, and Sumerians spoke in Civ4? I realize it was basic unit commands and entirely different, but could at least give some indication.

17. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Even though I'm no expert on ancient languages, the Babylonians and Sumerians seemed to be speaking something that sounded Mesopotamian. Or at least it didn't sound Arabic.

18. sensual benny

sensual benny Commander

Civ 4 was funny with the languages sometimes. The Vikings speak nonsense as far as I can tell, and it couldn't have been that hard to use Icelandic, which is almost the same as Old Norse (in writing, at least. The pronunciation has changed of course, but you could say the same thing about English).

19. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

^Perhaps they used modern Swedish/Norweigian/Danish or something? Although even then it shouldn't be that much different from icelandic or Old Norse.

20. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I studied Old Icelandic in University. It was fun reading the sagas in the original Icelandic. :)

I think it would be very cool to have a Scandinavian Civ leader speaking old Icelandic.

It would certainly be more authentic.