1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What single thing annoys you most about Civ VI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Slip de Garcon, Aug 28, 2018.

1. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

I can't think of a perfect way to do it. I see these main options:
    1. Process auto-movement at the start of the turn, like in Civ 5. This is fine UI-wise, but means you will not get the chance to change move orders based on what happened during the AI turn.
    2. The current Civ 6 solution: process auto-movement at the end of the turn, abort ending the turn if some unit finishes without using all its moves. I can understand why they went for this option, but it is annoying sometimes, as pressing End Turn didn't actually end your turn.
    3. Make "Process auto movement" its own command, on a separate button near the End Turn button. Additionally, there will be some indication that there are units with available movement points. Pressing End Turn before all movement is resolved will produce a confirmation dialog (which can be turned off). This is clear and gives full control to the player, but introduces an extra click. I have seen it done in other games.
    4. Make the game precalculate the moves to see if ending the end turn would be interrupted. If so, change the End Turn button to a "Process auto movement" button. This is efficient, but is slightly unclear, as it makes it look like hitting the End Turn button in other situations will not process auto-movement.
    I honestly don't know for certain which one I'd prefer, although I might be leaning towards number 3.

2. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Chieftain

3 is best. I'd liked to be able to use it at the beginning of turn. I have a lot of times where I have to move units that would have auto-moved out of the way of units I need to move myself.

3. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Yea, a lot of people complain because they think the game could be better. I would assume people discuss a game bcause they actually play it and aren't just looking for more reasons to be salty. At least I hope.

I mean a good chunk of the complaints come from me but I just want the game to be better.

Aramanesh likes this.
  4. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Exactly. Especially when you have been with the franchise for... ever.

Aramanesh likes this.
  5. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

I would be glad if they release the source code, so the community could iron our those 'annoyances'.

Zenphys and Gedemon like this.
  6. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Chieftain

It's not just you. There is a reason that you built a mod to fix a UI issue, and that I built a mod that uses your mod to fix another UI issue.

It's an average product that only excels from nostalgia and lack of direct competition. It's over performing for what it is because it exists in a vacuum for now.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    SelmanV likes this.
  7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

The other option is to eliminate 1UPT. :D I know that may not necessarily affect auto moves, but it would solve some of the other unit movement complaints mentioned in this thread.

Does anyone remember how auto unit movement was resolved in civ 4?

8. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Chieftain

What a can of worms I've opened!

Regarding auto moves and the two presses of end turn, I don't see why they couldn't happen automatically after you've done your last manual move, then if any further commands are needed you carry them out. The fake 'end turn' command seems redundant.

9. smvalentine

smvalentine Chieftain Supporter

The make work fiddly nature of the government policies. It just doesn't make sense that you gain these abilities (e.g. train builders to do more things) and then forget how when you change focus later. It should be more like CiV where you choose what to spend culture on and then you have those abilities from then on. I like the civics tree paralleling the tech tree, but the policy management once you've unlocked them is tedious and nonsensical (at least for fundamental things like builder charges).

SelmanV likes this.
  10. tai4ji2x

tai4ji2x Chieftain

don't over-personalize the units. they're more like figurative representations/abstractions of what they're labelled as. builders getting more charges just means there are more policy resources dedicated to getting more out of the labor pool represented by a builder unit. they're not "forgetting" how to build once you drop the policy.

Zaarin and LoneDragon like this.
  11. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Strike the last paragraph. This is definitely the most annoying thing for me.

Anyone have any idea if there's a way to mod the war situation such that a civ can't be at war with a city state if they're allied with the city state's suz?

(My ally Wilhelmina just took out two of my city states. :mad: They weren't super valuable, but it's so wrong that she could do that and I can do nothing to punish her. I didn't have enough units near the city states to block their capture, but I could have at least taken out some of her forces if we hadn't been allies. :nono: But as allies, she shouldn't be able to attack my city states. :mad: I'm super annoyed at the moment if you can't tell. :gripe:)

agonistes, Aramanesh, Jkchart and 8 others like this.
  12. Vandlys

Vandlys Chieftain

That's why we need a protectorate system that's entirely seperated from the suzerain system. If I vow to protect a city state, I should get asked if I still want to protect it, and thus be declared war, if a Civ attacks my City State. Allies should then not even be able to contemplate to declare war, without first annulling their status of ally.

Aramanesh, Zenphys, Jkchart and 6 others like this.
  13. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom Chieftain

Loyalty is more of a chore than a fun dynamic at this point. For me, it ranks up there as most annoying.

ZubieMaster likes this.
  14. Timothy001

Timothy001 Chieftain

No real penalty for City State DOW.
    Some aspects of the UI (you can list all your cities, show what they are building, but then have to go to city to change it)
    The stuff that's hidden from the user.
    I love the game, but if this stuff plus the others were fixed, it would be a great game.

WAGinWNY and WillowBrook like this.
  15. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Chieftain

I’d like to address some annoyances here:

1) the auto cycling of units doesn’t annoy me because I’ve never used it

2) the protectorate war issue: I don’t think that being the suzerain should ‘automatically’ put you in a declaration of war with the aggressor. You may wish to abandon the CS and leave it to its fate. That’s why the option to ‘declare a protectorate war’ exists. Being dragged into a war for a CS automatically when you don’t really want it would be even more annoying in my view.

3) the continents map: this is an annoyance. In my view there should be an equal (as much as possible in each continent and continents should not so ‘snaky’

4) no real consequences for DOW CS. I think that being able to do this is actually historical accurate: empires grew by conquering city states. Second, the protectorate or liberation casus is the ‘consequence’ of attacking a city state. If I declare a protectorate war or liberation war I can wipe out the enemy with no warmongering penalties. That is the consequence.

Stringer1313 likes this.
  16. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

That works if you aren't allies. And I would be fine with the game remaining that way for non-allies if protectorate war were available from the start of the game.

But if you're allies, you can take out your ally's city states with impunity. I see three ways to handle this situation: (1) don't allow a civ to attack a city state if allied with the suzerain, (2) allow a civ to declare a protectorate war against an ally, or (3) automatically break the alliance if a civ attacks an ally's city state, allowing the suzerain to declare a protectorate war. I'd be okay with any of those, but I fear with the latter two, the AI would still appear to act in random and self-destructive ways.

You could also have, as someone suggested above, separate from suzerainity, a pledge to protect as in Civ V. I didn't play V, so I don't know exactly how it worked, but if it allows me to actually protect city states I want to protect by fighting the units of whoever is attacking them, I'd be happy with that solution, too.

King Rad and Tech Osen like this.
  17. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

18. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Yes, and I'd think it would be the easiest to code (but I'm no expert).

19. TheodoreTrump

TheodoreTrump Chieftain

the terrible AI. the lack of variety, the slower pace than civ4 or civ5. I'm playing civ4 at the moment.

ZubieMaster likes this.
  20. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

It's not that you forget it's a simulation of government policies and priorities and it's great that's it's flexible and more like Civ IV's slider than Civ V's boring system.