what most annoys you about Civ 6?

The disasters get to me at times. I've actually sworn off Apocalypse mode because the disasters would be my number one source of annoyance. It's a shame. I really enjoy the Soothsayers.

Then you know that part of the game where you sort of have it in the bag, but you still have to grind out like 50-75 turns.

The tedium of doing National Parks well. I use to enjoy it, but I've played way too many culture games at this point.

Micromanaging military units in a domination game. I consider this the hardest victory path because of how grindy it can feel. I had a domination win not long ago where I was at it from turn 13 to the end.

The tedium of doing National Parks well. I use to enjoy it, but I've played way too many culture games at this point.

They can still only be placed in vertical, right? That is annother anoyance.

There is a whole thread of annoyances on this forum, but just let me pickone thing: the absurd grievance system. I convert a neighbouring civ to my religion, and suddenly I'm denounced by a civ on the other side of the map because I "caused grievances to others" - when they have no reason to object. The AI is far too trigger-happy with denunciations.

I hate how a civilization randomly declared war on me and so I retaliated and marched in and took their cities and then all of the other civilizations denounced me and kept it that way for the entirety of the game (which, at this point, there were still something like 200-300 turns left).

I know what I did, I know why they denounced me, but it's still a bit harsh when I wasn't the one that declared the war to begin with. The civilization that declared war on me would never get this penalty.

This was only with the base game. I don't know how it is with the EPs yet.

Last edited:
Speaking of map generators, I hate how hard it is to get a good continental map with more than two continents. I've tested various configurations of the official maps in World Builder and although I find good configurations, when I actually play a game with those configurations I get two large continents and not what I saw generated for World Builder. >.<

I've downloaded good world mods like the Detailed Worlds mod and the Gaia mod but so far they haven't done what I want them to, either. I think I'm playing on a map with the latter mod and the continents it generated are good, but there is this GIANT area in the northwest of the map that is completely lacking in land and that's disappointing. Give me another continent for goodness's sake!

The AI. While there are so many great concepts in Civ 6, there is a point not far in when I get this weird, "this game isn't worth playing" feeling.

I think its cause once you defend an early AI warrior/archer rush, build a wall in your city nearest the AI, the challenge of the game is just over. The AI is pretty bad at handling everything in the game from there on out.

One thing that drives me constantly crazy, especially since it was an option in past Civ games in the franchise, is that Civ VI includes absolutely no diplomatic way to ask a Civilization to stop their war against a City State. I was shocked that the option wasn't in the game on release, but I always assumed it would end up being added. Years later though, the feature is still missing.

It's incredibly silly how I have to send an army to encircle a City-State ally of mine and then park that army there for literally the entire game. It's the only "peaceful" solution possible. The only other options are to declare war to protect the City-State or declare war to liberate the City-State. It's especially frustrating when the aggressor is an ally of mine too.

Diplomatic Victory. It is awful. Anytime you get close, you get dogpiled on by the AI that always seems to have enough votes to knock you down two points. On Epic, you are forced to wait another 30-40 turns to go through the slog AGAIN. I was just able to buy myself 15 votes. Not too shabby. Doesn't mean anything compared to the 57 the AI was able to throw against me. Next round, when I can maybe buy 20 with the diminishing returns, I'm sure I'll be voted down by 70. Why even bother?

I don't know why it is so difficult for the devs to admit that the mode is a complete failure and to actually TRY TO FIX IT! There has been more than enough complaints about how awful diplomacy is in general in this forum and I cannot imagine it fares better in other groups.

Diplomatic Victory. It is awful. Anytime you get close, you get dogpiled on by the AI that always seems to have enough votes to knock you down two points. On Epic, you are forced to wait another 30-40 turns to go through the slog AGAIN. I was just able to buy myself 15 votes. Not too shabby. Doesn't mean anything compared to the 57 the AI was able to throw against me. Next round, when I can maybe buy 20 with the diminishing returns, I'm sure I'll be voted down by 70. Why even bother?

I don't know why it is so difficult for the devs to admit that the mode is a complete failure and to actually TRY TO FIX IT! There has been more than enough complaints about how awful diplomacy is in general in this forum and I cannot imagine it fares better in other groups.

I do agree that the diplomatic victory is silly. The only way to succeed is to game the system and vote against yourself so that you only go down by 1 point instead of two, then gain points from the other categories. It's frustrating how far removed from diplomacy the "diplomatic" victory is. I could warmonger, break every promise, pillage to my heart's content and still win a diplomatic victory by syncing my votes with the rest of the world.

One thing that drives me constantly crazy, especially since it was an option in past Civ games in the franchise, is that Civ VI includes absolutely no diplomatic way to ask a Civilization to stop their war against a City State. I was shocked that the option wasn't in the game on release, but I always assumed it would end up being added. Years later though, the feature is still missing.

It's incredibly silly how I have to send an army to encircle a City-State ally of mine and then park that army there for literally the entire game. It's the only "peaceful" solution possible. The only other options are to declare war to protect the City-State or declare war to liberate the City-State. It's especially frustrating when the aggressor is an ally of mine too.

Or your Allies attacking your city state allies. Like that time France declared war on Belgium during WW2

Why the hell that doesn’t give you the option to break an alliance is beyond me

There are many things.

One thing that constantly bugs me though is the way the barbarians work in the game. Now, I'm a big fan of having the barbarians actually be a threat. But I hate the way their tech level seems to scale (on higher difficulties), that they are consistantly a bigger threat than other AIs (civ-states too for that matter if you happen to get dragged into a war with one), the way a barb will gladly chase me across a continent while ignoring other targets in its path, the way that city-states, barbs and other AI sometimes just feel like they are ignoring each other all together.

The way a camp will spawn a couple of tiles outside my borders and within a number of turns, an army stronger than any other in the world will start spawning.

As I said, I'm a fan of having challenging barbarians, but the way they function in Civ VI annoys me to no end at times.

The only other options are to declare war to protect the City-State or declare war to liberate the City-State. It's especially frustrating when the aggressor is an ally of mine too.
Or your Allies attacking your city state allies. Like that time France declared war on Belgium during WW2

Why the hell that doesn’t give you the option to break an alliance is beyond me
You can use one of these 2 Mods if you want a Fix/Workaround for that:
- Real Allies.
- City-State Defender.

I might add, sometime, an option to ask a Civ that's attacking a CS to stop that, if that's possible and I manage to get it to work for the nearly unmoddable diplomacy of Civ VI. But for now, those Mods might help you with that issue.

When Rise & Fall first came out I was really disappointed with the Loyalty mechanic. (This is especially annoying if you like to play huge maps).

It wasn't until after Gathering Storm (or perhaps even after NFP) that I was sold on it.

I would like to draw comparison to Amplitude's HUMANKIND. It has the concept of Influence, which is what Loyalty should have been. A missed opportunity for Firaxis, having released Loyalty half-baked IMO.

Perhaps for Civ VII? (Or Civ *next)?

There's a lot of small things but the one big thing is that the game just simply is a huge memory hog and often glitches or crashes if I have any browser windows open on my second screen. It's partially Chrome/FF's fault too, but no other game does this. Civ VI on a tiny map midgame seems like it uses twice the CPU and RAM as Civ V on a huge map with 20 players lategame. Or maybe Civ VI just handles being low on memory worse?

Did you try sending spies to decrease the number of envoys in the city states? I found the diplomatic victory rather easy actually. You absolutely need the statue of liberty though!!! The AI sucks at playing the diplomatic games.

This is normal, new mountains are much higher than older mountains due to erosion. Tectonic activities create mountains.
read again what I wrote.

Top Bottom