1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What single thing annoys you most about Civ VI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Slip de Garcon, Aug 28, 2018.

1. shmily_dana

shmily_dana Chieftain

Me : "Unit, I want you to move across the continent"
    Unit : "OK, it will take 10 turns"
    Me : "I'll tell you want I want when you get there". (I hit 'next turn')
    Unit : "I stopped moving because someone is where you sent me last turn"
    Me : "Why did you stop, you are still NINE turns away?" "That other unit is just passing thru, it won't be there in 9 turns..."

Elhoim, Aramanesh, Zenphys and 4 others like this.
  2. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

I'm also surprised nobody mentioned the Agenda system yet. For a system that is supposed to add so much personality, it really missed its mark. There are a few exceptions (Gilgamesh, Gorgo, Tomyris), but pretty much every AIs behaves the same in spite of having different built-in agenda's (ie: like Harvey Dent after a coin flip)

Not to mention it further adds to the charicaturization (as opposed to characterization) of the leaders included in the game.

ZubieMaster likes this.
  3. qadams

qadams Bohemian

"What single thing annoys you most about Civ VI?"

You mean, in addition to the inane, absurd quotes for Eurekas and Inspirations?

Well, besides that, one thing that really bugs me is when the battle calculator tells me I can expect a Decisive victory, and by all rights I should, yet after the attack my opponent is somehow left standing with one single health point — which means I have to waste a whole other turn waiting until I can finish him off. SO aggravating!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    SelmanV, Aramanesh, Zaarin and 3 others like this.
  4. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

You are right, and this is so easily solved that one has to wonder if they are awake... remove the hard cap of "one district per type per city" and problem solved.

Side effect: city specialization is back!

King Rad and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  5. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom Chieftain

I concur on lack of a Worldbuilder. They have not yet fixed the tedious boredom that comes in later eras...nor figured out how to properly "do" units.

6. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

For me it's the fact that city production doesn't scale with eras. During mid-game, but especially in late-game, you get a lot more out of forest/rain forest chops or resource harvests than via actual city production. To me, it was always a pleasure to see my cities grow and be able to produce stuff in a meaningful time frame. Now, it's all about chops/harvest. A travesty really.

Atlas627, ZubieMaster and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  7. Banazir864

Banazir864 Chieftain

The AI. If I have to be more specific, most of the agendas. Specifically, the ones that amount to "I hate you for playing the game normally" (Pericles/Frederick are the most annoying here) or "I hate you for factors beyond your control" (e.g., Wilhelmina when you're out of trade range or Mvemba when he's too far for your religious units to reach him before he throws his tantrum). At least they got rid of the "I hate you entirely at random" ones (Curmudgeon/Flirtatious).

It's like their entire design process for the agendas consisted of a single brainstorming session that they rubber-stamped without modification or a single thought to how these agendas would play.

8. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

9. drubell

drubell Chieftain

The game doesn't tell you what a Domestic Tourist is in any capacity, so that means the game doesn't tell you how to win a Cultural Victory.

Most of my issues are UX related (including the amount of unnecessary clicks required to play the game) but the game not defining a victory condition really represents my disappointment in the game's shoddy UX

Atlas627, Banazir864 and ZubieMaster like this.
  10. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Chieftain

As I understand the initial question, we should not discuss major game design issues but rather narrowly understood annoyances. For me those would be:

- micromanagement of unit movement (since in practice it is impossible to have a unit travel uninterruptedly across the map);

- friendly units blocking tiles in my empire (yes, I declared friendship with you so your warrior can spend 2000 years blocking my resource from improvement by a builder... Sigh);

- fake "next turn" prompt, while some units still await commands;

- the auto-cycling glitches.

11. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Chieftain

I'd forgotten about that. It appears that the "end turn" button appears before all the queued moves take place every turn, then you have to press it again.

12. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

You only have to press it again if a unit with queued movement reaches it's destination and still has movement points left. Then the game prompts you to look at the unit and decide if you want to do anything else with it this turn.

I'm not sure how else they could handle this process.

Atlas627, Aramanesh and Tech Osen like this.
  13. Denounced_Warmonger

Denounced_Warmonger Chieftain

This is funny because I have pretty much the same gripes about auto-cycling and long term movement. What I really gets under my skin is the constant denouncing for warmongering - especially when a civ is a warmonger itself. It never stops from that point on. Yes, I am a warmonger and no I don't need to hear it from you every few turns, followed by every other civ. Then there are the constant demands made by those civs, who are not in any position to demand anything from me. Please let me at least close my doors/diplomatic access so I don't have to keep hearing the same thing over and over. Talk behind my back with the others, but don't pop up on my screen every turn you get a chance to denounce me. Even when I try to go peaceful, it never stops. I just made a trade deal, trying to be all friendly and atone for my sins, and the next turn that civ denounces me.There's got to be a better way to get rid of warmonger penalties.

I do love the fact that warmongering is so much less punitive in Civ6 as opposed to Civ5. Happiness was always my biggest obstacle in Civ5 from going and playing the higher levels. After I get the concepts of Civ6 down, having recently just started playing it, I think I'll be more inclined to play up to diety here.

Aramanesh and ZubieMaster like this.
  14. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

For me its the maps.
    Not enough TSL maps, not enough variety of map scripts.

15. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Chieftain

One thing that would help (I think it was from Heroes Might & Magic) is to have a button you can press that has all of your units that already have paths execute their movement for the turn. At least that way you won't accidentally move your own units into the way.

16. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

In Civ 5, your auto-move units went at the beginning of the turn. But then if you wanted to change your mind and manually move one of the auto-move units, it was too late - you could only stop it and wait until the next turn to manually move it. So for Civ 6 they changed it so that your auto-move units go at the end of the turn (and you were able to change your mind before you hit "End Turn"), but now we have the end-of-turn-fake-out situation. Honestly, I think I prefer Civ 5's method in hindsight.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  17. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Chieftain

Maybe simply rename the first, fake "next turn" to "process unit auto-movement", if applicable.

18. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

This thread is worrying. If you read it through, everyone has its own "worst", but I find myself concurring with all the other "worsts"... meaning, as this list becomes longer and longer, it becomes also a bad testament to the quality of the game, even after the first expansion.

Is it me, or is anyone else also finding that other people's "worsts" are their second, third, etc...?

SelmanV, ZubieMaster and Sherlock like this.
  19. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Well, no game is perfect, but I don't think lists of flaws or annoyances necessarily make VI a terrible game so much as an unfinished one. Even BNW post patches for Civ V always had some unfinished feeling to it (but at least it allowed queueing multiple things per city).

AmazonQueen and Zaarin like this.
  20. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

This
    Personally I like Civ VI, I think it has some really good features, and some really annoying flaws as well

SammyKhalifa and Zaarin like this.