What to research after agriculture?

What do you want to research after agriculture?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dutchfire

Deity
Retired Moderator
What do you want us to research after agriculture? (In case we'll do agriculture first.)

Fishing
Pottery
Animal Husbandry
Archery
Mysticism
Mining
Abstain

Poll is public and open for 2 days.

Discussion thread

What do you want us to research after agriculture? (In case we'll do agriculture first.)

Fishing
Pottery
Animal Husbandry
Archery
Mysticism
Mining
Abstain

Poll is public and open for 2 days.

You forgot to link to the discussion in the SEER: Starting Path thread - so I do it for you ;)
Nothing like keeping everyone informed about our discussions ;)

Edit: and I still favor Agri -> Mining -> Bronze so my vote was obvious :)

Mining.

We've got some useful resource near us that we'd benefit from. Hopefully we'll have a settler in 2-3 game sessions, and can start expanding.

-- Ravensfire

Have any religions been founded yet?

To be 100% sure it would be necessary to look at the save, but it's about 99.9% likely that no religions have been founded. There hasn't been enough time to research one. (the ~0.1 chance is that someone popped a hut within the 1st 4 turns, and got the right tech)

There's a 2nd question behind this, right? I'll anticipate it being, can we get a religion if we start now?

If nobody started with mysticism, then it might be very easy to get a religion since agriculture/animal husbandry and mining/bronze working will be the AI priorities. If one civ started with mysticism, then we would have a good chance to get Hinduism since they seem to always go for the cheaper Buddhism. If two or more civs started with mysticism, I don't know what our chances would be, but I'd say diminished at best.

None of the DP's have reported seeing a religion founded in a distant land message, so I'd assume none have been founded.

I'd expect an easy time getting a religion if we moved quickly even if there are two civs that started with mysticism they'll both race for meditation and waste many turns on that allowing us to get polytheism very easily, at least thats what my experience has been in other prince difficulty games.

If we do however move further along the resource gathering path I belive the cheiftan ( I could be wrong can't seem to find the post right now ) made a post detailing a plan to get code of laws by the oracle and thus found a later religion very easily.

We need to discover skills for our workers and also strategic resources so we can determine where to settle next. Mining should be the next tech so we can start chopping forests. After that BW and AH.

I can understand the need for skills for our workers. Wait, how many workers do we have?

I voted for mysticism. We should make a run for Hinduism while we still can.

@DaveShack: Thanks for anticipating the second question and answering it. :)

I agree with Donsig, we should try and get polytheism as quick as possible. If that doesn't work, we still have monotheism right after that. We can easily get a religion.

We need to research mining to unlock the secrets of the Earth

I voted Animal Husbandy to see if there are horses. We need it for our UU.

(the ~0.1 chance is that someone popped a hut within the 1st 4 turns, and got the right tech)

You can't pop religion techs from huts (if I remember it correctly).

We don't need a religion, we'll be able to have silver + gold + forges = 4:) before we'll ever get into serious happiness problems.

we should wait to see whats going on...I voted mining so i have a voice in this. But honestly we should see if anyone gets a religion...if no religions pop up and we see no close in neighbors we may go for an early religion. Dutch...religion gives us promotions and build speed advances...those should be included in your thoughts as well.

We also need to decide fairly early...are we going to be warriors or builders. Again we cant decide until a few more turns. If we explore and see we are alone on a island then we can delay the metal techs. And grab a religion. NOW if we have a neighbor and he is one of the likely early religion founders, we can get metal and HBR and war our way into holiness.

/we need to slow down and not get to far ahead of ourselves. Civ is a changing game and you cant plan 10-20 turns ahead at this point in the game. Once you do so you are locked into a certain type of game for a long time.

When I asked how many workers we have that wasn't a rhetorical question. Anyone know the answer?

When I asked how many workers we have that wasn't a rhetorical question. Anyone know the answer?

As I think you're aware, since it's so early in the game...... Zero.

In Six turns our capital will be size two, at which point Chieftess has instructed the DP to start production of our first Worker.

I estimate this Worker will take about 9 turns to complete after growth.

So approx. 15 turns till our first worker in total. (actually an equal amount of turns to if we started building the worker right now).

And FYI:
We will have Agriculture in 4 turns.
Both Mining and Mysticism will take 8 turns after that (even after growth), so 12 turns to finish our first tech after Agriculture.
So Agriculture + Mining gives us the three "main" improvements (roads, mines, irrigation) 3 turns before we get our first worker.

I assume you're trying to get at is "Why are we researching worker techs without any workers?" The answer is a sort of a chicken and the egg scenario.
No point to build workers without stuff for them to do. But then no point in giving our non existent workers things to do, since we don't have 'em.

The worker techs (agriculture and mining) are prerequsistes for the resource techs (animal husbandry and bronze working). The critical objective IMO is finding the resouces so we'll know where to settle future cities.

Did we start with the wheel? I don't remember offhand. If we don't then we don't have roads yet.

Top Bottom