Where are ciV competitors?

Just wanted to pop by and say thanks for all the advice in this thread. :) FWIW, I ended up buying EU3: Chronicles today as a result and all I can say is OMG...so many decisions to make, so much to do and so much to learn. Thanks everyone! :goodjob:

If you're willing to consider (much) older games, I find that Knights of Honor holds up well. It's basically a 'conquer Europe during the Middle Ages' game, but a fairly well-made one. It also is in real-time as opposed to the turn-based Medieval: Total Wars, which puts pressure on making quick decisions.

I'm waiting for Heroes of Might and Magic 6 myself, to be released somewhere soon.

I also immensely enjoyed Company of Heroes Online beta. It's RTS but the most realistic and fun ww2 game I know.

I'm waiting for Heroes of Might and Magic 6 myself, to be released somewhere soon.

I also immensely enjoyed Company of Heroes Online beta. It's RTS but the most realistic and fun ww2 game I know.

HOMM6 looks like it has great graphics. Very impressive. Hopefully the game play is as solid. Thanks for the heads up. :)

HOMM6 looks like it has great graphics. Very impressive. Hopefully the game play is as solid. Thanks for the heads up. :)

They delayed it because it wasn't perfect yet. So it seems they want to make sure it's good.

They will also introduce a new feature. Forts that will automaticly capture all mines in a certain region, but you can't build any dwellings there.

Also most resources are gone and it's just gold, wood and diamond now I think.

Not sure how those things will be implemented and if it will work. Am very curious. Hope they delay it untill it's perfect, unlike civ V.

The only other turn-based strategy game I could get into for extended periods of time was Master of Orion II. If you can get past the 1996 graphics, its gameplay & replayability are amazing.

Best thing about it - there's a diplo victory and if you win it, you have the option of telling the world you don't want peace. The rest of the galaxy merges into 1 civ and declares permanent war on you...good times.

How is Victoria and Victoria 2?, been seeing them on Steam and they look intriguing, anyone played them?

I'm not going to read through this entire thread.

In case this hasn't already been said, I thought I would help you guys out a little.

The Heroes of Might and Magic series is an amazing TBS. I played II waaaay back, a classic no doubt. They are at at least V now, definitely check it out, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

edit: I just looked above and saw people talking about HMM6..... Guess this will just be a vouch then.......

How is Victoria and Victoria 2?, been seeing them on Steam and they look intriguing, anyone played them?

I have played both a lot. It's a different sort of game but I have had a lot of fun with them over the years.

Basically, the idea is to lead a country through 1836-1936, industrializing your country and instituting political and social reforms along the way. (Optional of course but your people will start to get pretty pissed off after awhile)

Your goals are whatever you set them to be but there is a scoring system with the top 8 countries being the Great Powers (gaining special benefits) and the next 8 being the Secondary Powers.

I think overall, the game simulates the era fairly well and I like the music and atmosphere. I think the game will really shine if they make an expansion down the road.

Anyway, I think you can pick it up for a good price now or wait for a sale.

Here is more information on the game. There is also a demo. I believe it lets you play the USA for 15 years but it might give you some idea about the game.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?459403-Important-pages-for-V2-fans-including-reviews-dev-diaries-wiki-and-the-demo!

Also, if Victorian era games are your thing, AGEOD is coming out with one on June 7th called Pride of Nations. It'll be published by Paradox Interactive and it looks deep. We're talking years to complete a multiplayer game from start to finish. Seventy years in game time at 2 weeks a turn = 1680 turns. Not for everyone I guess but it looks like it will be pretty historical and realistic. I'm excited anyway. :p

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/pride-of-nations

If it's Thormodr aproved, then I'm trying that. Think I'll start with Victoria 1 first. Thanks

Vouch on the Thormodr Stamp of Approval. I haven't been disappointed by a paradox game yet. I must say that the AGEOD looks extremely promising, and my interest is definitely piqued.

Vicky 1 is a micromanagement hell-hole, don't go there!

2 is good though

Erm... too late. Anyways, I wanted a game I could use on my work computer, and Victoria 1 has zero requirements. I will in time purchase Victoria 2 though.

Erm... too late. Anyways, I wanted a game I could use on my work computer, and Victoria 1 has zero requirements. I will in time purchase Victoria 1 though.

I hope that you didn't pay very much for it then. Manually telling every pop where to go and what job to have was too much for me. My advice, learn how to split pops

Top Bottom