When do you stop playing?

A posted game file would be more informative.

Depending on the difficulty level, I think you're counting chickens. It's only 850 AD and most of the world hasn't been explored. You're also not the most powerful civ around and could get attacked.

In answer to the general question, I usually like to play games right through to the end. If I'm clearly losing, I might end the game early. It's a game, after all, and losing isn't as much fun as winning. But I have to be clearly losing, with no hope of winning, to give up; overcoming a challenge is the most fun of all.

850 AD? No way should you quit, the game isn't even half started. After all the AI could have a lot of room left to EXPAND, might have some resources in there it hasn't learned about/connected (such as oil), could be about to start popping out great people, or enter into a golden age. Not to mention all the unique units that are either just coming into play (your at monarchy) or will come into play soon (such as redcoats). Calling this game "in the bag" is premature.

Wouldn't you want to finish the game anyway, if you're doing well? I don't understand. Why play to win if you're not going to finish it?

Also, that's not the most hepful screenshot ever. Perhaps a shot of the main screen so we can see the map (and the extent of your domination) or the victory conditions screen.

850AD? lol, you havent started the game yet, why quit it

It's probably over, given the GNP info. (185 to 70!) However, you are #3 in Soldiers, which means there is the risk of having an AI declare on you, followed by a dogpile. Better watch your back.

Sisiutil said:
A posted game file would be more informative.

Depending on the difficulty level, I think you're counting chickens. It's only 850 AD and most of the world hasn't been explored. You're also not the most powerful civ around and could get attacked.

It's an Emporer game.

winddbourne said:
850 AD? No way should you quit, the game isn't even half started. After all the AI could have a lot of room left to EXPAND, might have some resources in there it hasn't learned about/connected (such as oil), could be about to start popping out great people, or enter into a golden age. Not to mention all the unique units that are either just coming into play (your at monarchy) or will come into play soon (such as redcoats). Calling this game "in the bag" is premature.

Catherine doesn't seem to be a big power in the game and she shares my religion so we won;t war until I attack her. I'm not scared of musketeers and Monty is a dozen techs behind me.

migthegreek said:
Wouldn't you want to finish the game anyway, if you're doing well? I don't understand. Why play to win if you're not going to finish it?

Also, that's not the most hepful screenshot ever. Perhaps a shot of the main screen so we can see the map (and the extent of your domination) or the victory conditions screen.

You can see what I've explored from the bottom right of the screenshot. It isn't much. But from what I've been able to gather, this continent is probably 45-55% of landmass. I should be able to take it all with maces and then grenadiers (well before any of these AI get rifles.)

Naismith said:
It's probably over, given the GNP info. (185 to 70!) However, you are #3 in Soldiers, which means there is the risk of having an AI declare on you, followed by a dogpile. Better watch your back.

I'm way ahead in production AND GNP. Catherine is not backstabbing me. Alex is toast. Monty is a dozen techs behind. Louis wil probably declare on me before I can wipeout Monty but I'll have a better military than him by then.

Panda said:
When it isn't fun anymore.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying. I'm too far ahead of everyone else so the win will be too easy to continue from here.

Pounder said:
Play until you get a victory and a score. I like to have entries in the hall of fame that become scores to beat.

I like too :( But i play 3 different mods, they are always launching new version of those mods, and playing two or three different games on each mod, i dont remember the last time i actually finished a game! I dont even remember how the hall of fame looks like!

Damn once warlords comes ill be deleting my mod folder.

From the screenshot: dont you explore the map? Arent you curious how the world looks like?:crazyeye:

Pete2006 said:
I'm too far ahead of everyone else so the win will be too easy to continue from here.
Yeah so just go ahead and trounce everyone and get a good score. Surely that'll be fun?

I usually stop playing in such a scenario nowadays, because i've done the domination victory adozen times already and dont consider it much fun after u have the clear advantage. Also less soldiers means nothing, u can beat the AI even when u have halve power and soldier score because it sucks at invading.

So if you have enough experience at domination on emperor level u should probably stop because domination takes so much time. I consider it more fun to obtain an advantage against the emperor AI with its huge bonuses, than to abuse the incompetent AI once u have the advantage.

LordLightning said:
Also less soldiers means nothing, u can beat the AI even when u have halve power and soldier score because it sucks at invading.

True - but the power rating is what the AI's look at when determining whether to go to war with you. So if one AI declares war on you when you have a low power rating, that drastically increases the chance another AI (and another and another) will declare war on you, seeing an opportunity. You may be able to fight off one invasion, but can you fight off four?

I'm just saying that it may be premature to assume you're going to win in this kind of a situation.

Sounds to me like you need to up the difficulty as it sounds like it's a bit too easy for you now.

You could easily go up a notch or two in difficulty and still have the game be challenging yet fun and not so predictable.

Naismith said:
True - but the power rating is what the AI's look at when determining whether to go to war with you..

Actually, I think power ratings are completely irrelevant.

einherjar_LC said:
Sounds to me like you need to up the difficulty as it sounds like it's a bit too easy for you now.

You could easily go up a notch or two in difficulty and still have the game be challenging yet fun and not so predictable.

Actually, it seems like the AI was fighting amongst themselves too much. Monty +Alex+differing religions makes for lots of early war and so that slowed their research rates and I came out on top. (I don't think anyone even has feudalism yet!). I get my butt kicked on this level enough as it is. Immortal isn't fun because it is too hard (for me).

Come on, it's only 840AD, you know nothing of the world. How many Civs do you know in comparison to the the num of Civs in the game. If you don't know all of the civs there is a good chance that someone has more techs than you.
To answer the question "When do you stop playing?", I stop playing when I've improved the MOD I'm working on & i've got to test it. I have never played a full game the most advanced weapon I've ever used is the Musketman. So I have never won a game. Oh wait I won 1 game, the Tutorial. I was losing so I crushed Ghandi with my Protoriate.:lol: :D :eek:

P.S. I think you would like the MOD I'm working on, much more Difficult. It's pure XML right now. IT IS NOT PUBLISHED AS OF YET!

Zebra 9 said:
Come on, it's only 840AD, you know nothing of the world. How many Civs do you know in comparison to the the num of Civs in the game. If you don't know all of the civs there is a good chance that someone has more techs than you.
To answer the question "When do you stop playing?", I stop playing when I've improved the MOD I'm working on & i've got to test it. I have never played a full game the most advanced weapon I've ever used is the Musketman. So I have never won a game. Oh wait I won 1 game, the Tutorial. I was losing so I crushed Ghandi with my Protoriate.:lol: :D :eek:

P.S. I think you would like the MOD I'm working on, much more Difficult. It's pure XML right now. IT IS NOT PUBLISHED AS OF YET!
Mind a teaser?

Pete, power ratings play a huge role in when AI starts a war. At least as far as I understand it.

I'd say, if it's no challenge and no fun, start warring. Put on a restriction. Try to limit your ass kicking a little to make it a challenge. If that doesn't work, quit and up the difficulty.

If theres another continent you never know what fun may lurk across the ocean assuming more than 1 and you have not cheated with world builder. Military size your still third on and thats dependent on a number of variables not just military. Although not too far off leading 2 AI.The AI are not slackers they will probably catch up on technology. Bring on Catherine with some cossacks!!! I would build her up strengthwise for a more fun war. I would of liked to have seen a save rather than a screenshot.

In terms of playing you dont win the game till civ 4 records it on your hall of fame to show your friends. I do know the feeling when playing a game and you reach a point where you know what will happen and how it will finish but all wins have to be recorded for historical records.

The challenge should be how early you can secure the win not whether you win. Winning is only part of the challenge. Personal bests are always there to be beaten. If your that good why dont you try multiplayer games online? I assume this is on patch 1.61?

Anyway by time warlords arrives i think there will be a few more challenges from the game. With some very well defended AI cities esp with protective trait and new civs with special buildings like the celts UB giving units guerrilla promotion. Even the Korean UU will soon give people big headaches and force a few new strategies and a few more horse archers.

I really dont think you have this won yet. You are not that much ahead when you take into consideration the score,, It's ridiculous that you would give up at this point!

If you have all victory conditions on at the level you are playing at then
you are not even close to securing avicory.

Top Bottom