1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What leaders do you miss in BTS?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Optimizer, Jul 23, 2007.

?

What leaders should have been included in BTS?

1. Thomas Jefferson, USA

25 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Theodore Roosevelt, USA

29 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Hiawatha, Native Americans

33 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. Philip II, Spain

53 vote(s)
    26.4%
  5. Francisco Franco, Spain

26 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. Joan of Arc, France

38 vote(s)
    18.9%
  7. Konrad Adenauer, Germany

14 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. Canute (Knut) the Great, Scandinavia

47 vote(s)
    23.4%
  9. Nero, Rome

21 vote(s)
    10.4%
  10. Maria Theresa, Holy Roman Empire

32 vote(s)
    15.9%
  11. Theodora, Byzantine Empire

35 vote(s)
    17.4%
  12. Vladimir Lenin, Russia

44 vote(s)
    21.9%
  13. Cleopatra VII, Egypt

44 vote(s)
    21.9%
  14. Tutankhamun, Egypt

12 vote(s)
    6.0%
  15. Haile Selassie, Ethiopia

32 vote(s)
    15.9%
  16. Abu Bakr, Arabia

48 vote(s)
    23.9%
  17. Xerxes I, Persia

49 vote(s)
    24.4%
  18. Jawaharlal Nehru, India

6 vote(s)
    3.0%
  19. Indira Gandhi, India

12 vote(s)
    6.0%
  20. Chiang Kai-shek, China

17 vote(s)
    8.5%
  21. Deng Xiaoping, China

13 vote(s)
    6.5%
  22. Meiji, Japan

69 vote(s)
    34.3%
  23. Hirohito, Japan

47 vote(s)
    23.4%
  24. Other

46 vote(s)
    22.9%
  25. I am happy with the included leaders

34 vote(s)
    16.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mightygodking

mightygodking Chieftain

Maybe it's just regional pride talking, but I wouldn't have minded seeing a Canadian Civilization, even with just one leader - John A. McDonald (Financial/Expansive), William Lyon McKenzie King (Charismatic/Creative), or Pierre Trudeau (Philosophical/Creative) would all have been suitable choices.

Also, we would get the Mountie as a UU and the Hockey Rink as the UB.

(But I wouldn't have minded seeing Knut, or Geronimo, or another Japanese leader.)

2. Croup

Croup Chieftain

In a number? 300.

I'm not a fan of Xerxes as an option, but he's noticeable now because of the movie.

I voted for pretty much any of the leaders that would give one-leader Civs the option that they should have. Canute, Abu Bakr, Franco, and especially the Meiji Emperor. Much more so than that chump Hirohito.

While I'm not going to open the Hitler can of worms, I see no reason to exclude leaders if they are more infamous than famous. After all, Stalin is in the game. Leaders like Franco, Tojo, *insert own pet favorite here* bring complexity to the game, which is a good thing.

3. Leodavinci

Leodavinci Great Merchant

I would like to have some Medieval European leaders (not Joan of Arc) from the times of Crusades and knights: Richard the Lionheart, Barbarosa, etc
    There is no true European Medieval leader in the game at the moment (one may argue about Viking guy and Charlemagne but ...)

4. A1CBOZ

A1CBOZ Prince

Having Nero as a leader would be comparable to having Hitler. (Though there are some leaders that already give everyone favorite Austrian a run for his money). He helped to kill Claudius, which put him on the throne, then after having his mother run the country for years he severed ties with her, then when she wanted another youth to take the throne, Nero poisoned him! He was had unsatiable lust, and cared nothing for the many women he married and had affairs with. He slowly killed all political rivals, including his mother, in his drive to absolute power. Anyone who spoke against him was killed or exiled. One of his high points was two succesful wars against Parthia over the province of Armenia, that more or less resulted in Parthis becoming a Roman vassal. He made himself popular with the lowerclasses at any expense, in an attempt to make his dictatorial policies acceptable. And he mercilessly put down the rebillion in Britian led by ever civers favorite big breasted celt, Boudica. In the Jewish rebellion, he destroyed the Temple of Solomon for no reason other than his contempt for Jews and religion in general. He did give massive relief out of his own pockets to the citizens of Rome after the fire that destroyed much of the city. Then when Romans blamed him for the fire, he choose Christians as the scapegoat and had all Christians found to be tortured, crucified and burned. Eventually he was exiled, and commited suicide.

So basically, he was the same as everyonther psycho-dictater. He did some good thigs for his country, but in the end, proved himself to be a madman driven by greed, and a hunger for power, without any restraint from morals or conscience, and had a total contept for religion.

What a emperor... I'm sure Stalin took notes....:goodjob:

5. dutchking

dutchking Deity

I said Lenin. I missed him so much (I'd rather have him then Stalin) I made him! :D (signature)

6. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

Al gore for the win :)

7. A1CBOZ

A1CBOZ Prince

^^ I would boycott Civ and Firaxis until I die...

8. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

Just a spelling correction. It is Maria Theresia, not Maria Theresa.

9. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

He certainly was not as insignificant as Haile Selassie.

As for certain other suggestions, Cleopatra was not Egyptian at all; she was Greek-Macedonian. The Meiji Emperor is impossible as a leader of the Japanese civ because the Japanese would not accept having an Emperor desecrated in that way. It has been covered in previous debates. Also, I mean no disrespect to Theodore Roosevelt, but does America really need a fourth leader? For the same reason, I am opposed to Joan of Arc even though I really liked her in Civ III.

10. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

If so, make it Carlos V, not Franco, What's so great about a rebellious general who overthrows the republic, massacres a lot of people (with the assistance of his friends Hitler and Mussolini) and harbours Nazi war criminals after the Second World War?

11. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

If you want a good Roman leader, as opposed to a cruel and incompetent one, you should go for someone like Hadrian or Marcus Aurelius.

Other considerations apart, isn't Reagan a bit too close in time? Furthermore, he did not "orchestrate the downfall of the Soviet Union" - the only thing he orchestrated was his own snoring. Still, my basic point is that I think leaders from WW II are already a bit too close in time, and I should like to see Mao go, and I am against all the modern civ leaders suggested. Jawaharlal Nehru, for Chrissake! Why not Sabu?