1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Enterprise to Use?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by deanej, Feb 16, 2009.

?

Which Enterprise should be used?

1. Keep the original Enterprise from TOS

28 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Use the Enterprise from the next Star Trek movie

30 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. Dave_Oz

Dave_Oz Chieftain

I hope your lying and that isnt a massive spoiler you've just thrown out there of the films plot.

2. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Chieftain

I do not lie and when in my opinion it is clear that after that what happens in the film
    TNG,DS9 and VOY couldn't happen,If the Film plays in the old univers not i a new. For example in the first episod of TNG Q nearly decids
    to sentence the Humans becaus they are to agressiv. What would happen if the human are now more agressiv/build more military ships( that what is said in the Plot)?

The second thing is
    :bump:Attenion this is a Spoiler about the new Star Trek Film
    Spoiler :

What happens when Vulcan is destroyed in the movie, like it is to see in the Trailer?
    And just 10.000 Vulcans survive?
    What is with all the important Vulcans how we see later in DS9 and VOY?
    What is with Tuvok and the Captain of the Saratoga ?
    Gets the Voyager destroyed or is Sisko killed in WOLF 359,, because he commands the
    Saratoga?
    Aditionaly: Is the Federation strong engouh to Survive without it's second most important planet.
    So if the Film happens in the old univers it would change dramaticly and it unable to use the old model from TNG, DS9 and VOY.

3. Dave_Oz

Dave_Oz Chieftain

I bet its a dream or vision.

4. Aurore

Aurore Chieftain

It's not in another universe. It's a deliberate and permanent change in the timeline. They want a clean slate. Star Trek TOS didnt fit into the rest of the series, partly because it never really had an ongoing plot and the setting wasnt well defined. This change means that indeed DS9, TNG, voyager, never happened. Star Trek is restarting. Only the old Spock remembers what time would have been like. Enterprise is the only one of the series that actually has happened.

5. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

TPTB have stated on multiple ocasions that it is an alternate reality. When Spock and Nero traveled through time, they created it. All of the series happened, but only Enterprise and Trek XI happened in THIS timeline.

6. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

The most reviled series is the only one that they keep, not the classic series or the 21 seasons of much better TV than Enterprise? I feel insulted.

7. apenpaap

Try rewatching it. It's actually very good.

And the other series still happened, just not in the univrse where trek XI and XII are set.

8. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Oh, I do like certain parts of Enterprise, just not in preference to the other 24 series of TV and ten films! Then again, if they've finally got rid of Rick Berman, perhaps we might finally get some LGBT representation in the allegedly utopian Star Trek universe.

9. hansdampf

hansdampf Chieftain

Yeah, I kinda hated the..
    :)scan: Spoillon warning!)
    Spoiler :
    killing off of Vulcan part. To me it smells like just another excuse for some bombastic CGI fracking around. The two brainiacs, that came up with the script, even wanted to blow the damn Enterprise up! Paramount(off all people) forbade it. :mad:

Well eventually I will watch the flic on DVD. But so far it seems like TOS bombastic, with good actors pulling it out of the brain-fail category.

So bottom line, plz ignore the new ST XI Enterprise.

10. me_myrmidon

me_myrmidon Chieftain

I would vote: go with the 1701 alpha refit Enterprise: in comparing the designs from apenpaap's post, the new movie Enterprise looks like what would happen if an Italian and a Chrysler car designer collaborated over the original Star Fleet Technical Manual designs

- Italian designer went a little too swoopy with the secondary hull...not really a cruiser design but more for a sports car.

- Chrysler designer insisted on shoving on these blocky warp nacelles that totally do NOT mesh with the rest of the ship.

- however, the saucer section looks just right

The refit looks like a starship. It is the realized rebirth for the original series.

Since we're talking about the "Star Trek 2" mod, then a "refit Enterprise" would match perfectly.

Looking forward to the next mod!

11. apenpaap

We already have the refit in: it's the Light II. The question is which one do you prefer for the Light I. I prefer the original for several reasons: it looks way better, the Abrahms abomination is from a parralel universe, and we have all known the original for 40 years. Here's a funny picture about it, BTW:

12. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Chieftain

Right, except this a Ship form another Univers , it also doesnt look really good.

p.s.: Potentially it was the plan of the "Star Trek" 11 makers that Fiat buys Chrysler, because they wanted to have a new design company for "Star Trek" 12 :lol:

13. me_myrmidon

me_myrmidon Chieftain

Got confused by the pic of the 1701-a vs. the new movie Enterprise on page 1 of this thread...

So I vote for Constitution class from the original series. In fact, as close to the exact proportion as shown in the Starfleet Technical Manual as possible.

14. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

Is this really an issue anymore, since we know that the new Enterprise is an alternate universe ship?

What I mean is, will the result of this poll actually mean anything?

15. deanej

deanej Chieftain

The poll doesn't mean anything now, because I made my decision last April (and carried out in 2.0). I stayed with the original design.

16. JareshInyo

JareshInyo Chieftain

Here's a compromise. The new enterprise could be used for the alternate universe civilization (the terran empire). The original could stay as the federation's light 1.

17. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

This poll is pretty old- deanej already decided to go with the regular one, and it was rendered useless after we found out the new movie was in an alternate universe/new timeline.

I think it would be a bit silly to use the new Enterprise in the Terran Empire simply because it makes no sense. The Mirror Universe has nothing to do with the new timeline.

18. Onyx135

Onyx135 Chieftain

This Is why the original needs to be used. When they made the new movie they boched everything that had to do with the ships. If they remade the borg it might be something like this. . . .NOW::borg: --> when "they" get their hands on it. :scan:

19. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Personally I don't believe the large size of the new one. But then again, I'm a little more liberal when it comes to literally interpreting everything than most other trekkies.

I think everyone should just say this: the studio execs are wrong, it's the same size as the TMP Enterprise, and let's just ignore anything that contradicts that unless there is a very compelling reason to do so otherwise.

20. apenpaap

I agree. Making the shuttlebay that huge was just a stupid mistake like the thing in The Final Frontier with the Enterprise-A having like 80 decks.