Which major empire was your current area once a part of?

Which empire?

• Total voters
I don't know why British people get so indignant when somebody suggests abolishing their sordid little monarchy. As if republicanism is some swivvle-eyed utopian dalliance, and not the global norm?

Isn't that what the hoity-toity have been saying all along?

One of the original 13 colonies, so: British Empire.

That is the question for this thread. When I'm in North Carolina I'm in land that was once part of the British Empire, and when I'm in Oklahoma I'm in land that was once part of the Spanish Empire. I'm in North Carolina right now so I'll vote for the British Empire.
Why did you include those seemingly arbitrary choices?
I voted British and Abbaside while I could actually vote for the following major empires -
Egypt (al-amarna period)
Neo-Assyria
Neo Babylonia
Achamenid Empire
Macedon / Seleucid
Roman Empire
Byzantine
Umayyad
Abbasids
Seljuqs
Ayyubids
Mamluks
Ottomans
British

And many more, like Palmyrene or Rashidub, if we go to a lesser scale.

Last edited:
Why did you include those seemingly arbitrary choices?
I voted British and Abbaside while I could actually vote for the following major empires -
Egypt (al-amarna period)
Neo-Assyria
Neo Babylonia
Achamenid Empire
Macedon / Seleucid
Roman Empire
Byzantine
Umayyad
Abbasids
Seljuqs
Ayyubids
Mamluks
Ottomans
British

And many more, like Palmyrene or Rashidub, if we go to a lesser scale.

If you're talking about Israel, you're forgetting the Sassanids and Fatimids. :)

If you're talking about Israel, you're forgetting the Sassanids and Fatimids. :)

Meh. The Sassanids only held the place for less than twenty years during the Roman-Persian war of 602-628, and never really incorporated it properly. I haven't combed the thread obviously but I'm not sure something like that should "count."

Meh. The Sassanids only held the place for less than twenty years during the Roman-Persian war of 602-628, and never really incorporated it properly. I haven't combed the thread obviously but I'm not sure something like that should "count."

Then the Seljuks shouldn't be on the list, either.

The British and for a short while, the Japanese.

One town, Malacca, was conquered and used by the Portuguese and later the Dutch as a fortified outpost to control nearby trade routes though.

Then the Seljuks shouldn't be on the list, either.
Interesting to think about it - Seljuqs are a period sometimes taught about and could be considered some kind of a common knowledge among Israelis.
No one in Israel, however, would know or remember that the Sassanids had any interaction with this land. All of the names that I mentioned above including the Seljuqs are, to some extent, known here as historical rulers of the land, while the Sassanids, although being a top class power, are not.

Interesting to think about it - Seljuqs are a period sometimes taught about and could be considered some kind of a common knowledge among Israelis.
No one in Israel, however, would know or remember that the Sassanids had any interaction with this land. All of the names that I mentioned above including the Seljuqs are, to some extent, known here as historical rulers of the land, while the Sassanids, although being a top class power, are not.

As noted, the sassanid empire only controlled the area during the massive and final byzantine-sassanid war. Which it lost, and the only actual change caused by the war was the arab rise (and subsequent collapse of the sassanid empire).

Top Bottom