When will "Beyond the Sword" come out for mac?

The latest scoop from Glenda Adams of Aspyr, as posted at IMG. (see post #18)

I think the sub-text is, "Don't hold your breath" :(

So Glenda said:
"I'd love for us to do Civ: BTS for Mac. I can't say absolutely we'll never do it (thank goodness!) but also can't say 100% we are going to do it. There are non-technical reasons it hasn't come to the Mac yet, and being in Development, those are out of my control, unfortunately. In a perfect world we'd have ported it and released it simultaneous with the PC (which we could have done technically), but for no single person's or company's fault it didn't happen that way."

Can anyone here think of any non-technical reason other than money that is holding this up?

Money is always at the root of any business problem. There is no such thing as an impossible problem, within the laws of Physics, if you are prepared to throw enough money at it. I don't think the laws of physics are under threat from the technology within BtS. However, if the amount of money required exceeds the return they think they can make then they won't do it.

Money is always at the root of any business problem. There is no such thing as an impossible problem, within the laws of Physics, if you are prepared to throw enough money at it. I don't think the laws of physics are under threat from the technology within BtS. However, if the amount of money required exceeds the return they think they can make then they won't do it.

Sounds like a marketing problem - it's a great title, but none of the Mac game companies seem to be very good at tapping the significantly increased user base. Maybe if they all merged...

i would have guessed that they were still trying to convert the fanmade mods into mac friendly apps (not .exe), but it's been far too long. now they're probably all focused on Revolution. If it turns out crappy, i'm pissed that they wasted their time over macs

Forget about the expansions, we want Civ4 Complete, as seen on Windows... oh, and it's cheaper than Vanilla Mac.

Oh, and as it will be 3x the PC price, it would be nice to get it in the Special Edition Bible cover.

a lot of game industries just put the expansion in with the vanillas in a lot of games...like RoN, so that may be what they are looking to do (hopefully)

a lot of game industries just put the expansion in with the vanillas in a lot of games...like RoN, so that may be what they are looking to do (hopefully)

Unfortunately, that's not the case w/ BtS. Glenda, from Aspyr posted at IMG that it was non-technical reasons for the indefinite hold on the mac BtS.

I got tired of waiting to pay more for an inferior product. I bought Civ Complete, and have been enjoying BtS running on Parallels for a few weeks.

It's rock solid, fast (it doesn't slow down in the end-games), and completely enjoyable. Buying Aspyr products at this point seems to be a fool's errand.

@5150: I too run Civ4 Complete in Parallels, though I don't play full games - I only use it for my GOTM support activities round here. Have you found a way in Parallels to see all the graphics?

On my system, leaderheads are only partially drawn - the 'Cheshire Cat' syndrome. There are also some situations where I see a brief map display without the fog of war. It's as if the translation process for DirectX -> OGL is not handling all the drawing layers all of the time. Maybe its down to my 7300GT hardware?

Bootcamp....

I get no graphics bugs, it looks great. In Macintosh my Card was below specs. (contrasting the lie on the box...)

Never! I refuse to reboot OUT of OS X INTO Windows, just to run a game!

On my system, leaderheads are only partially drawn - the 'Cheshire Cat' syndrome. There are also some situations where I see a brief map display without the fog of war. It's as if the translation process for DirectX -> OGL is not handling all the drawing layers all of the time. Maybe its down to my 7300GT hardware?

I have the same issue. It's minor enough to me that I didn't even think about it when writing my last post. Compared to all of the graphics bugs on the Mac version, it's nothing.

It seems to only effect the leaders that originally shipped with Civ 4. Those that came with the expansion packs (BtS for sure, and I think Warlords) appear just fine.

That's the last time I buy from Aspyr. It's just plain stupid to continue buying mac games. Awful ports, awful patches, not getting Beyond the Sword. I'm just going to buy Vista. There's no way a sane person would continue get any games on the mac.

That's the last time I buy from Aspyr. It's just plain stupid to continue buying mac games. Awful ports, awful patches, not getting Beyond the Sword. I'm just going to buy Vista. There's no way a sane person would continue get any games on the mac.

If you want to run games, you might be better off with XP.

meh, in Canada they're both practically the same price. Better off with Vista, you get Direct X 10

As much as I want all my games to be able to run in OS X, I'm tired of waiting for Aspyr. I still hope they port it soon, but I'm buying a copy for Windows.

Never! I refuse to reboot OUT of OS X INTO Windows, just to run a game!

Not only that ... what about those guys using G5 Macintoshs. They cannot use Bootcamp at all. I am convinced there are still a lot of G5 users out there. What about them? Won't they play BtS, I am sure they want.

Yeah that really sucks. It really makes me want to switch to Linux even. I'm tired of all this compatibility and planned obsolesce crap laid down by those corporations. I really have given up on Aspyr though.

Top Bottom