Votes: 130 52.8%
  • Alternative Leader for existing civ

Votes: 16 6.5%
  • Something diffirent from leaks

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's pretty clear who CivFanatics expect at this point. I fully expect something purple in the livestream. But I won't be able to watch it live, so y'all still have to take good notes. :).

(Off topic: why do I still have Christmas smilies on my phone but not on my desktop?)

Do we have a thread where we discuss the possible abilities of new possibles civs ? I'd like to know what you guys can come up with Phoenicia or Ottomans.

Do we have a thread where we discuss the possible abilities of new possibles civs ? I'd like to know what you guys can come up with Phoenicia or Ottomans.
I liked my idea for Phoenecia. Unique City Center District (Cothon, with alternate art, which I know in real life is a harbor) which can only be built adjacent to water but grants a TR and free boat on settling, and can build harbor buildings in addition to CC buildings.

Unique Governor Hannibal.

I liked my idea for Phoenecia. Unique City Center District (Cothon, with alternate art, which I know in real life is a harbor) which can only be built adjacent to water but grants a TR and free boat on settling, and can build harbor buildings in addition to CC buildings.

Cothon is an "ancient Harbor" and the preserved Cothon "reveal dug-out artificial basins connected to the sea by a channel". So everything lead toward a Canal district replacement, but somehow, I still wish for an Water Commercial Hub, like the Water Park. I always find strange that the Suguba replace the "standard Commercial Hub" as if there was a non-standard CH.

Like @Aurelesk I think the Cothon will be a Canal district replacement. Not the best idea IMO, but the most logical viewing the situation.

But I like the idea that Phoenicia have to settle on the coast. Could be a little like the benefits from Australia, but it would totally fit the eneral GS gameplay to "play the map", direction that pretty every civ of the expansion has taken. I'd like a component giving Phoenicia a "city-state league" flavour, but it could be difficult to implement. I highly doubt the unique governor would be phoenician, though: for me, it's more something that would fit Ottomans and their more "general, all-rounded" civ type.

But with Mali having the "trade-route trade" focus, I wonder what could be Phoenicia. because if it's just the same as Mali but on coast, I think it could be "meh".

But with Mali having the "trade-route trade" focus, I wonder what could be Phoenicia. because if it's just the same as Mali but on coast, I think it could be "meh".
Expansion/Colonization, for example:
  • Coastal cities ignore foreign loyalty pressure.
  • An expensive UU that is basically a weak warship, but has the ability to found a city once.
  • Luxuries from other continents than your capital give more amenities, including the ones you get from trade

Why do people insist on a canal replacement? Cothons were not canals.

I think a City Center replacement is more likely, if it's not a harbor (which would be ridiculous given that Cothons were harbors, the best of their kind in the classical world)

I like the idea of the Cothon being a unique City Center replacement, that must be built on land close to water (I would say coast, but maybe it could be lakes too, for a little bit more versatility). That would be a major drawback, as is the trend they did with lots of other civs for GS.

• An expensive UU that is basically a weak warship, but has the ability to found a city once.
  • Luxuries from other continents than your capital give more amenities, including the ones you get from trade

This is awesome. I liked that, mainly the UU ability to found cities.

omg that warship idea is incredible. now that I know your suggestion for phoenicia, its gonna make the actual design disappointing lol

Well, it's nice to see we're all in agreement here. :p Personally I expect Phoenicia > Eleanor de Franglais > Ottomans.

Barring new info, and unless they expect the alt leader to be off the charts cool, I think she'll be next. I imagine most folks will be less excited for an alt leader than for Carthage or the Ottomans, so they'll save two very exciting civs for last to eek out every last drop of excitement.

Barring new info, and unless they expect the alt leader to be off the charts cool, I think she'll be next. I imagine most folks will be less excited for an alt leader than for Carthage or the Ottomans, so they'll save two very exciting civs for last to eek out every last drop of excitement.

It's not the alt-leader itself, but rather the dual-leadership mechanic she is purported to have that would drive hype.

It's not the alt-leader itself, but rather the dual-leadership mechanic she is purported to have that would drive hype.

I'm including that in my estimation - I mean, you just summed up the mechanic yourself. Not that exciting. It has less potential than the potential of a full fledged civ.

I think we can all agree that they would be heavily incentivized to settle on coast, with non-coastal cities being almost a burden. I also think people overlook how likely science is to be a focus for Phoenicia with all their improvements to the maritime, trade, and most importantly, writing. Also they should have at least one diplomatic favor mechanic tied to trade. Also some form of "monopoly" would be encouraged.

In that regard, I would assume they would have at least one trade route bonus and some science

Thoughts:
  • Trade Routes to other civilizations generate science and diplomatic favor (science)
  • Bonus science, culture, and diplomatic favor in trade routes for every amenity they have (monopoly/science/diplo)
  • Trade Routes have increased range and yields. (trade)

Settling cities on coast should be rewarding. We've seen the Cothon here.

The Cothon could be a Harbor replacement. It could also potentially be a City Center replacement (as a replacement for Docks in a sense).

Either way this would really incentivize coastal settling as it would be the only way to acquire this unique. Of course it would have to be sufficiently powerful to be alluring.

• Cities with a Cothon generate free trade route on settling
  • Cities with a Cothon are immune to loyalty pressure
  • Cities with a Cothon generate bonus yields
They can also gain bonuses through trade with major civilizations
  • Gain diplomatic favor from unique resource trade deals. (diplo)
  • Cities with Cothon/Trade Routes generate bonus yields for every unique resource trade with other civilizations (monopoly)
I also like the idea of a UU (Trireme) that allows coastal settling although I imagine this might be weird since sea units cannot enter land :p

An even more extreme limitation would be to completely disallow settling without coast or a lake.

Why do people insist on a canal replacement? Cothons were not canals.

I think a City Center replacement is more likely, if it's not a harbor (which would be ridiculous given that Cothons were harbors, the best of their kind in the classical world)
I agree that harbor is "correct" in a sense. I think City Center might be more interesting though. There are plenty of ways they could justify it within game terms.

I also don't understand Canal. Cothons don't go anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom