What shall we research next?

What would you like to see done?

• Total voters
Yeah, we discussed this a while back.

I think anything we decide to do will be fun. But wouldn't you want to incorporate a quick 200 years (1500-1700) to show the excitement of colonization? The odds would be against any other civ besides Spain to get the conqueror's event, but it could add so much diversity to the game. The 1500s could be a matter of turns (possibly 10) which will only introduce you to the game. Only the Western Europeans will have the chance to see some early action.
-For example, in order for France or England to reach the Aztecs and Incas before Spain, they would have to declare war and sink their caravels against all odds, but the possibility could still remain.
The 1600s may be a bit longer starting in 1650, so say 15 turns. It would just be a chance for the Netherlands to cling onto their possessions in NA. But once the 1700s start, the game could pick up. We could see a Dutch Brazil, Dutch South Africa, and/ or a Dutch India. Or a French India. Or even Britain ousted from NA by the French.

If a 1453 - 1500 is considered, I think the Celtic/Byzantine slot should be replaced with the Iroquois.

Further development of non-European civs would be fun. Other people have done this but never in a balanced, quality way.

If we decide to do something concerning East Asia I might even be able to help :D

Remember also that all civs which are included should be able to get their UHV's (well maybe exept for the 3000 BC spawned civs like rome china india greece carthage and persia).
So for example Notre Dam should be pre-built in France (historicly correct) and Mali should have 1/3 UHV already completed with a decent amount of gold at start.

Kinda hoping for 1700 start, but can't wait to see to an RFC mod built from the ground up. (Came a little late for Europe).

A longer modern age would be nice. Wasn't the modern time given fewer turns in the last build? Seems there is hardly any time left to build the modern units and fight with them. That's why I likte to see a modern Rhye's and Fall mod, starting in 1870, not just a new start in the 1500's or 1700's.

stuff i'd like to see in RFC: longer modern age, flavoured religions and shisms, reworked corporations, possibility to spawn a vassal out of conquered lands (release colony option from vanilla?)

I was allso thinking about a unique historical event(UHE). Every civ could have a 90% chance of getting 1 UHE out of a set of 3 possible events (10% chance of getting none, 1 out of 3 , so it wouldn't be to deterministic).

For these events, I was thinking of something like:
Spain (Colombus event around 1500):
"A brave explorer asked you to support an expedition of exporation of the western seas."
1) Pay 50 gold and get a Caravel near Cuba
2) send him away

Dutch (Piet Heyn event, around 1600), or England (Francis Drake event)
"A brave naval captain requests permission for building a privateerfleet"
1) Pay 100 gold and get 3 privateers
2) Piracy is not the way of this nation!

England (Mayflower event, 1600's)
"A group of people seeks religious freedom in the new world"
1) let them go: get a settler in New England, lose 2 population in London
2) force them to stay and convert them: 2 angry faces of 10 turns in London, recieve 50 gold from claiming gold from heretics

France (Jeanne d'Arc event 1400's)
"A young maiden claims God speaks to her and will lead our civ to glory"
1) Get a great general and 3 knights, -3 in relations with all known civs
2) burn the witch, 1 angry face in all cities for 10 turns

Russia (Peter the Great's Reforms, around 1700)
"Your people are uneducated and this holds back our civ!"
1)Educated the people: get an academy in the capital and a libery in all cities bigger than 5 (pay 50 gold)
2)The barbarians can't be educated! (barracks give +1 XP more)

Has this been included in the latest patch? if so I support it enthusiastically!! :D

Just my lurker's 2 cents: I'd really love to see a Rhyes and Fall Modern-era mod, covering the entire world from either just after WW1 or just after WW2, dealing with the end of imperialism, new nations declaring independence, the start of ideological wars, the Cold War, etc.

There have been a fair number of scenarios and modpacks that deal with this era, but most tend to just throw new units and civs at it, without doing any real coding for the scenario. I think that you're one of the few people with the coding chops to give this period the mod it deserves.

We could expand the stability mechanism to deal with proxy wars/ideological conflicts/coups during the cold war, create more ideological conflicts, and use the existing functions of decolonization/nationalism

I would just like to throw the idea out there of independents becoming actual empires, so that when you or ai collapses there are a bunch of squabbling city states with no cohesion.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.
I apalogize if it was already mentioned.

I would just like to throw the idea out there of independents becoming actual empires, so that when you or ai collapses there are a bunch of squabbling city states with no cohesion.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.
I apalogize if it was already mentioned.

This is a cool idea, but I don't really see how it would be done, for a "real empire" to be created, the game would first need the civilization in place, with a leader, units, AI personality, etc. I guess if there were scattered independents in specific areas, it could work, but there are only a handful of "official" empires left, and personally I'd prefer sloppy usermade civilizations were kept to a minimum. Regardless, apparently the game is coded so that it's very difficult to add a new civilization, so the most you can probably hope for is that the original empire respawns.

They don't have to necessarily be made up, they could be other empires that aren't used
like Phoenecia or Mughal ect.

Ddude, the following is an understatement:

Regardless, apparently the game is coded so that it's very difficult to add a new civilization, so the most you can probably hope for is that the original empire respawns.

oh
then firaxis ought to try to fix that ( though they wont)
still good idea?
or not somuch/go away ?

It's not Firaxis' mod, Rhye created, and I am guessing that the Firaxis Team helped him with smoothing out gameplay and bugs. Yet, I am pretty sure that code is so complicated that there are many-many spots to add each civilization,, let alone many. Even if it was easy, it would slow things down, especially one for every region.
Beside, two independent civilizations allow you to imagine what nation each block is. I love doing that.

I'd like to see a kinda Greek infighting game with only the Greek polis in it fighting for controol of Greece. I know it didn't actually happen but it would be cool to see who would win. Leaders could be Cleomenes of Sparta, Pericles of Athens, Philip of Macedon (if Macedon was on the map), that sorta stuff.

Top Bottom