What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding was that the patch 3.0 basically cut off growth past a certain number of total pops. I like to play into the 2600s and beyond and fill the galaxy with megastructures and pops, which in my understanding became basically impossible to do because of exponentially spiraling growth costs. I read people complaining that because they hit a certain number of pops empire-wide, they could no longer grow any pops even on new planets or megastructures. Not true?

I've never pushed it that far, but I can see the growth curve getting pretty low at that point. That said, there are parameters you can adjust in the game setup to change the rate of growth reduction, so you might be able to get it working how you want. Performance will probably be pretty poor though.

My understanding was that the patch 3.0 basically cut off growth past a certain number of total pops. I like to play into the 2600s and beyond and fill the galaxy with megastructures and pops, which in my understanding became basically impossible to do because of exponentially spiraling growth costs. I read people complaining that because they hit a certain number of pops empire-wide, they could no longer grow any pops even on new planets or megastructures. Not true?
Factually false, but functionally its truer than not. It would definitely get in your way.

It also the two options called Growth Scaling and Growth Ceiling in game creation settings.

I've been playing System Shock 2. I keep dying.
After dying several times, I finally defeated a major boss. Then I immediately died by running into a wall at high speed.

I've never pushed it that far, but I can see the growth curve getting pretty low at that point. That said, there are parameters you can adjust in the game setup to change the rate of growth reduction, so you might be able to get it working how you want. Performance will probably be pretty poor though.

I got a new job and after about 3 or 4 paychecks (we only get paid once monthly) i should be able to splurge on a computer, i intend to get a beefy processor to play pdox games like lightning!

Anyway good to know there are growth-related options for starting a game, that makes me feel pretty good about trying it again.

That was done because managing pop was an absolute nightmare as it never stopped increasing well past what any planet could physically provides in jobs.
IIRC, the pop decrease was relative to the room available on each planet ? (it's been a long time I've played Stellaris, my memory is foggy here)

I am very good at breaking games :smug:

After dying several times, I finally defeated a major boss. Then I immediately died by running into a wall at high speed.
I've never played the System Shock series but based on your experiences it sure does sound like Dark Souls. Praise the Sun!!

Not true as such but it kind of depends on how you play.

If you stack pop growth enough you can still grow pops fast. Hives and synthetic ascension sliw down but still outperform normal empires. Bio ascension has the highest pop growth so bio ascended hive is best bet stacking budding and fertile traits

Budding also helps especially with hives. More pops you have in a planet more pop growth.

The numbers also only apply to individual empires. You can release vassals on things like Gaia worlds and their population can take off. Especially with incubators or fertile trait.

You xan also spam colony shops each one can give you 2-3 pops. Build a dozen at a time, turn jobs off the pops migrate somewhere else that has them. Settle crap worlds or at worst habitats.

Finally you can just take other people's pops. Especially easy if you're authoritarian, xenophobic or necrophage.

Pops are also kinda less important than previously (morebis generally always better). I've had 600 odd pops o 6-8 planets and outbpriduced larger empires due to mechanics. A single Ecumenopolis can produce over 2000 alloys by itself. I've hit 700+ Alloys in 90 odd years with 6 or 7 planets and 240 pops.

I haven't played Stellaris in ages. It was a fun game. A lot like Civilization as I recall, particularly that full game mod of Civ 4 that took place completely in space, but much better. It also had elements that reminded me of Spaceward Ho!, Star Control and also a little bit of the X-series games.

The last time I played it I was using the Star Trek Mod, which was very cool, but ultimately, I found that I preferred the vanilla aliens races that the game already has.

I haven't played Stellaris in ages. It was a fun game. A lot like Civilization as I recall, particularly that full game mod of Civ 4 that took place completely in space, but much better. It also had elements that reminded me of Spaceward Ho!, Star Control and also a little bit of the X-series games.

The last time I played it I was using the Star Trek Mod, which was very cool, but ultimately, I found that I preferred the vanilla aliens races that the game already has.

Yeah it's changed a bit. Probably the best Paradox franchise. That or CK.

Stage 2 began today. I loaded up my save from two (thousand) years ago in 2021 and I was pleasantly surprised to finally grind up to have enough lung capacity to be given the weird ship mission.

OTOH the @#$%ing tamagotchi requisites are still annoying and for some reason the @#$%ing RC planes don't @#$%ing have the same controls as in any other iteration of GTA so that's a mission I just cannot do - I can still do stuff with Wu Zi Mu and Cesar, luckily.

Stage 2 began today. I loaded up my save from two (thousand) years ago in 2021 and I was pleasantly surprised to finally grind up to have enough lung capacity to be given the weird ship mission.

OTOH the @#$%ing tamagotchi requisites are still annoying and for some reason the @#$%ing RC planes don't @#$%ing have the same controls as in any other iteration of GTA so that's a mission I just cannot do - I can still do stuff with Wu Zi Mu and Cesar, luckily.
Approach the RC planes like you would the copter from VC, and rely on cheesing it.

I tried, but the controls don't work the same way!

Also, I really wish that they'd made Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories available for PC. I'd've played them.

I started playing the demo of Old World today and I'm kind of digging it, but not quite enough to jump to the full paid version. I'm continuing to probe it, though. I don't like fixed city sites, but the family dynamics and the MUSIC -- my lord, the music. Christopher Tin is one touched by the Muses, as the ancients would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom