1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

which UU is the best?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Jawz II, Apr 5, 2004.

1. YNCS

YNCS Ex-bubblehead

As a builder I prefer defensive units. However, I usually play the Ottomans because of the Industrious/Scientific attributes. As a result, I rarely get the benefit of having a good offensive UU.

As the old saying goes: "You pay your money and you take your chance."

2. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

I must admit that the BERSERK is awsome (but so were the Vikings as well :D)
    Which other nation has Marines in the early Middle ages?

3. Jawz II

Jawz II Oh Dear

yeah i figuered it prolly has popped out a few times before

reminds me of the time,4 years ago or so when i was a member at the counterstrike forum,every week there would be the same 3 "totally awsome new ideas!!"

1.rocket launcher

2.akimbo pistols(till they actually put it in the game)

3.red dot laser sight

however i think favourite civ/favourite UU shouldve made sticky long time ago

my 2 cents:goodjob:

4. Point13

Point13 Like a ton of bricks!

Mounted Warrior, has 1 defense, ANYTHING has a prayer of killing them

Siphai, a defense of 3, yet they are used when calvary and riflemen are the goods, plus, cannons are useable then too...

Immortals, are the spearmen equivilent, spearmen are used THE ENTIRE ANCIENT AGE, yet they certainally manage to hold their own until pikes...

5. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

In my experience Swordsmen chew spearmen and spit them back out.

They also have a prayer of surviving any slow attack, and can move back into a fortified position after attacking. I.e, a kill zone

6. Mad Bomber

Mad Bomber Commander

Swordsmen usually win but they hardly chew up Spears especially if used in combination with Bombarment units. Also You will rarely be attacking a single immortal, and attacking an immortal Sod without support is nothing short of suicide.

They can, but that does take them out of the battle for at least two turns if not more. Saphai are Ok but they are not really needed as a beeline to a regular cav will give you an edge until replaceable parts is researched.

7. hoplite505

hoplite505 Sid Conqueror

i kinda like legionaries with the defensive bonus

Gallic swordsman i think is worthless if you have ivory you can build statue of zeus get a free ancient calvary every five turns and they have an hp bonus i only play celts for civ traits

My favorite probably is the Mayan Javelin Thrower. The defensive bonus makes it hard to kill with Archers, has enslave, and the Mayans have great traits.

the samarai sound cool but my only japanese game was surrounded by tundra on a rock in the middle of the ocean so i quit

8. truckingpete

truckingpete On a Stark Trek

Siphia, War Elephant, Sams, BerZerks, Musketeer in this order....

9. Comrade Pedro

Comrade Pedro High Partisan Commander

Two favorites: Immortals, the very soul of the persian army, and the legionary, the real discipline soldier.

10. dafunk

dafunk Chieftain

i like the hoplites to defend in the ancient age and as cheap defense in the early middle ages, the immortals as elite offensive units in the bronze age and cheap in the middle ages, and the legionary as good offense and defense in the bronze age.

11. hawai_74

hawai_74 mac über alles

samourais

12. chancellor_dan

chancellor_dan Prince

Panzers - a mastery of German arms...how terrified our enemies must be of der panzer.

13. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

First of all, who said I would attack it without support? Second, attacking an Immortal SOD would be better than attacking a single immortal as your unit would be exposed for more immortals.

It takes just as long for a fast unit to heal as a slow unit.

With a fast unit:

First turn: Attack the enemy, win, retreat.

Second turn: Heal

Third turn: Back in action

That's one turn out of action.

With a slow unit:

First turn: Attack the enemy, auto-retreat OR stay in the open to be slaughtered

Second turn: Heal

Third turn: Back in action

See the difference? ;)

14. Mad Bomber

Mad Bomber Commander

Toyomo:

My point is that cavalry are almost as good as Saphai when not trying to take on infantry and Saphais do just as poorly as Cav against infantry so the benefit of the Sapahi is minimal. Swords hardly chew up spears but Immortals hold their own against muskets, very well against pikes, and spears don't stand a chance against them.

The bottom line is this: The immortal gives you much more reward for a longer period of time than the Saphai.

15. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I see your point. However, the Mounted Warrior will still work well against muskets, and the Sipahi are much better against rifles. However, it all depends on the game and your preferences, so the last sentence could be changed depending on your playstyle. (Is that one word?)

P.S. And it's Tomoyo, not Toyomo.

16. Xen

Xen Magister

legionary, no question about it, powerful enough that in my personal mod I have turned off the option for them to upgrade, as they are more valubel throught the middle ages as what they are rather then medieval infantry, though, IMO, the rel life legions would be better repsented by an additional point of health as well (but an incresed cost to match)

17. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I really don't get why legions should upgrade at all, because then once you discover fuedalism, you can't build legions unless you didn't have your GA.

Note: I don't like to end a quote in the middle of a sentence, but I couldn't find a period in your entire post.

18. Mad Bomber

Mad Bomber Commander

I wouldn't use a MW against a musket unless I had no other choice. Immortals are useful until your opponet starts feilding riflemen.

What are you, some type of anal retentive English teacher? Who cares if bottom line is one word, two words, or two hyphenated words, as long as you get the point of the message.

Xen:

I'd rather have the 4.2.1 MEI rather than the Legionary but that may be just my preference. Of course, you are not required to upgrade the Legionaries if you do not wish to.

19. Homie

Homie Anti-Lefty

@HalfBadger
    By your analysis, the Cartheganian UU should be the best. As it has everything the Hoplite does PLUS 1 extra attack point: 2.3.1 is better than 1.3.1

@Tomoyo
    Mad bomber is correct about the Siphai vs Immortal dispute, it is obvious.

@ everybody
    Although Gallic Swordsmen kicks Immortals ass, because speed is preferable. This UU is the best UU in the widest range of scenarios, therefore the best UU overall. (Don't correct me by saying "It depends on playstyle, difficulty level, blah blah blah...", I said: IN THE WIDEST RANGE OF SCENARIOS)

20. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

This shows a difference in our warmongering styles. I would. :D Then again, I use Jaguar Warriors against Pikemen. :p