[MOD] when did the various MODMODs were born?

drono

Chieftain
For the sake of my beloved wiki I would like your help to document when exactly all this stated.
In the page https://fallfromheaven.fandom.com/wiki/ModMods I have created a lot of lists, tables and descriptions, and I would like your help to finish it off. My goal is to offer complete and precise information, presented in such a way that the absolute beginner is not taken aback and has a chance to get the whole picture, and the historical developer can read the details and remember the good old times.

First, this is the ultra-schematic evolution table:
  1. Vanilla style: Fall from Heaven --> Fall from Heaven II --> More Naval AI --> MANI-U
  2. Multiplayer ready: Erebus in the Balance + MNAI --> ExtraModMod
  3. Lots of content but optimized and still updated: MNAI --> MagisterModmod
  4. Lots of new contents: Fall Further --> Fall Further Plus --> Rise From Erebus --> Ashes of Erebus
  5. Magical compartment reworked: Wild Mana --> Master fo Mana --> Master of Mana Xtended
  6. The old abandoned Orbis
The detailed table is like this:
Name Fall from Heaven II
Acronym FFH2
First version
2008/12/16
Last update v0.41o
Development Abandoned
Notes Main MOD

The data I would like you to check are FIRST VERSION, that are sometimes very difficult to obtain, buried under generations of forks and evolution.

In particular:
MANI started in 2011 or before?
EMM stated in 2013?
MagisterModMod in 2010?

Orbis was the first one? Was alredy there in 2007?
Wild Mana was stated in 2009 or before? In 2010 it was alredy at v8.34!!
Original Master of Mana was in 2011?

And the Fall Further line?
Fall Further 2009 ?
Rise from Erebus 2011 ?
Ashes of Erebus 2013 ?

Thank you very much, Ghastguillo

(i'll remark that AoE is still updated too ^^)

Using the Start date of the respective mod threads as an approximation, you get this :

Fall Further : September 2008
Fall Further Plus : May 2009
RifE : June 2009
AoE : April 2013

Orbis : July 2008

Magister : January 2010

Thank you!
And the most important of them all, our beloved MNAI?

(i'll remark that AoE is still updated too ^^)
AeO last update is
14.11.7z
2014/11/14
So I checked it as abandoned. But I have corrected it.

yeah, that's the last archive released. Been working through svn since then, for a number of reasons. Latest actual release is from April
MNAI is march 2010

Last edited:
Looks like you put a lot of work into this, thanks! I think having a wiki page for this is a good approach, as everybody can edit it, so we don't have outdated threads such as this. Maybe we should try to get a post linking the wiki stickied in the modmod or main FfH forum (or both)?

Looks like MNAI was started March 18, 2010. EMM was first released on January 19, 2013. EMM itself is explicitly not developed anymore (Terkhen's statement), but I maintain the continuation EMM-U.

I think your modmod descriptions are mostly good, just maybe AoE is a bit misrepresented. I think it's changes aren't as fundamental as in MoM, so the barrier of entry is not as high. I didn't play it for some time now, but it always seemed to me that the tradeoff is better described "more features" vs. "comparibly bad AI" (which is mentioned elsewhere in the wiki) and maybe somewhat worse stability then e.g. MNAI.
I think the descriptionthe for AoE should include that it has tons of new and changed mechanics, for example new civilizations. Maybe black_imperator could write a sentence or two? MoM is more of a completely different game (I'd personally say BtS is more similar to FfH than FfH is to MoM).

Also, maybe there should be some indication which modmods change the lore (AoE, MoM and Orbis do; MNAI and Magister's don't; in EMM there is an optional new leader).

Note that i did an introductive thread a couple of years ago : https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-to-ffh-read-this-first.613977/ (if any of you thinks there's some change needed, or you want me to put the wiki's link in here, i will gladly do it).

As for AoE itself, it has a number of new mechanics, but the core is very similar to FFH, with new civs and leaders (and more barbarians). In terms of Lore, i'd say it expands the lore rather than change it. Everything from the core lore is still true, we just have new stuff that goes around it. We do have worse AI and Stability than MNAI, but that's the main focus of my current work ^^

Top Bottom