which UU is the best?

Originally posted by Homie
@HalfBadger
By your analysis, the Cartheganian UU should be the best. As it has everything the Hoplite does PLUS 1 extra attack point: 2.3.1 is better than 1.3.1

True, but they pay an extra 10 shields for that extra attack, which being defensive units they won't use as much. So the extra attack is somewhat negated/balanced.

Someone mentioned that the Hoplite would cause an early GA, so then maybe Muskateer is the best UU? maybe they could be put into 'tiers' like top tier UUs are: Hoplite, Muksateer, Ansar Warriors, Riders and Sipahi.

Middle tier: Immortals, Enkidu Warriors, Berserk, Samurai, Gaelic Swrodsmen.

Typically the best UUs, wouldn't care if it's a large map or small, pangea or archipelago, access to specifics resources, who your opponents are etc.

Versatility should also be considered when thinking of good UUs.

I love the Cossacks! An early blitz unit!

I often use them defensive. Supported by cannons or artillery, I kill of all intruders and usually produce many MGLs as the cossacks after 2 attacks in a row always are elite(if not dead).

And from Military Tradition to Motorized Transportation it's quite some time.

But I agree that you can't say there is a best UU. I think the fact that the Immortals are that popular makes them one of the best. And what good does a good UU do when the Civs' traits do not fit your playing style?? I never play the Germans, because I do not like the military trait. And this although I am German and the Panzer is a cool unit.

Eventually I always loose track of the topic in my posts:crazyeye:

My favorite UU is Mounted Warrior. For the same price of a horseman you get a extra attack, by far one of the best deals in the game ;).

panzer spanks the ass

move your panzer armie next to a city this turn and u can kill 3 units in that city next turn,or if u have plenty panzer armies u can move 2 tile in enemy territory and kill a unit in their city

any unit, even MI!

in my current game i got 10 panzer armies!

in a recent war where i wiped out the babylonians i took 9 citys first turn,after that in another war with the japanese i took 13 cities first turn!

thats a personal record for me

Originally posted by Doc Holliday
My favorite UU is Mounted Warrior. For the same price of a horseman you get a extra attack, by far one of the best deals in the game ;).

Yeah, I agree. I even try and avoid getting Chivalry, so I can keep building them at 30 rather than knights, just 1 attack better and more than twice the price. Iroquos rock!

Mounted Warrior...pooh... feh... you all have to admit, the Egyptian War Chariot is the snazziest looking UU in the ancient age...

Originally posted by scoutsout
Mounted Warrior...pooh... feh... you all have to admit, the Egyptian War Chariot is the snazziest looking UU in the ancient age...

in the ancient age yes, But the Berserk swinging his huge Axe is the best animation in the whole game, it sometimes makes me cringe sometimes seeing a unit stand there as this guy swings a huge Axe at him. You know that had to hurt.

Originally posted by HalfBadger
in the ancient age yes, But the Berserk swinging his huge Axe is the best animation in the whole game, it sometimes makes me cringe sometimes seeing a unit stand there as this guy swings a huge Axe at him. You know that had to hurt.
Well now, if you're going to take the "bigger is better" attitude, then how can you overlook the Indian War Elephant, that thing is impressive! (Seriously - a "knight" without resources isn't half bad....)

Originally posted by Tomoyo
What about the Samurai's nice swordswork...?
Good point! Okay - I'm changing my vote - again. (Actually, those Sammys are pretty tough to kill...)

Immortals, they give me a great head start on a conquest victory. I also like riders because they're fast.

I personally like the german panzer. i hold my own until the industrial age, then start pumping out panzers and blitzkrieging the nearest civ :)

Originally posted by scoutsout
Well now, if you're going to take the "bigger is better" attitude, then how can you overlook the Indian War Elephant, that thing is impressive! (Seriously - a "knight" without resources isn't half bad....)

And in C3C they get an extra health point, so they are a bit better than half bad :).

It's very cool, seeing a Berserker swining his Axe at an Elephant though.

the prime consideration for best UU has to the timing of your GA.
For this reason I prefer the war elephant. I don't get much out of those ancient age GAs. Waiting for a panzer or even a cossack to give you a GA is to damn late.

I am quite partial to the Siphai because when they come along, my Ottoman civ is ready to wage war against all who have had the temerity to offend us! ;)

So I build Siphai like crazy, research steam power, and the moment I get industrialization, I attack with my Sipahi hordes to trigger a golden age.

Then I quickly build factories "two for one," take out a neighbor with my Sipahis, and put on a grin like the cat that ate the canary.

really depending on the map. i recently found out the Dromon is unstoppable.

When you are on your own island, all ancient units are out of the question. also ancient GAs are the worst thing in the world.
therefore no ancient UU will be the best.

most games already have the winner decided by nationalism. its just a matter of slowly killing everyone. therefore no industrial or modern UU can be the best.

whats left?
Rider
Sipahi
Berserk

these are the only ones we should be picking from

Originally posted by Tomoyo
The Musketeer! Why? Because a) It doesn't require iron or horses :D and b) neither do longbows or trebuchets, so im never screwed.

Another reason is that no one else will pick it. Did I mention it had defensive bombard.

I think the Rider is the most effective UU.

Actually, it doesn't have defensive bombard.

The F-15!!! no, just kidding.

Probably Sipahi or Beserk, they're just such good offensive units.

@Gogf - Actually, it does. At least in Conquests anyway.

Top Bottom