1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are ciV competitors?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Ermak-, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I concur. I played that and immensely enjoyed myself.

I hope they do some more expansions or a sequel for the game. :)

2. Grendel

Grendel Sacker of Peaceful Cities

Thanks for all the suggestions! :thumbsup:

I bought Galactic Civilizations II and Europa Universalis III based on the discussion here. I've been playing GalCivII the past few days, and it's a blast. Gentle learning curve for Civ veterans (maybe too gentle; I crushed my first two games on "beginner" and "normal"), great immersion, lots of creativity, and the race-specific tech trees seem like they add a lot of replayability.

-Grendel

3. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

In EU3, I'd recommend a relatively safe country like Portugal. If you keep relations high with Castille (or ally with them), you can just play the trading game and later do some colonization without having to be concerned about getting stomped in a war.

4. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

I started EU3 with England, and have yet to branch out from there. They're a bit tougher. You can do some interesting stuff (IE: form Great Britain by smashing Scotland and Ireland), but some of their other tasks can be tougher (IE: taking over France -- and keeping it), and I've yet to really figure out colonization. The Portuguese and Spanish are FANTASTICALLY positioned for colonization, thanks to north african and west Atlantic provincial cores for longer range colonization.

5. blind biker

blind biker King

IMHO, in EU3, colonization is much easier and simpler than warring.

6. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

Can be. But you can get into wars over colonies. Example: you want to grab the eastern seaboard of the U.S. as England, you need to be ready to duke it out with Portugal and Spain.

7. Clement

Clement Layman

I bought Galactic Civilizations 2 too :) i'm amazed by how fun the diplomacy is, it actually makes sense.

8. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

It gets really fun when you toggle the AI. algorythm box on set up. :crazyeye:

9. ShuShu62

ShuShu62 Warlord

Okay, I read through this whole thread and nobody mentioned it so I will, even though it will surely resurrect a dead fight. EUIII and the other EU kin ARE TBS 4x games. The difference is that the turns are variable length and you the gamer defines what constitutes a turn.

Its hard to get through a 400 year game playing real time... :)

10. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Prince

One REALLY great thing about GalCiv II is the ship builder. You could spend a life time just building ships :lol:

11. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

I'd basically agree. Before I ever bought any PI games, I was putoff by the "real time" until I asked some guys and they explained that the Pause button basically allowed you to run it just like turn-based. Since you have to click to end/begin a turn in a true TBS, clicking to Pause/Un-pause is effectively the same thing.

Once I started playing them, I realized, it is for all intents and purposes no different than a true technical TBS like Civ.

12. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Yes, but it's a big investment, and sometimes it's not really worth it since your colonies are likely to have low base tax and remain relatively small, while they still add up to your stability and research costs.

Colonization is a bit better represented in the Divine Wind expansion due to trade winds.

13. snaktime

snaktime Chieftain

Dominions 3 is an awesome, deep TBS game. Bad graphics but the gameplay is great. Wonderful online multiplayer community for really great games, but the AI is really pretty solid and will be fun to play against for a good while.

The fact that the low-budget Dominions 3 has decent AI despite immense gameplay complexity is one of the reasons I have no sympathy for the "1UPT was hard" excuses for Civ V's ridiculously laughable AI.

14. maccool

maccool Chieftain

15. masonryan

masonryan Chieftain

I dont know about it compeating with civ 5 but I have been playing a ton of starcraft2 lately.

16. Thormodr

Of course. I must admit it brightened my day as well.

Quality game. :D

17. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

I am re downloading Dragon Age Origins. I downloaded it yesterday but had problems re-installing the DLC so I tried to uninstall, but bye bye yesterday's download. I hate DRM software. Auto update software blows. The DLC only works on Version 1.0 and it autoupdates to 1.3. Just give me a disk, provide downloads for patches, provide instructions, and I will be fine. As it is they give you steaming piles and call it automated for your protection and it doesn't work!!

Anyway Dragon Age will be fun again for a while. The new Dragon Age I am going to wait on though. Idon't trust game companies. So far their trailers are all hype and movies. POS, can't trust it. I am going to apply my new policy of waiting on new games.

Dragon Age isn't a civ replacement, but it's fun enough.

18. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

Wrong thread, deleted.

19. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery) is more of a city-builder type game. Still, it is a lot of fun.:D

20. Thormodr

Pride of Nations by AGEOD is looking very promising. It will be coming out June 7th and will be a real bargain at only $20.

They are a small gaming company from France who have specialized in making excellent wargames. Truly some of the good guys in the industry.

The company was recently bought by Paradox Interactive and I believe is now called Paradox France.

Anyway, the game looks very in depth with a lot of historical detail. The military side of it will be top notch but the economic, diplomatic and colonial aspects of the game also look very strong. If you like deep, complex, fairly realistic games which will also teach you something about why history happened the way it did then this game is for you.

The game takes place between 1850-1920 and although the time period appears short, it is turn based and each turn is 2 weeks so it adds up to 1680 turns in total. There are also many shorter scenarios to play like the Sepoy rebellion in India or the Russian-Japanese War in 1904-1905.

Here is the forum page on Paradox Interactive:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?558-Pride-of-Nations

Here is the list of developer diaries and Daily Updates (they are even updating on the weekend. ;)):

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?536647-Repository-for-Developer-Diaries-and-Daily-Updates