• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Which leaders do you love/hate?

apenpaap

Tsar of all the Internets
Which leaders do you love and which ones do you hate? Here are mine, from the love of my life to my archenemy:

The love of my life:
Boudica (She looks really good, is a great and trustworthy ally, but REALLY dangerous as an enemy)

Good friends:
Kublai Khan.
Elisabeth (I've met her only twice, and both times, she became friendly)
Saladin (If I share his religion, he's probably my greatest ally. Else, he'll die.)

Often allies:
Peter
Stalin
Catherine (I get along well with all three russians most of the time, but sometimes, they can be real bastards)
Augustus
Asoka (We always get along, but he never helps me with wars)
Willem van Oranje
Suleiman
Frederick (He would be a good friend if he wouldn't always get vassalized to my enemies)
Justitianus
Lincoln
Roosevelt

Indifferent:
Pacal (he is often an enemy, but when he's angry, he changes into Gollum, which makes him quite cool)
Huayna Capac
Wang Kon
Joao
Qin Shi Huang
Mao
Bismarck
Julius Caesar
Alexander
Pericles
Cyrus
Darius (haven't met him yet)
Hatshepsut
Rammeses (haven't met him yet)
Brennus (haven't met him yet, I always use custom game to make sure Boudica's in the game)
Mehmed
Genghis Khan (HUGE warmonger, but he never really bothers me)
Washington
Churchill (haven't met him yet)
Louis XIV
Napoleon
De Gaulle (haven't met him yet)

Annoying idiots:
Annoyed:
Tokugawa (You stupid isolationist! Why don't you DO something?!?!?)
Hammurabi (He's not really annoying in civ4, but in civ3 he was my nemesis. He looked cooler then, BTW, he looks like a dwarf now)
Victoria
Ghandi
Hannibal (backstabber)
Charlemagne
Zara Jaqob (Backstabber)
Shaka
Gilgamesh
Ragnar

Total gits:
Mansa Musa (He isn't dangerous, but REALLY annoying. He always tries to backstab me (except for one game, but I backstabbed hím then). Since he doesn't really build an army, I can desroy him without much trouble, but unfortunatly, he has built an alliance by then)
Isabella (I hated her in vanilla civ, but I haven't met her since I got BTS)
Montezuma (stupid idiot... he loves war, but lacks any kind of strategy)

My Nemesis:
Suryavarman (In every game I meet him, he tries to make a large empire by conquering and vassalizing his neighbors, which makes him a very dangerous enemy at the end of the game. He always starts far away from me, so our great war often has to wait till tanks arrive on the battlefield. Also, he vassalized Boudica (after conquering half her land) in my last game. (I sent a huge army too free her, after which she conquered Suryavarman, :lol:). And his name sucks too.

So what do you people think of the leaders? You don't have to say what you think of every leader, like I did, but just tell who your friends and enemies are.

Hattie is my best friend. Only trouble is, she is often more popular than I am and I may have to face her in a UN or AP election.

Liz is good in an alliance or as a vassal. She tends to pull her weight.

Hannibal is a worthy adversary, a threat in a war or a space race.

Izzie can be useful for researching religious techs, freeing me for other pursuits, if I want to cooperate.

The aggressive leaders will attack or dogpile if I ever weaken, so whether I initiate hostillities or they do, we're most likely to be enemies at some point. At least they fight when they're on your side.

The protective leaders are the most useless. Sometimes Japan is like an ice shelf- nobody can cross it or trade with it.

Liked
Every vassal or war ally

Hated
Every other civ.

hope this helps.

Like:
Hatshepsut: Eager to trade and mostly non-threatening. Also, she always wants my babies.
Both Celts: Loyal and competent allies in wartime.
Montezuma: Not quite as loyal, but willing to fight and unlikely to be a long-term threat.
Frederick: Good trade partner, fades into insignificance on his own, warmonger magnet.

Dislike:
Joao: Needy and useless. Too niggardly for trade, too cowardly for war.
Sitting Bull: Useless waste of space. Start researching instead of poisoning my water!
Suryavarman: Competent in war and peace, but won't fight my wars for me and gets upset easily.
Shaka: Don't want to give in to his bullying since he can actually be a long-term problem.
The French: Do I need a reason?

Like but kill anyway:
Catherine: Good trading partner, competent builder, will do anything to anyone at pleased... but too fickle in the long run.
Mansa Musa: Techs well, trades freely, is a pushover. Remaining the tech leader is easier if he is pushing up daisies.

Which leaders do you love and which ones do you hate? Here are mine, from the love of my life to my archenemy:

The love of my life:
Boudica (She looks really good, is a great and trustworthy ally, but REALLY dangerous as an enemy)

WTF? She looks hideous!

I like:
Elizabeth
Gandhi
Washington
Lincoln
Roosevelt
Hatty
Mansa
Bismark
Asoka
Willem
Augustus Caesar
Fredrick
Ramesses
Cyrus
Zara

Dont like:
Hannible
Tokugawa
Joao
Boudica
Justinian
Saladin
Sitting Bull
Stalin
Gilgamesh
De Gualle
Alexander
Napoleon
Brennus

HATE with a passion :mad::
Monty
Shaka
Isabella
Julius Caesar
Ragnar
Genghis Khan
Charmelagne

Hannibal is an amazing vassal. He WILL help you if you are invaded. I was invaded on my coast all the way across my empire from Hannibal's and they took my city. Before I could muster up the force to repel them there was Hannibal with a Stack of Doom, took the city back and gave it back to me.

Sitting bull is always a jerk, always making demands with people I'm friendly with. I wish there could be a "the answer is ALWAYS no" option so I didn't have to be bothered by him, :mad: so annoying.

Hannibal, Elizabeth, and Zara are pretty much always my allies - I feel bad when I have to conquer one of them, but oh well.

The French usually are allied with Shaka or a warmonger against me as well, so usually they are :mad:

:love: Willem, Hannibal, Gandhi

:satan: Shaka, Isabella, Monty

Allies
Stalin
Peter
Gandhi( because he is mainly a pushover)
Hatshepsut
Montezuma( good when he is Vassled to me)

Bad
Tokugawa( loner)
Washington
Isabella( Reglion freak)
Shaka

Best friend : Hannibal. Useful trade partner, decent in every aspect of the game, never backstabbed me once.

Friends : Gilgamesh, Cyrus, Hatty, Alex (despite being a sneaky backstabber), Saladin and Izzy (even on different religions they're good if you're theocrat, and I'm often theocrat), the Caesars if they're far away from me.

Dislikes : any Caesar near me with iron, any worthless trade partner, Ragnar on a bad day, Shaka out of range for a warrior rush, Huayna Capac hogging all wonders, ugly wackos like Pacal, Justinian, Survy.

Unnecessary wastes of space : Toku, Sitting Bull, Monty.

Good friend:
Suryavarman (I've had immaculate success making a PA with him--which is when his gigantic empire, many vassals, and just pure late-game uberness comes in handy. While he may not make excellent hammer cities, he has many decent cities)

Sometimes good, sometimes bad:
Isabella (If I have the same religion--it's pure awesomeness)
Justin (Same as Isabella)
Willem van Oranje (He tried to backstab me last game, but my current war should stop that a second time. He's distracted with Augustus Caesar right now--and I'm just razing every city since my game is an OCC)
Frederick (My current game has him as a master of a few civs and just doing dang well)

Annoying:
Tokugawa (TRADE ME GOD DANG-IT!!)
Joao II (You backstabbed me after getting a +10 rating--and for what?!? I had a freaking defensive pact with Hannibal and he DECIMATED you after I took back my city!!!)
Either Caesar (I unfortunately end up with these guys as my neighbor most games--which means that I have to kill them pre-Praet or post-Praet... I prefer pre-Praet... and they just get annoying to see game after game)

MUST KILLLLLLLLLLLL:
Monty (of course--he is annoying early and mid game)

Really... indifferent:
All other leaders. I've had fun with Hannibal on my side--and I usually keep him warring before he will BS me. A defensive pact will make sure they won't attack you, especially if you have even a half-assed military to "fight".

Best friends : Cyrus and Saladin
Most of the time after a long DP they become an eternal ally.

The most annoying leaders : Mansa Musa and Pacal II
My games always end up in a tech race for everything when they are in the game and on a different continent.

In all my games with Pacal he has been isolated and constantly comes begging for techs; his fit of anger when you turn him down is priceless every time

I love having guys like Mansa Mansa / Darius / Pacal as neighbors. They build jack for troops, love building an early wonder, just love turning their capitol into my gp farm.

Tokuwanga can be a pain in the ass when you have a fractal map and hes the only other person on your island (cant trade anything). Otherwise I kind of like having him as sort of a buffer state. He will generally have bad relations with everyone so you can sort of just invade him in the middle ages for a little good expansion without any real consequences.

like:

Ghandi (good food for army or a friend for life)
any non-protective civ

hate:
monte
genghis
mansu
HC (at some point he always goes out of control.)
Cyrus en Jao have backstabbed me too many times.

Top Bottom