Where are ciV competitors?

I am enjoying Victoria II currently. Did not work out everything yet, but have fun.

It is different from civ series, philosophically different. It is more like historically based simulation. Countries not balanced, like in RL. You choice your challenge. Early on try to play one of Great powers, later choose more difficult country.

Just remember, GB is a bigiest baddest boy around. :)

Oh, I adore Gal Civ 2. It's space-based, of course, but it's got the same sort of civ 'one more turn' feeling. Impulse is also a heck of a lot less intrusive than steam; you don't even have to launch it to run the game, just to install.

you know even though these games are completely different, the superpower games are good. also i was turned on to a game called commander in chief: geo-political simulator. havent played to muchof it, but its been pretty fun.

If you're into oldies, you cannot go past Imperialism II (skip Imp 1). For turn based strategy in the grand ages of colonisation and imperialism, you CANNOT go past this game! It's the top of the pile (and has been for many years)!

EU:Rome + Expansion
Crusader Kings (I, II is in development)
Europa Universalis (II or III + four expansions)
Victoria (I + expansion, II is a bit buggy at the moment, but still enjoyable)
Hearts of Iron (II or III plus expansions)

Of course, there's always Civ4 BtS.

It doesn't have much replayability after you complete the campaign maps but Tropico 3 is a very amusing and witty semi-tbs game and there's a package deal on Steam right now that's very cheap.

You play a Caribbean dictator in the 50s and have to build up the economy of a small island while staving off rebels and the superpowers and building up your Swiss bank account. Great graphics and atmosphere & good gameplay--very fond of it, and it does what it sets out to do (be a highly amusing distraction) very well.

True, but I know that they were trying to get it but Atari wouldnt release it. I should have written "This is the best that they came up with after they gave up trying to aquire the licence to MoM?

Whatever the case, how this game fell so far from the mark is beyond me... Biggest dissapointment in 2010. Just a bad game.

Yeah, first I hoped that they would acquire the licence to MoM and got a bit disappointed when they didn't. But with Elemental in it's current state I am glad Stardock never got it.

And I totally agree about Elemental being a mess, I can't understand how they failed so miserably. Though 1.1 Patch makes the game a lot better. They still have miles to go before the game will be in a reasonable playable state.

I tried Settlers 7 demo as something similar to Civ but it really wasn't. That is all city building on a micro level. So you are placing things down like a quarry and determining how many quarries to put down and should you feed them good rations or regular. The demo is entertaining, but not something I am interested in owning.

Elemental is slowly getting better and I am very confident that within a year Elemental will be a far superior game to Failure 5.

Kael will whip that game into shape. His organizational skills and creativity are something that Failure 5 badly needs. They really dropped the ball in not hiring Kael.

Firaxis is a rudderless ship at the moment.

Eu3 Divine Wind is excellent. It's nice to see how the EU series keeps getting better and better.

Torchlight is very fun too I must admit. Has the multiplayer version been released yet? For that matter, has Failure 5 released a multiplayer version yet?

Anyway, Firaxis' arrogance and incompetence hopefully will lead to a worthy successor to the Civ series.

Tried HoI3 and Arsenals of Democracy (Both are either too challangeing or too easy to be fun, but if I had to choose one I would go for Arsenals)
Empire Total War is a great game but it does not run stable on my system. (Lot's of ctds and crashed save files)
Tropico 3 is okay but more a kind of SimCity game than a civlike game (and it's a way too easy)
I somehow never got into GalCiv even though I like 4x games.
X3-TerranConflict was recommended to me many times but somehow I suck completely at this game. :(
A good RTS game was world in conflict. Fast battles with many possible tactics.

EU:Rome + Expansion
Crusader Kings (I, II is in development)
Europa Universalis (II or III + four expansions)
Victoria (I + expansion, II is a bit buggy at the moment, but still enjoyable)
Hearts of Iron (II or III plus expansions)

I don't consider the Paradox titles to be competitors to the Civ series. That isn't meant as a criticism of the games at all (I have and enjoy Victoria I and II). I just don't think they are the same genre. The Paradox titles have different scope - they don't try to be Civ, and Civ doesn't (or shouldn't) try to be them.

The only other games apart from Civ which I play (and really enjoy) are EU:Rome (Vae Victis) and Victoria 2. Unfortunately, neither are TBS. Rome is particularly good for those interested in the the ancient mediterranean.

I don't consider the Paradox titles to be competitors to the Civ series. That isn't meant as a criticism of the games at all (I have and enjoy Victoria I and II). I just don't think they are the same genre. The Paradox titles have different scope - they don't try to be Civ, and Civ doesn't (or shouldn't) try to be them.

Perhaps you're right. Still, Paradox and Civ are the same genre, even if they look and are played very differently. Thing is, there are very few games out there that are really similar to Civ.

Oh, and I got a good laugh out of when the Victoria II patch was released with Babylon "included as a free DLC".

I tried Settlers 7 demo as something similar to Civ but it really wasn't. That is all city building on a micro level. So you are placing things down like a quarry and determining how many quarries to put down and should you feed them good rations or regular. The demo is entertaining, but not something I am interested in owning.

The first 2 Settlers games were great, and extremely relaxing. If you set a custom game with no enemies you can just watch a town and economy grow :)

Why not Europa Universalis III? Or Europa Universalis Rome? Lots of complex micromanagement if you're disheartened at how watered down and childlike Civ5 has become!

Tried HoI3 and Arsenals of Democracy (Both are either too challangeing or too easy to be fun, but if I had to choose one I would go for Arsenals)
Empire Total War is a great game but it does not run stable on my system. (Lot's of ctds and crashed save files)
Tropico 3 is okay but more a kind of SimCity game than a civlike game (and it's a way too easy)
I somehow never got into GalCiv even though I like 4x games.
A good RTS game was world in conflict. Fast battles with many possible tactics.

X3-TerranConflict was recommended to me many times but somehow I suck completely at this game. :( <<<<< OMG I love X3, its just a bit tedious at times. Drive your ship here get goods drive back. Look out for Pirates or whatever. Having a great ship makes all the difference in X3!!

Not really in the same genre, because most of their games are more "true wargames" but everyone not familiar might want to give Matrix Games site a look.

For a glimpse of how the underlying hex-based system is well-implemented, check out "The Operational Art of War III (TOAWIII). Extremely complex, headache causing opertional-level wargame simulator. Includes about 200 scenarios in which the AI is completely scripted (e.g., Operation Barbarossa; Normandy invasion; etc., etc.) ranging from Napoleonic era to modern (e.g., Arab-Israeli wars). No culture, no techs, no society development, just pure hex-based war game with (drum-roll for this astounding concept . . .) STACKING _LIMITS_ that do not resort to 1UPT! (e.g., 3 brigades can occupy a hex at no penalty, but put a fourth on there and they start to suffer reduced performance, etc.). Certainly not a "competitor" to the Civ series either in genre or in market-exposure, but shows how a well-designed hex-based combat simulation engine works. My guess is those involved in development of Civ5 are probably too stupid to even play and win any of the TOAWIII scenarios on easiest difficulty, muchless understand the underlying dynamics and learn from it.

For a glimpse of very well done international relations integrated in a balanced (and admittedly simplified way) into a game involving international relations: Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition. Best diplomacy engine in the business as far as I know. Again, I suspect the brains behind CoGEE have more capacity in their pinky fingers . . .

For a look at just pure stunning detail, historicity, immersion and challenge at the level of true strategic management: War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition. Again, not really a Civ "competitor," no culture, no city building, no exploration, no techs, in effect, the civilian sector just runs on its own and follows (more-or-less historical patterns). You control the military, down to the level of detail of all squadrons, all battalions, all SHIPS (including auxiliary ships, subs, etc., etc.) individual planes, pilots, weapon-mounts, etc., etc. Not that Civ would be "better" if it strived to be like WiTPAE, but a really gifted Civ development team really could learn some things about how to achieve a sense of realism and immersion from this particular Matrix title.

Distant Worlds: not really my thing, but the 4X space guys seem to love it. Seems to have been a pretty solid commercial success too.

Hired Guns Jagged Edge: sadly, one of those games by a Russian developer that is amazing, and has tremendous potential for expansions, mods, and spinoffs, but then the developer just evaporated. Basically a turn-based tactical squad-level combat game in which you portray a mercernary operating in a fanciful African country "Diamond Coast." I realize that real-time tactical players tend to balk at the turn-based aspect of this one, but honestly I think there is no other way for a game to explore the subtleties of squad-level tactics in any other way. One of my favorite games of all time, and I really wish more like it woudl be made.

Forge of Freedom: similar (same?) engine as CoGEE but instead of Napoleonic Europe covers Am Civ War.

Another vote here for Imperialism I or II. I love them both.

One thing they offer that other TBS miss is the random map to be explored, especially in II. I love a lot of the other TBS's mentioned in this thread, but if I want to discover the world starting from a random map then it's Imp II.

As mentioned above, Matrix Games (http://www.matrixgames.com/) has lots of military oriented TBS of varying difficulty. Some are definitely graph based, but some of the simpler ones are also good. But NOT empire builders.

Top Bottom