1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are you from?

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by Lord Chambers, Sep 7, 2008.

?

Where are you primarily from?

1. North America

65 vote(s)
    39.9%
  2. South America

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Europe

79 vote(s)
    48.5%
  4. Africa

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Asia

5 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Australia

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. Lord Chambers

Lord Chambers Emperor

This post made me curious. How many Colonization fans are from non-American countries? For me, Colonization was always very relevant and helped me understand the history I was learning in schools as an American. For people from other places I wonder exactly how grabbing the setting could be. I would be surprised to find that more than 25% of this forum's fans were primarily from non-American countries.

2. Radbout

Radbout Chieftain

Well, I am from Europe. Yes, the game is about America, but you play as a European power. My native town (Amsterdam) is in the original game.

When I was young (I obtained the gfame when I was 11, and it contributed to my knowledge of English as well!), I found it fascinating to simulate colonizing history. For instance, as the English I would try to capture New Amsterdam asnd change it to New York. Or as the SPanish I would wipe out the Incans and Aztecs ASAP.

I especially loved how realistic (and political incorrect) the Indians were in the game. Selling trade goods (pearls and mirrors according to the civilopedia!!) for six times the value :):)

3. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

I'm one of them there Murkins, if ya can't tell from th' statue...

4. bhoffarth

bhoffarth Chieftain

This should be an interesting poll. I am surprised that no one from Australia has voted yet. I would think that at least 5 to 10 percent of the people who visit this site are from there.

Yes, I can truly understand why people from Europe would play this game. The colonization of North and South America profoundly changed Europe.

5. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

As a Dutchie I find this game both fun and interesting. :)

Holland was an economic superpower in the colonization days. Since the colonists were from Holland and the countries surrounding it - France was next to Holland, as was England - I think the game is as relevant to us Europeans as it is to Americans.

6. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Ha. I'm the only South American so far. :p

7. The Snug

The Snug The Civ Heretic

But are you of European descent? :p

8. Rexflex

Rexflex Prince

Voted now.

That could be a hard call. 5-10% as Australians on this server would be very disproportionate on the basis of the fairly small overall Australian population.

There's just 21 Million of us Ausies and over 300 Million in the U.S. alone in real world figures. If the rest of the world was taken out of the equation, then we have real world population figure of 6% and the Australian vs U.S. distribution of 5-10% in this forum would make more sense. Some argument could be made that Australia's game playing proportion is higher than some others, but you can only take that so far.

9. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

I'm European, and it already looks like we are the majority.

10. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Italian/German with a touch of Spanish. :p

I was born in Argentina and have lived here ever since, though.

11. LDG

LDG Chieftain

I'm sure glad you said "primarily" in the question... :)

12. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

I'm from Europe but i don't have a problem with the american background of the game. Just as with Civ i'm much more interested in actual gameplay than historical relevance.

13. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

California.
    USA.
    North America.

14. phoenix_sprite

phoenix_sprite King

Amérique du Nord
    French descendant, first ancestor to arrive here was in the mid XVIIth century. I'm mixed between French and Irish.

15. thelibra

thelibra Future World Dictator

Wow... I'm surprised we have more fer'ners interested in the game than Americans...

Well... no... no I'm not all that surprised. There's a 40 year old woman who sits next to me in my History class who DIDN'T KNOW WHO HITLER WAS!!!

Sometimes the ignorance of my fellow Americans makes me want to cry.

16. Berba

Berba Warlord

I' m from Europe - Sweden - Nyköping.....
    I'll go nuts on the coming weeks, untill.... Colonization has been released... :p

17. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Welcome to the Forums Berba. :beer:

18. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

I met a guy who didn't know that electricity comes from electrons. He started going on about how much better the world would be if we could harness them. It occurred to me later that he probably meant positrons, but the conversation didn't last that long after I laughed at him and told him what electricity was made of.

I've heard of techs having fun with people and telling them they need to mount their wires at an angle, so the electrons can flow downhill more easily.

The computer coffee cup holder story is almost certainly true, but it's so widely known now that you can't expect to get a genuine report of it any more. Same for the guy whose computer wouldn't work when the lights all went out.

Then there are those people who plug power strips into themselves, and don't understand why the other stuff they plug in doesn't work. I've met such people, so I know that one's true.

I got one on the tip of my cerebrum that someone I know did this year or last, but can't get it to come out. Maybe I'll remember later.

19. Berba

Berba Warlord

Thank you Supr49er!!
    Ouite awsome nice forums!!!

20. Tullaris

Tullaris Chieftain

Europeans have just as much reason to play this game as Americans.