1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What should our expectations be of political candidates?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JollyRoger, Nov 10, 2011.

1. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

What do you expect actors and comedians to do for you? :)

I expect politicians to have more than half-a-brain, to surround themselves with trustworthy experts, to not pretend to know more than they do, and to not try to rob us blind. And to generally work towards the common good, even if they do put silver in their own pockets.

2. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

I might if he gets the republican nomination just so I can tell future generations that I lived through the terrifying "Reign of Cain".

3. Whiskey_Lord

Whiskey_Lord Deity

IIRC, Penn and Teller demonstrated that it was easy enough to throw off a lie detector by contracting your anal sphincter.

4. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

It's a technology that's in the process of improving. So, current lie detectors for now, better lie detectors as the techniques arrive. Run properly, it would lead to a system of increasingly honest political candidates.

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

That seems easy enough to detect.

6. pob

pob Deity²

I would like politicians to at least try to stick to their manifesto.

7. galdre

galdre Emperor

This seemed applicable to this thread

Spoiler :

8. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Expectations of politicians: carry out there manifesto they have been voted on (UK specific).

9. galdre

galdre Emperor

that certainly is applicable in the US as well - I can't take what any politician says seriously, since I know they won't deliver on it if they make it into office

10. timtofly

timtofly One Day

While I agree with you (somewhat). I think it is more important to know what one is running for. We have kidded ourselves into believing that a lie will never "catch" us. Even a liar can pass a lie detector test (pathologically) or even (ignorantly). If a person did know why he was in politics and stuck with what he knew, then voting would make more sense; than if we voted for who we "thought" represented us.

Not to mention the fact that the "president" was not the one "in control", but a check and balance system to the other two "branches". We may as well vote for dictators or kings and just "think" we have a representative who has our best interest at heart.

I would not expect any more out of who represents me, than I would expect of myself if I were to be in that position. To be truly democratic, one would not vote to elevate their own opinions over those of others, but to allow all to enjoy the same freedoms and responsabilities as is afforded equally. There is a difference between protecting society and putting one social norm above another social norm.

11. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

I'd really just like them to not lie. Also, when they do lie, for their base to abandon them.

12. Trev

Trev Prince

Debating is not an essential skill of a politician. The ability to assimilate information, make sound political choices and administer a state or country is far more important. People should pay far more attention to Perry's period as governor of Texas than his debating skills. A person under pressure in a forum like debating that he performs badly in will have increased risk of brain freezes. It does not reflect on his ability to govern. Far too much has been made of this issue.