[RD] What motivates creationism?

Lohrenswald said:
(mostly christianity, but I think muslim variants exsist), and trying to do so more or less with (quasi-)sceintific terms, rather than "faith alone"

I've seen a few people arguing Muslim variants. Their arguments, from what I've seen, don't differ substantially from those made by Christians.

As for the whole deal about creationism and intelligent design being different things, this isn't really central,

I do think it's related to the topic though. Today the 'mainstream' of creationist thought has retreated behind the ID veil so understanding how and why ID differs from straight creationism (of the William Jennings Bryan variety) is helpful to understanding what motivates creationism generally.

Predictability is something very different from determinism.

How are they different? Predictions are relatively easy and can be proven in a deterministic universe. If the universe was devoid of any determinism, then predictions would never happen and humans would give up. Determinism is not just pointing out there is no other course of action. If a closed system acts on unchangeable laws, that is pretty deterministic, If there were no laws, could a system even exist? There is enough randomness built into the system to make one curious to figure things out.

If you're not going to bother responding to anything people posted in your own thread, why do you bother starting threads at all?

Up until post #60, it could have just been a fact finding experiment, but pointing out that it was a failed two way discussion, then was it ever looking for an answer?

If you're not going to bother responding to anything people posted in your own thread, why do you bother starting threads at all?

The way I think I see it is that I can't immidiately come up with a good response, so the thread goes on without me, and I end up feeling like I've fallen behind

How are they different? Predictions are relatively easy and can be proven in a deterministic universe. If the universe was devoid of any determinism, then predictions would never happen and humans would give up. Determinism is not just pointing out there is no other course of action. If a closed system acts on unchangeable laws, that is pretty deterministic, If there were no laws, could a system even exist? There is enough randomness built into the system to make one curious to figure things out.

In the case of QM we can predict the behavior of particles only over a large number of cases. The behavior of an individual particle is for all intents and purposes unpredictable. QM is probalistic, not deterministic, at least at the level of individual particles.

Top Bottom