What would your local wonder be?

upload_2019-11-12_14-4-40.jpeg

Kill Devil Hills near Kitty Hawk NC, where the first airplane flew. A possible natural wonder? Would be coastal and likely provide science and/or great engineer points.
A built wonder such as Wright Memorial might somehow buff planes range/strength or plane capacity.

An interesting world wonder: The Lake Washington Floating Bridges. Floating concrete bridges. Can only be built across one or two lake tiles. There are two of them currently, with the newest one adding in the world's only light rail tracks on a floating bridge for the commuter rail here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_Point_Floating_Bridge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_M._Hadley_Memorial_Bridge

Natural Wonder:
Temperate Rain Forests

https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/temperate-rain-forest.htm

Kill Devil Hills near Kitty Hawk NC, where the first airplane flew. A possible natural wonder? Would be coastal and likely provide science and/or great engineer points.
A built wonder such as Wright Memorial might somehow buff planes range/strength or plane capacity.

Totally. I can see why the Wright Brothers chose that site out of anywhere they found. It has those sand dunes for the soft landing, and those sand dune hills. And it was consistently windy, but not too windy. Like you could fly a kite. Then later, Orville Wright piloted the first fatal plane crash, and it was not at Kittyhawk.

Of course, KDH, Kittyhawk, Nags Head, all that are also Seaside Resorts.

Totally. I can see why the Wright Brothers chose that site out of anywhere they found. It has those sand dunes for the soft landing, and those sand dune hills. And it was consistently windy, but not too windy. Like you could fly a kite. Then later, Orville Wright piloted the first fatal plane crash, and it was not at Kittyhawk.

Of course, KDH, Kittyhawk, Nags Head, all that are also Seaside Resorts.
A two tile “outer banks” natural wonder would be fun. I personally think it is a beautiful area, but I am not sure how it compares to the wonders already in the game.

A barrier island feature. You get 1 tile of coast, followed by 1 tile-deep of flat desert, followed by more coast. Possibly a nice Golden Gate spot.

The Fortress
Medieval Era Wonder

• Doubles All Hockey Rink Effects built in Empire
  • Creates or Upgrades Walls in all cities
  • +5 Production
  • +3 Housing
  • +2 Citizen slot
  • +5 Great General points per turn
  • All current land units gain a promotion level.
fortress.jpg

My nearest actual is Big Ben. But if I was to introduce one it would be : The Crystal Palace, Great Exhibition of 1852. Affects: +1 trade route and caravan, +2 gold per suzerain status, +3 merchant point and triggers a Great Exhibition competition where the top prize is diplomatic points.

I suppose the closest wonder for me would be the Erie Canal, and also Niagara Falls.

Considering I live around Houston, I can think of a couple.

1. Rice University (Modern Era: +12 Science, +2 Housing, Boosts Nanotechnology and Smart Materials, +4 Diplo Favor, 25% Production bonus to all Space Race Projects, +4 Great Scientist Points, Must be built next to a Campus with a University on flat land)

2. Menil Collection (Information Era: +12 Culture, 4 GWaA and Artifact Slots, Can hold both Great Works of Art and Artifacts, and when filled is automatically themed, Neighborhoods built adjacent yield +3 culture, +4 Great Artist Points, must be built next to a Theater Square with Art/Archaeological Museum on flat land)

3. Rothko Chapel (Atomic Era: +10 Faith, 2 Great Works of Art Slots; When built, attain all follower beliefs of all religions on the cylinder, regardless of if the religion is present in your civ; +2 Great Works of Art Slots, Must be built next to a Holy Site)

For Natural Wonders, It isn't around the Houston area, but I could say Enchanted Rock could work.

(Can be found in Plains Hills, +3 Faith to surrounding tiles, Units on Enchanted Rock are invisible to all non-adjacent units)

An ancient wonder from near where I grew up would be the Uffington White Horse, for my (not impartial) money the most impressive of the hill figures in England, and I believe the only one to date to the Bronze Age.

I don’t know how well known it is, but it crops up now and again (it had a cameo in Cowboy Bebop and features in Forza Horizon 4). Even Pokémon Sword and Shield have a hill figure, but its anthropomorphic form more resembles a (censored!) Cerne Abbas Giant.

Spoiler Uffington White Horse :

Probably Lower Vítkovice - a national site of industrial heritage located in Ostrava in the Czech Republic. It includes an extensive industrial area Vítkovice ironworks with a unique collection of industrial architecture. A set of three successive parts - coal mine, coke ovens and blast furnace operations. The area is registered in the list of European cultural heritage. (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Vítkovice).
Some parts are 191 years old, and it hasn't been in use for the last 20 years - fortunatelly most of the buildings were not demolished and now it's a museum.

(image taken from: https://www.eprogram.cz/mista/48-dolni-oblast-vitkovice)

And the second option, which is a bit further from the place where I live but still in the same country and still accessible in like 3 hours:
The Prague Castle is a castle complex in Prague, Czech Republic, built in the 9th century. It is the official office of the President of the Czech Republic. The castle was a seat of power for kings of Bohemia, Holy Roman emperors, and presidents of Czechoslovakia. The Bohemian Crown Jewels are kept within a hidden room inside it.
According to the Guinness Book of Records, Prague Castle is the largest ancient castle in the world, occupying an area of almost 70,000 square metres (750,000 square feet), at about 570 metres (1,870 feet) in length and an average of about 130 metres (430 feet) wide. (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Castle)

Last edited:
According to the Guinness Book of Records, Prague Castle is the largest ancient castle in the world

This castle is a beauty. I like creepy castles.

This castle is a beauty. I like creepy castles.

Anyone here from Northwestern Romania so we can get the castle that inspired Bram Stoker's of Dracula's residence (which apparently is still standing, and was up for sale several years ago).

Places I've lived:
Rural Ohio
Colorado Springs
Rural Mississippi
Rural Delaware
Rural New York
Wichita, Kansas

As such, I didn't think I had much to choose from, since the US Air Force Academy is sort of represented by the military academy building. But then I remembered the other military base in Colorado Springs:

I'm thinking a bonus to nuclear attacks and lower damage from incoming attacks, and like Machu Picchu, has to be built on a mountain.

EDIT: next to an encampment with a military academy :lol:

Last edited:
Bulgarian here. A buildable wonder could be:

Tzarevetz (11/12th century fortress) - Culture bombs adjacent tiles when placed. Any units trained in this city get +5 when defending on hill terrain. Can only be built on a hill adjacent to a river.

Rila Monastery - (10th century Orthodox monastery) - Acts kind of like Neuschwanstein in Civ5 (religion instead of culture tho). Can only be built adjacent to two mountains.

As for Natural wonders, I think The Eyes of God cave would look pretty dope on a civ map.

Top Bottom