What the heck is "LEVEL 5 unit"

First level = 0-1 experience points
Second level = 2-4 xp
Third Level = 5-9 xp
Fourth level = 10-16 xp
Fifth level = 17-25 xp

Each unit starts at level 1, and when they achieve 2, 5, 10, 17, and 26 experience points the go up a level (I haven't had higher than 26 so I don't know if there is another level). A level 5 unit would be a unit with 17 or greater experience points.

It's one less than a level six unit and one more than a level 4 unit.

No one around here ever listens to me. Thank God.

Steve2000 said:
Second level = 2-4 xp
Third Level = 5-9 xp
Fourth level = 10-16 xp
Fifth level = 17-25 xp

Each unit starts at level 1, and when they achieve 2, 5, 10, 17, and 26 experience points the go up a level (I haven't had higher than 26 so I don't know if there is another level). A level 5 unit would be a unit with 17 or greater experience points.
In other words: It's a unit with four promotions.

(Promotion: a unit has a certain chance of being promoted in combat when victorious. Results in blue glowing unit and you can pick a unit bonus with the blue/gold buttons).

M.

Xenocrates said:
It's one less than a level six unit and one more than a level 4 unit.

No one around here ever listens to me. Thank God.
lol :rotfl:

Mercade said:
In other words: It's a unit with four promotions.

Not necessarily, since some units start with free promotions, e.g. if you play an aggressive civ, or have built the red cross in the city that builds the unit. The required experience points for level 5 stay always the same though, so this is the less ambiguous information.

(whippersnapper mode off) ;)

Some units start with promotions regardless of who builds them - marines, mech inf for example.
The unit's level is listed next to its experience in the unit info section of the GUI when the unit is selected - if you have at least one at level 5 you can build West Point.

If you have a unit of 17 XP or over and you give it as many promotions as you can then you will have a level 5 unit. Note that if you have a unit with XP (17/10) then it is still a level 4 unit. You have to actually promote it to make it level 5.

Mercade said:
(Promotion: a unit has a certain chance of being promoted in combat when victorious. Results in blue glowing unit and you can pick a unit bonus with the blue/gold buttons).

Not entirely correct. When a unit engages in battle, it can gain experience, and when it reaches the amount for the next level, it then is eligible for a promotion, and will glow blue on your next turn.

How many promotions does your unit have? Select it and count the promotion icons in the information panel. If you see 4, it is a level 5 unit (it does not get a promo as a level 1 unit)

Certain things (barracks, certain civics) give more experience to new units, therefore granting some one, two, or (very rarely) more promotions

Why are people advising the OP to count promotions when the unit's level is displayed on the screen at the same time? Seems like a whole load of extra work to me: (Count several things, then check if you're agressive and what type the unit is, possibly taking away one from your total, then check the 'paedia to see if the unit starts with a promotion and take away another one if necessary, then try to remember if you built it in the city with red cross and take another 1 off assuming it's a unit which CAN get medic promotions, and finally, if this number is 4 or more then you have a level 5 unit) vs (look at a number. If it's 5 or more, you've a level 5 unit right there) is a no-brainer, surely?

seems that it is looong way to grow such an unit. Entire army has to "work" and "die" in order to see at least one.

Psyringe said:
Not necessarily, since some units start with free promotions, e.g. if you play an aggressive civ, or have built the red cross in the city that builds the unit. The required experience points for level 5 stay always the same though, so this is the less ambiguous information.

(whippersnapper mode off) ;)

If I remember right, they start with free skills, not free promotions.

Crist2000 said:
seems that it is looong way to grow such an unit. Entire army has to "work" and "die" in order to see at least one.

Having an agressive civ, with the vassalage and therocracy civic helps. I've had level 3 units with that setup, and it doesn't take long to get to level 4. Level 5 is a bit more work, but it should be.

I am a bit dull this today, but it is not clear to me from the thread what the answer is. Do the free "skills" that a unit starts with count as an increase in level? Ie. does a unit built by an aggressive civ in a city with the red cross start at level 1 or 3?

:lol: This is getting ridiculous so here is another stab at it :ninja:

1/All units begin at level 1

2/Everytime you promote your unit through experience you gain a level
(experience can be gained by buildings such as barracks and Pentagon, by civics such as Vassalage or Theocracy, by popping a goody hut or by winning a battle)

3/Therefore

Steve2000 said:
Second level = 2-4 xp
Third Level = 5-9 xp
Fourth level = 10-16 xp
Fifth level = 17-25 xp

And (as BeefontheBone commented )you can just look at the unit info at the bottom left of the screen (where the promotions, unit strength movement points etc are located) and it says what lvl the unit is currently at.

Example:
(As Chieftess pointed out) if you have vassalage and Theocracy and build a unit in a city with the barracks you'll get a unit with 8 xp points (Third Level unit) Two point from there you have a forth level unit (at 10xp) and in 7 xp points you'll have a fifth level unit.

To add to the clarity (hopefully), promotions are distinct from levels. Gaining a level gives a unit a promotion, but is by no means the only source.

Top Bottom