When to move up a difficulty level

dinner9001

Chieftain
How many games of my current difficulty level should I play until I go up a difficulty, specifically from monarch to emperor?

This is the jump that I am currently making. I think that Emperor is significantly harder than Monarch b/c of the happiness cap I believe. However, I try to play random leader on a random map until I can win about 2/3 of my games before I move up. Being random and trying to adapt to any situation is really important imo.

I've just made (or I like to think I have) that jump as well. I don't think the happiness cap changes at all. However, in my first game I majorly tanked my eco and started losing units. The maintenance levels may take some getting used to.

move up when monarch gets too easy to be much fun, or your ego demands you beat a higher level.

Yeah, maintenance really starts to kill on emperor.

I don't think "number of games" is the right question? In order to move up, you should reach a comfort level with your current difficulty level and achieve consistently better success with each victory condition and map. I would try winning at least one of culture, space, and dom/conq as the usually involve significantly different strategies and test all your skills. Furthermore, I think you should start achieving earlier victories - like say pre-1900s(except from maybe space)

With that said though, as you are playing and enjoying your current level, I think it's fine to try out harder games like those in some of the series run on the board for at least the learning experience and advice you get from others. Emperor Cookbook is a good option. I believe one is starting this week.

^ I hope there is one of those emperor cookbook games. I've been waiting to join one with an acceptable skill level. All of Kossins are way too hard for me.

All leaders and maps are not created equal. Many games on emperor can be easier than monarch (or even prince in some cases) depending on the settings. Move up whenever you feel like it.

How many games of my current difficulty level should I play until I go up a difficulty, specifically from monarch to emperor?

i've seen people started the game and won diety in less than 2 weeks as well as people like me playing since it's released and still below emperor. I think it's fine as long as you enjoy the game.

i play prince mostly but i do emperor once in a while for fun of it.
and do win most of my prince/monarch and few of my emperors.

its just when you feel comfortable, there is no time table or chart that says it xD
and just cuz u play a higher lvl doesn't mean thats the only lvl you have to play :)

When your current level gets boring, I would say. I played for months at Noble before I moved to Prince, and did like lymond using random leaders and going for different victory types.

Top Bottom