Which game pace do you prefer?

AstralVisage

Chieftain
Which game pace do y'all prefer when it comes to CiV?

I normally play standard pacing, but I was thinking about moving up to epic speed because I feel some eras of the game are glossed over rather quickly. Even then I fear that it may take too long. I can't even imagine marathon.

Cheers!

Quick, maybe Standard.

Epic and Marathon are just so painful! Start the game: Okay, lets build a worker. Hit next turn 40 times. Hey Worker, Improve that tile. Hit next turn 20 times. And that goes on for the whole next month until the game is finished and it won't feel better than winning on faster speeds.

I almost feel like I have to play on standard just so a military victory isn't 100% the best way to win every game. With 600+ turns in an epic game to hit the 3 peaceful victories, that's a lot of unit movement and military flexibility. I'm just a little tired of domination being the only good victory, it makes the game feel like Risk (ugh).

Quick 85% of the time (Multiplayer)

Standard 15% of the time (singleplayer)

It takes me a full week to finish a standard game, and I play a lot so that's a long time, and I don't want to stretch it out more. Like others I do feel like eras can go by too quickly, but I want to try more civs so I need to get through games in a reasonable time. If I have played every civ and go back and play others I might go for epic, but maybe only if I play on doing a lot of conquest. If I'm not using unit then the game is just longer without any real difference.

I used to inly play standard, but recently I've been getting into epic... After a very bad experience I will NEVER go back to Marathon.

I used to play civ 4 at maraton all the time.. but the AI becomes to pasive i civ 5 at maraton so mostly epic for me and my freinds and a multiplayer game on epic can still be a very long game normaly it takes around 3-4 days of playing after work with 2-6 humans and matching AI's...

Epic - so much that it's become my 'normal' speed and standard seems insanely fast when I try it. Never tried marathon, but I'm tempted.

I'm always on Epic speed but I turn the max turns upto 999 as I always try to get as big a civ as possible and match stats for previous games (totally sad I know). If I do cvhange then it is for a Marathon Huge map game, ususally if I have a few days off and no plans but to play CiV

As others have mentioned standard doesn't give me a taste of the eras. On my first game on marathon and was a little taken aback by build times, but think that may change as I become acclimated to it.

On a side note, I rarely finished games on standard and epic. Would get to the point where I thought the end game was inevitable and stop playing.

Mostly epic, with a few forays into marathon. I agree that sometimes normal blazes through some epochs too fast. The problem I find with epic and marathon is that by the time I get to the atomic era, the ai has had enough time to spam carpets of doom and everything slows to a crawl as the computer chugs through 200 unit moves/turn.

I also agree with whyidie, I usually see the path to victory and just stop playing.

Played Quick until I figured out it was too hard for me.

Switched to Standard. Like it.

Considering Epic, maybe the slower speed will help me and I can move up in difficulty.

Play on King now, won my last game as China easily.

Standard. I used to play Marathon games all the time, but lately, I haven't the patience nor the time to play a single game for 2 weeks (on my schedule), so now, I play Standard or Quick games.
I play on Emperor, (but the last Emperor game the Arabians beat me to the prime settling spot, and I ragequitted). [pissed]

Standard. I used to play Marathon games all the time, but lately, I haven't the patience nor the time to play a single game for 2 weeks (on my schedule), so now, I play Standard or Quick games.
I play on Emperor, (but the last Emperor game the Arabians beat me to the prime settling spot, and I ragequitted). [pissed]

Ragequit, Ragequit
Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do when the comp trolls you?
:band:

Epic - so much that it's become my 'normal' speed and standard seems insanely fast when I try it. Never tried marathon, but I'm tempted.

What he said.

The only time I ever play Standard is when I'm playing a scenario (rarely).

I used to play Marathon occasionally on Civ4 with the TotalRealism mod, but my current PC can't handle big maps in Civ5, and I don't see the point of Marathon unless I have a lot of room.

Marathon is too much and Quick is, well, too quick, unless I have only an hour or so and don't know what to do with my life at the moment.

So mostly Standard and Epic. I play Standard if I want and plan to win and Epic if I want to roleplay and immerse myself for a little longer than a couple of hours.

Same here. I have to because I like longer, more realistic games, and Epic provides that. Also, I'm still not very good at Civ V, but I'm getting there, so it gives me time to ensure that the decisions I make are good ones.

Top Bottom