Which Civ's First Look video will be released in the week of Aug 22-26

Which Civ's First Look video will be released during the week of Aug 22-26?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, if any Civ were to be revealed by surprise, Persia would be fairly likely; I'm fairly sure they are the most significant Civ not in the game.

As much as I love Persia (I am Persophile), I'd like to remind you of a little obscure civ of

;)

As for the thread itself, I am pretty confident it won't be Rome because I think Firaxis keeps seeing those threads and trollling us :p or rather: wanting to surprise us.

After all there are no patterns and we suddenly got Scythia earlier, before Rome, Greece, India and other 'obvious' civs.

I want Rome but I wonder if we will get Greece so that Firaxis can officially confirm that Greece gets 2 leaders. After all, the cat is out of the bag now so they might as well show it in a FL video.

As much as I love Persia (I am Persophile), I'd like to remind you of a little obscure civ of

;)

No, Perisa was more important in my opinion- whilst the Mongol empire did not last long, the Persians, even if there has been many low points in their history, have been a major power on and off from Cyaraxes to Nader Shah. I think they have overall had a significantly greater impact on history. Anyway, if we are talking about size, Persia apparently ruled about 45% of the world's population at its peak, versus the Mongols ruling about 26%.

I don't think firaxis pays attention to these threads, how else to explain their exclusion of our Holy Righteousness King Tamar.

No, Perisa was more important in my opinion- whilst the Mongol empire did not last long, the Persians, even if there has been many low points in their history, have been a major power on and off from Cyaraxes to Nader Shah. I think they have overall had a significantly greater impact on history. Anyway, if we are talking about size, Persia apparently ruled about 45% of the world's population at its peak, versus the Mongols ruling about 26%.
Not sure about your assessment on the impact of history. The impact of the Mongols is immense. Think, for instance about the spread of knowledge, religions, trade, etc., the upheaval of nations, etc.
I mean the Persians were definitely important to world history, but more important than the Mongols?... I don't know.

Of course these things are really hard to quantify.

No, they are impossible to quantify. And why would you even try reaching a conclusion? It's good to think about who is important because of what, but that's it.

I'd say impact on the world history for Persia and Mongols was similar. Persia had longer history and bigger cultural/intellectual impact on the world, but it never dominated the world to the extent of Mongols and never had THAT succesfull military (I consider Mongols to be the best military empire in the history, regarding relative level of technology in their times, and their initial position - having no advanced tech, few numbers and nothing to begin with, their success is completely incredible).

Regarding those pop percentages, I know them and I wouldn't care about them, as I think they are unreliable estimates. With all my love for Achemenid empire, I don't believe they had >40% of global population because for the entire human history India and China combined had around 50-60% of global population, so that would mean almost entire pop of the world was in Persian empire, Indian subcontinent and area of China. That's improbable, what about all other parts of Eurasia, Africa and Americas.

In the end it doesn't matter much because I'd put both Persia and Mongolia among top 10 most important civilisations of history, I just don't think Mongolia is much less significant. Its impact on the world was incredible, from Japan to Middle East and Central Europe, regarding military, politics, trade, knowledge etc.

I hope Mongolia and Persia will join civ6 roster very soon, they both are top priority for me.

Not sure about your assessment on the impact of history. The impact of the Mongols is immense. Think, for instance about the spread of knowledge, religions, trade, etc., the upheaval of nations, etc.
I mean the Persians were definitely important to world history, but more important than the Mongols?... I don't know.

...diseases... :p

No, they are impossible to quantify. And why would you even try reaching a conclusion? It's good to think about who is important because of what, but that's it.
Yeah, you're right :) I got caught up in the heat of the moment :p
---------------------------------
A few more minutes!

Really liking the look of Spain! Regarding Phillip, they seem to have decided on making sure to accentuate the infamous Hapsburg jaw as the charicature feature (poor Charles II!).

I'd say impact on the world history for Persia and Mongols was similar. Persia had longer history and bigger cultural/intellectual impact on the world, but it never dominated the world to the extent of Mongols and never had THAT succesfull military (I consider Mongols to be the best military empire in the history, regarding relative level of technology in their times, and their initial position - having no advanced tech, few numbers and nothing to begin with, their success is completely incredible).

Regarding those pop percentages, I know them and I wouldn't care about them, as I think they are unreliable estimates. With all my love for Achaemenid empire, I don't believe they had >40% of global population because for the entire human history India and China combined had around 50-60% of global population, so that would mean almost entire pop of the world was in Persian empire, Indian subcontinent and area of China. That's improbable, what about all other parts of Eurasia, Africa and Americas.

In the end it doesn't matter much because I'd put both Persia and Mongolia among top 10 most important civilisations of history, I just don't think Mongolia is much less significant. Its impact on the world was incredible, from Japan to Middle East and Central Europe, regarding military, politics, trade, knowledge etc.

I hope Mongolia and Persia will join civ6 roster very soon, they both are top priority for me.

How was the Mongol empire more dominant than the Achaemenid empire? Let's say that 45% statistic is incorrect, and the Achaemenid empire ruled a lot less than that, even then they could still easily have ruled as large a percentage of the world population as the Mongols did. Yes, the Mongols had a much greater land-mass, but a lot of the Mongol empire was fairly uninhabitable. Even today Mongolia, Tibet, Xinjiang, and Central Asia (a large chunk of the Genghis' empire) is very sparsely inhabited.

And, yes, the Persians could not successfully conquer Greece, but Mongols could not take much territory from Indians. Also, the Mongol empire was split at its greatest; Genghis and his sons never ruled an empire that was as large as that map you posted with the empire split into four. Mongols ruling 26% of the world population will have been when the empire was already dissunified. Presumably no single Mongol leader ruled more than 20% of the world population.

Yes, Genghis and other Mongol rulers were the most powerful men of their time, but I would have said the same was true of the rulers of the Achaemenid empire at its greatest; contemporary China entered the warring states period, and India consisted of a number of Mahajanapadas.

Of course. Nobody expects the Spanish Civilization!

Top Bottom