What was your reaction to Stadiums and Theaters (Zoos) getting neutered...

Stadiums now provide half the happiness benefit for the same price

• Wow

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • I never build them, didn't even notice

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Sayounara

King
I thought 1500 (marathon speed) for +4 local happiness was bad before, now it's the same price with +2 local happiness. LOL!

Not very many options to vote for ;)

With good policies and ideology tenets though it doesn't really matter, though. I guess the building :c5happy: nerf is a bit of encouragement to focus on :c5culture:

Not a very good poll. Neiter of these options (one of which, that one being "wow" is quite nebulous and up to interpratation) really captures what I felt, and I think many others will feel the same.

Happiness is now more easily supplemented by ideological tenets. Late game happiness buildings were shaved down, I think, to accommodate (or facilitate the need for) these new policies.

[ ] Wow
[ ] I never build them, didn't even notice
[X] A well deserved nerf for late game happiness

[ ] Wow
[ ] I never build them, didn't even notice
[X] A well deserved nerf for late game happiness

This. In the late game there is enough opportunity to generate happiness with the ideology trees + happiness should be a challenge for the player.

Note - i play emperor and in BNW (only two full games thus far) i've noticed that the AI also is challenged by happiness - which is good to see.

I usually have tons of happiness by end game. By deciding where I was going early, attempting to build wonders(harder levels the AI beats me to most), and picking social policys that help me create my goal goes a long way in keeping the happiness high.

Makes playing wide a bit trickier but I prefer tall anyway, so no big deal for me.

It's a bit of a problem with wider strats. Even with the ideology happiness-tenets, you may find that its a fairly nasty surprise. I was playing as a rather wide (and growing) Russia that had started off with Liberty and was heading for world domination. Because I took Autocracy (for Clausewitz' Legacy, which I got after totally eliminating my first victim), I ended up having a devil of a time even with Stadiums in a handful of cities. I took the first-tier tenets for happiness from military structures and defensive structures and started spamming walls-castles and barracks-armories-military academies just to break even. Only once I added the happiness boost to courthouses was I safe from going into -10 happiness or more with every city I conquered. Bear in mind, this was all even with a decent number of stadiums already up.

I think it's a sizable penalty, for stadiums to provide less happiness, in regards to wide civs. Luckily, I got to ideologies fairly quickly in my game as Russia; I can't imagine what would have happened had I somehow not had coal, because I rushed 3 factories for the ideology.

In a worst-case scenario, one might find no coal and not be able to trade for it for one reason or another, and in that case, it's a long wait until the Modern Era for ideologies. Which is why I do think nerfing stadiums that much is an issue. Also bear in mind, there is now no SP in Rationalism that provides happiness. So, all things considered, happiness in the latter half of the game is now harder to come by, significantly so if you don't get an ideology right away via the 3 factories...

There could be a buff to those buildings put somewhere into liberty.

Liberty already has two happiness bonuses, though. I'd start by buffing one of those.

I think it was needed. Culture GP are no longer on the same bars as the other GP which means you can play a "science" game and still pick up policies like you would normally when going culture in G&K.

Also, happiness was too abundant in G&K anyway.

Whenever I play wide I keep my cities capped at whatever size I could afford and keep that in mind when invading. In the past I had to defend against an AI that I could have taken down and or even paid to get them off me so I could have a chance to fix my happiness before attempting to take a town. I guess it depends too on how wide you go. My most is around 10 or 12 large cities with only maybe 7 or 8 of those above 10 and rest around 6 or 7 by end game with fairly good happiness throughout my civ.

I think it was too severe. Even if happiness was not an issue, these things should contribute more to golden ages with their production and maintenance costs. Between social policies, religions and ideologies, there are plenty of buildings that give +1 to happiness on top of their normal bonus. What's the point of building an expensive +2 happiness building with no other bonus except as a last resort?

Top Bottom