What's the most signifigant date in U.S History?

KingBishop

Chieftain
July 4, 1776?
December 7, 1941?
September 11, 2001?

Historically, what was the most signifigant date for this country and why? Should be some fun and iunteresting responses here. I will add mine in a bit.

April 4, 1917

The day the British surrendered at Yorktown something 1783 or maybe the treaty of Paris.

Poll?

July fourth, if you accept that as independance day. As was stated above, I find the date we won independance as opposed to the date we declared independance to be more important.

-Pat

July 4th we declared our indepdence, but, logically speaking we should have lost therefore it is not as important. What is a nation if it cannot win it's own independence war? So it should be whatever the exact date of the official treaty in which Britain recognized America as an independent nation.

-PB

The Treaty of Paris reconqized America streching from the Atlantic to the Mississimpi in the west. It was either 1783 or 1784.

June 21, 1788, the day the Constitution was ratified. On that day, the anarchy that was the Articles of Confederation ended and the current American government began.

Sure, USA had declared and won its independence, but this was the day they actually DID something with the independence.

I agree, Irish Caesar, I change my mind. :)

1492 Whatever day it was. Columbus discovers America. No discovery= no Declearation of independence etc.

Originally posted by Irish Caesar
June 21, 1788, the day the Constitution was ratified. On that day, the anarchy that was the Articles of Confederation ended and the current American government began.

Sure, USA had declared and won its independence, but this was the day they actually DID something with the independence.
Hear, here.

The signing of the Declaration is significant as well. One key date that no one has alluded to is the purchase of the Louisianna Territory from France. It enlarged the nation 2-1, and set course for the opposite shore. Nov 7, 1860, the election of Abraham Lincoln is another candidate for the most significant.

J

Damn, you took my thing! ;)

Agreed. We set up American government and federalism and then invented the nation succesfully according to its ideas.

Unquestionably July 4, 1776. There are many dates after that which could arguably be used as the birth of the modern government, but the modern government ultimately isn’t, or at least shouldn’t be, what America is about. July 4, 1776 marks an important step in the evolution of what is acknowledged across the world as the belief of American freedom.

In 1775 those few British-Americans who dared challenge the rule of the sovereignty were hunted like dogs and treated as little more then treasonous anarchist (which they were) and when Paul Revere rode to Lexington on April 18, 1775 to warn Samuel Adams and John Hancock of their impending arrest at the hands of the redcoats the most loyal of the Sons of Liberty moved from there homes, in the middle of the night, to intercept the redcoats before they could arrest the revolutionaries. At Lexington Green the Redcoats and Sons of Liberty exchanged fire and eight of the 77 Sons of Liberty mortgaged their lives in the name of freedom.

As the redcoats tried to forge their way to concord more then 400 dissidents, armed and angry, intercepted the 120 Redcoats trying to pass the north bridge and pushed them back, by morning the bells of the church had called up more then 5,000 minutemen against the Redcoats, who were retreating to Boston. By the morning of April 19, 1775 the American colonists were officially enemies of the crown, and the war had begun.

But the war lacked something of value, while the people were willing to fight, and die, they did so more against taxes and injustice then in a major effort to make something more lasting of their efforts. The Shot Heard Round the World had opened the ears and minds of people across the globe, especially if a gang of rag-tag dissidents could defeat the most powerful monarch in the world, but the question of ‘what does it mean’ hung in the air. What did these revolutionaries really mean to accomplish with this war, simply another country that ruled the peasants with an iron fist? It wasn’t until July 4, 1776 when all 13 of the colonies declared, with a single voice, that they would not allow injustice. They would not permit a small class of royals to command them; they would not succeed to the power of a corrupt system. They raised up in a single voice and demanded not requested but demanded that they be given life, that they be given liberty and that that have the right and privilege to pursue their life as they, as individuals, saw fit. They proclaimed, as one, that they would no longer tolerate the destructive and selfish government that commanded their daily lives. They demanded that they be given their freedom, or they would destroy anyone and anything that tried to stop them.

The war went on for some time after that, and much time passed before the rest of the world accepted what Yankees had to say, but they were resolved, and victory was no longer a question of if, but when. Government would follow, treaties would follow, and even the eventual surrender of the British Empire would follow, but that belief that would attract the worlds most determined and assertive through the gates at Ellis Island was the most powerful weapon in the arsenal –freedom-, and on July 4, 1776 America offered it to the whole world.

The only other date I can think of that could compete with it
would be April 9, 1865, when the combination of Grant, Lee and Lincoln saw to that the Civil War would not end with mass
reprisals and/or lingering guerilla warfare.

Originally posted by Duantalus
It wasn’t until July 4, 1776 when all 13 of the colonies declared, with a single voice, that they would not allow injustice. They would not permit a small class of royals to command them; they would not succeed to the power of a corrupt system. They raised up in a single voice and demanded not requested but demanded that they be given life, that they be given liberty and that that have the right and privilege to pursue their life as they, as individuals, saw fit. They proclaimed, as one, that they would no longer tolerate the destructive and selfish government that commanded their daily lives. They demanded that they be given their freedom, or they would destroy anyone and anything that tried to stop them.

The war went on for some time after that, and much time passed before the rest of the world accepted what Yankees had to say, but they were resolved, and victory was no longer a question of if, but when. Government would follow, treaties would follow, and even the eventual surrender of the British Empire would follow, but that belief that would attract the worlds most determined and assertive through the gates at Ellis Island was the most powerful weapon in the arsenal –freedom-, and on July 4, 1776 America offered it to the whole world.

....er....except if they were black slaves, or Native American Indians of course.
“We want freedom from oppression....but we also want to oppress others”
Hypocritical? ;)

No war has so many myths, distortions, and outright falsehoods as that of the American War of Independence. Who was it that said “tell a lie often enough, and people will eventually think that it is true”? I would just like to remind people of some of the real truths concerning the causes of this conflict.

Taxation: it has been estimated that the average American colonist of the 18th century paid no more than sixpence a year in taxes, while the average English taxpayer paid some 25 shillings, or 300 pence a year….hardly oppressive!
There were two ways of gathering taxes at this time; indirect taxation levied on exports (which affected the rich and the entrepreneurial middle class businessmen), and direct taxation (which affected everybody). Smuggling was rife in America, making the collection of indirect taxes from exported goods so inefficient that it cost £8,000 in order to collect £2,000 worth of customs duties in American ports! So, in a misguided and heavy-handed fashion, the foolish British government of that time tried to impose direct taxation, such as Stamp Duty, which of course failed as well.

Oppression: the population in the American colonies at this time was two and a half million, of which some half a million were black slaves. The British maintained some 10,000 soldiers in America, partly to protect the colonists from the French, and partly to protect them from Native American Indian attacks.
You see, in 1763 the Indian chief Pontiac, fearing that his ancestral lands would be overrun by white settlers, organised a concerted attack which captured many frontier forts and plundered the settlements along the frontier. As any government which failed to protect it’s citizens would not stay in office for very long, what the British did was to establish the Proclamation Line along the Appalachian Mountains in order to prevent the whites from antagonising the Indians. From the colonists point of view, these 10,000 soldiers were stopping them from stealing the Indians land….and the British government expected the colonists to pay for them! Intolerable!
Interestingly enough, some 200,000 colonists emigrated to Canada after the Americans gained their independence. Why? Did they like being ‘oppressed’?
The truth is that something like a third of the colonists wanted to break with Britain (mostly the rich middle classes), about a third of them wanted to stay British, and the rest didn’t care either way.

So what were the REAL reasons for this conflict?
Why didn’t the colonists in Canada fight for their own independence?
Why did so many of them emigrate rather than be ‘free’?

The answer lies in the character of the people who made up the colonies.
Many of them settled in America in order to escape the tight constrains of European society, to have a bit more free choice in their lives. And the sons and daughters of these settlers, who had seen their parents creating new farms and businesses in what had been a wilderness, had no loyalty to some distant country that they had never visited. So when this distant government, which had let them get on with it for over a century, and had largely been powerless to impose direct control due to the lack of infrastructure in this wild wilderness, suddenly began to tell them to pay their taxes, they quite naturally rebelled.
They hadn’t had to worry about taxes before, as Britain had mostly left them alone, so why should they pay now?
(Of course, once America became independent, their taxes became MUCH higher than what the British had asked them to pay. But at least they had the illusion that they had some control over what the new tax rate would be)

In fact, this rebellious spirit is still part of modern American culture today, what with Survivalist Groups, Waco type religious cults, and the National Rifle Association’s old fashioned fanaticism with guns, when it is quite obvious that stricter gun laws would make their society a much safer place (over 11,000 deaths a year, according to the “Bowling for Columbine” documentary film).
All these groups, plus many others, seem to show a deep dislike of governmental authority, be it the Federal Government, or even the United Nations….which America formed in the first place!

Please don’t think that I am being ‘anti-American’, which some people seem to think means criticising ANYTHING American, especially the myths of their distorted history. Citizens of today’s United States have every right to be proud of many of the things that their ancestors did which made this nation the world superpower that it is today, although it is up to future historians to decide if today’s generation is to be looked back on with pride or embarrassment.
It’s just that not being an American myself, I can see the wood for the trees, or look past the flag if you will.
For all their faults, I for one freely admit that I would sooner live under an American dominated world, imperfect as it is, rather than that of the Nazis or Communists. :)

At my school there is a whole class dedicated to the year of 1963 (I think that's it), the year inwhich Kennedy was shot. Infact there is a whole book on it called "The Way We Were 1963 The Year Kennedy was Shot." That is probably the most significant date in U.S. History. It's a year and not a day like therest of the dates mentioned (thought I would point out the obvious).

A few things I can recall that happened in 1963:
Kennedy's assasination
Vietnam war in full swing
large flu epidemic
Cuban Missle Crisis
Delta launched into space
Closing of Alcatraz
Davey Moore died in a boxing match
Large Civil rights movements (for Blacks)
Many other things.

While I agree that the original technicalities of the American government was little more then a government by white protestant males for white protestant males, the underlying idea is the same. They wanted to be free to make their own country, a country made by the common man who understood common needs. I also agree that this desire ultimately proved to be flawed in the creation of the government, it did encourage the idea for all people, whether they be black, white, blue or green, male or female, tall or short, ugly or not you could alter the fabric of the government. I also accept that this also did not turn out perfectly, but I would like you to offer me even one example that has dome such an amazing job. The days are irrelevant, as are many of the purposes. There was a scream for freedom in the world and the Yankees were the first to step up to the plate and grab that desire.

You do seem to have a certain air of ‘anti-American’ about you though and your attempt to hide behind another flag doesn’t guise it well. I myself originated behind another flag, one I am very disgusted by, and I am more then proud to have earned the right to hide behind the red, white and blue. I’m sure had I been born an American I would be far more likely to either not care or join in the battering of American achievements. Frankly, from what history I learned in my native land, and then what I have learned here in the U.S.A., I would say that the Americans have made most of the best decisions of the past 60 or 70 years, though most other English speakers seem to think that it was the British.

Kryten, I liked your post. Being an American myself I can see the different sides of the conflict.

However never EVER cite the Bowling for Columbine "documentary" as a legitmate source for any statistic.

It's like calling CNN or Fox news "balanced"

Well covok48 & Kentonio, I do try and give my sources, flawed as they may be, which is why I said “….according to the Bowling for Columbine documentary film”, which was one American’s view of his own American society. :)

Originally posted by Duantalus
I also accept that this also did not turn out perfectly, but I would like you to offer me even one example that has dome such an amazing job. The days are irrelevant, as are many of the purposes. There was a scream for freedom in the world and the Yankees were the first to step up to the plate and grab that desire.

Again, this is not strictly true.
In the mid 17th century, England fought a bitter civil war that lasted from 1642 to 1649 in order to determine whether an absolute monarch or an elected parliament would rule the country. Parliament won, and king Charles the first had his head cut off. However, the change to a fully republican style of government was too big a jump and too radical, so in 1660 Charles II was recalled from exile. But the political system had changed forever, with the king as little more than a figurehead, and parliament making all the real decisions from now on.
Of course, the system was not perfect. Parliament was split into two bodies: an unelected aristocratic hereditary House of Lords, with the real power belonging to the elected House of Commons, chosen from the middle classes (the working classes would not get the vote until the late 1800’s, and women had to wait until the early 20th century….nonetheless, it was a step in the right direction).
The Americans adopted and extended this system. They too had two bodies, Congress and Senate, the main differences being that they discarded the figurehead monarch, and both bodies were elective instead of the old fashioned, outdated, and soon to be changed hereditary House of Lords.

But before I get accused of being off topic, I would like to return to the main theme of this thread, and offer a non-Americans view of the most important date in American history, from an outsiders perspective.
I nominate December 7th, 1941.

In the 1920’s, 30’s, and early 40’s, America became very isolationist. Far from being the leading light in world freedom, they were quite prepared to just sit and watch as the Nazis spread their evil regime over Western Europe, Scandinavia, the Mediterranean, and western Russia. It was not they but Britain and France who tried to avoid war by the misguided use of ‘appeasement’, and finally held up the torch of democracy by declaring war in order to protect Poland’s freedom, even though they were totally unprepared. In fact, it has always been Britain’s foreign policy to be the enemy of anyone in Europe who conquered their neighbours, be it Louis XIV, Napoleon, the Kaiser, or Hitler, which is why small nations such as Belgium, the Netherlands and Denmark still exist today instead of being swallowed up larger nations. President Roosevelt (a very wise man, and one of the best presidents that America has ever had) was bending over backwards desperately trying to get America into the war.
All this changed when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour, and Hitler foolishly declared war on America.
This woke up the United States, and made them realise that they had to step into the vacuum that would soon be left once the decaying British Empire fell apart. (Unlike the French in Indochina, the British didn’t try to hold on to their colonies by military force, but could see the writing on the wall, so instead let their dependences have their independence).

Had it not been for December 7th 1941, Europe today would in all probability still be under the iron boot of the Nazis, and the world would be a much darker place. ;)

I think that USA intervention in WW1 is even more important than in WW2. In WW1 Rusia was defeated and Germany could have won in 1918, after all, or get a better peace teatry.

Of course, the question it's whether Rusia and UK would have survived withouth USA in WW2... I believe that not without Lend-Lease, but probably, with USA help even in the levels prior to Pear Harbor, with much more cost of lives and time, maybe Germany would have been defeated by UK and Rusia.

Top Bottom