Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Archipelago normal

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Archipelago great

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters

Mirc

Not mIRC!!!
I'm not sure if all the versions of Civ3 have the same world options, so I typed here the possible worlds in normal Civ3.

I like Pangaea most, but I am afraid to use it when playing on very hard levels (Emperor, Diety) so I use "Continents" more

You're right. Especially Sid Pangaea is known to be much harder than Archipleago. But it's actually easier on lower levels. Archipelago balances the expansion, so 2 aditional settlers don't matter very much.

Continents normal, because you have some people to kill in the ancient age, and it gives the challenge of reenacting D-Day on another continent. And, the challenge of destroying all the civs on your continent fast enough so that they won't tattle about your rep.

Continents Normal - same as above - get some early wars in and good tech trading. Was a hard choice to pick continents over Archipelago tho since I really LOVE naval action and amphipious landings. Island hopping using helicopter and airdrop is super exciting (maybe just because those are two things I seldom use so I really dig any opportunity to do it).

I like continents small. I can manage country better and there is a lot of play opportunities.

Archipelago fan here.

Controlling an island or a small continent is the best form or self defense being surrounded by water. If you can be very proactive early and establish contact with most of the world civilizations via map making it will give you a tremendous advantage. If you trade technologies with 16 civilizations you will almost ensure that your civilization maintains its standing as one of the most advanced; which is particularly helpful if you have a poor starting position.

Then when aiming for world dominance with an Archipelago map, you can take the world over one island at a time. The AI doesn't seem to fight back very well unless playing in a military alliance, whereby a combined arms approach morphs into a combined military approach presenting more trouble especially making your shipping lanes vulnerable. In a continent world map, the AI can invade you from several fronts easily with an alliance if on contiguous territory which makes it more dangerous.

I like the default settings (70% continents, normal climate, 4B years) because I like to feel as though I'm conquering "another Earth".

Continents normal is the best. A reasonable amount of time used for expansion, then you need to start to conquer your nearby enemies before the other continent(s) find out what you have done. It also means you cant just conquer the world in the AA or MA, normally you have to spend some time in each era.

Continents, but i didn't know what you meant by "great", so i just put normal. i assume it would be like 60% water. (i play C3C)

I have the settings on random at the moment, but when I want the settings to be just so, I go with 70% continents on a standard map size.

Top Bottom