What's everyone's preferred difficulty and map type?

row2infinity

Chieftain
Just curious.

As (obviously) active fans (since you're on these forums). I'd make a poll, but I'm asking 2 questions in one / lazy #sorry :-*

Mine is Immortal and Fractal.

King because I'd rather increase the difficulty on myself with self-imposed restrictions than give the AI a boost that means certain elements of the game (early game wonders) are off limits. Continents because a 4x game based on the history of mankind that doesn't emphasize the Age of Exploration doesn't' feel complete.

Emperor. Continents. I feel continents is like the default setting from Civ 1 and Emperor allows me to crush the AI and build nearly every wonder/great person and have an amazing empire with epic cities in only 4-5hrs instead of playing for days.

Emperor or king. Pangaea mostly. Tiny or duel. No city states. No religious victory. 2-3 extra AIs above standard setting.

King difficulty. I've been alternating between fractal and continents maps. The other maps don't do much for me aside from true starting location maps such as Europe, Asia, or Earth.

I prefer continents on Immortal/Deity. I'd play on Deity all the time but the 3 settler thing combined with the horrendous spawns squeezes the map too much for my liking.

Mostly Prince, but I will change it up occasionally. Shuffle or continents, but islands are fun too.

I personally like to play on either King or Emperor difficulties. The bonuses the AI gets on higher difficulties are a little ridiculous imo. YnAMP maps are fun for tsl. If I'm playing as Gitarja who is really OP with her faith naval purchases I like island plates, archipelago or fractal. Coastal cities are no match for her... A buddy of mine got me into Legendary start positions recently. It tends to spawn you near a few natural wonders and a nice assortment of lux and strat resources which is pretty fun.

Fractal with random civ about 80% of the time and probably 40/40/20 Emp/Immortal/Deity on difficulty

Emperor, giant continent or fractal maps. I also usually add a couple more city states since some of them will be conquered anyway. It also opens the possibility to free them later on and thus tone down my warmonger penalty.

King, Continents, Large. I don't traditionally enjoy Pangaea but I'm giving it a go as Genghis at the moment; it has produced fruitful results so far...

Chieftain, Inland Sea or Continents.

Top Bottom