which UU is the best?

ststeven11 said:
Marines don't enjoy the disparity between their own attack strength and the defensive strength of their contemporaries (Infantry), therefore, Marines require greater numbers and more support to be successful. The Berserk is a unique unit indeed, and well worth the added cost.

Um Unless I misread my screen or there is a bug in my patch, my Marines in C3C were 12.6.1 (maybe 12.8.1). I do agree that the Berserk is an extremely Unique unit, but Marines attack to defense isn't that bad.

I just found out that Russian Cossacks once one of the worst UU became and extremely attractive.
Cossacks can now (i think it started with C3C) do blitz - attack up to 3 times during the same turn.
It makes them a superior unit in MGL fishing and triples their attack ability...

as i said never really liked this UU but now playing for russians just got better.

dmanakho said:
I just found out that Russian Cossacks once one of the worst UU became and extremely attractive.
Cossacks can now (i think it started with C3C) do blitz - attack up to 3 times during the same turn.
It makes them a superior unit in MGL fishing and triples their attack ability...

as i said never really liked this UU but now playing for russians just got better.

Shhhh, don't let them in this strategy, they're all still focused on the Sipahi having extra attack for extra shields. :nono:

dmanakho said:

I haven't played Russia in C3C yet, only Vanilla, but it seems to me that you wouldn't have all that many chances to use the blitz ability. Normally at this time you are attacking Musketmen or at best Pikemen and those will normally take at least a couple of HP off your Cossacks, making it risky to re-use them on that turn for the guaranteed Elite. You could of course bring Cannons along but then you lose the advantage of the Cossack's movement. In a defensive position however it could be extremely useful for picking off invading forces if you had artillery in your city.

Like I said, I haven't actually used them, but I'm not yet convinced that this is one of the better UUs.

dze27 said:
You could of course bring Cannons

those are the key words... I am not crazy enough to attack enemy's cities with out bombard support, and not cannons but artillery.
Replacable parts are usually the technology i try discover ASAP in modern age and it is still far enough for the tank appearance. So you can use either cannons or artillery to soften city defendants using classic scheme to capture city and then you make each and every of your cossacks elite.
I played a game just last week and during the war against japanese (and they had riflemen defending their cities) I made 4 MGLs in just probalby 10 to 12 turns of war.
Super Cool!

Good point, I was thinking more of the Mid-to-Late Middle Ages use of them as opposed to the Mid-Industrial Age Cavalry/Infantry/Artillery warfare side. I'll have to try it out. The Russians have pretty good traits too, being Scientific/Expansionist. And then with all those MGLs make some Cossack Armies and really start taking names :)

Also, another good use for the blitz ability is that you can kill off three red lined (by cannons, of course) units, during a defensive counterattack.

Immortals, having a swordsman unit that can reliably crush spearman is nice. Standard swordsman annoy me b/c they have trouble killing spearman, and a single point of attack can allow you to win at least 50% more often against spearman defending cities. I don't really like the Legionary though, the extra point of defense is useful for peace-time but useless for invasions.
I also really like hoplites, you're pretty much invincible untill the Middle Ages if you're Greek.

It's a tie between Hoplites and Immortals.

How do you mean, Legionaries are useful for peacetime? If it's peacetime, all units are pretty much useless.

dze27 said:
I haven't played Russia in C3C yet, only Vanilla, but it seems to me that you wouldn't have all that many chances to use the blitz ability. Normally at this time you are attacking Musketmen or at best Pikemen and those will normally take at least a couple of HP off your Cossacks,

I've seen a few civs that either don't have the resources, money or roads to upgrade all their unit. The last time I played as Russia, I found a weak Civ, blitzed them to upgrade my Cossacks and produce a few MGL, then went after the bigger civs who had Musketmen and Pikeman defending. The faster you upgrade to elite, the faster you get a MGL, means faster heroic eipc and military academy, means more Armies to crush your opponents.

Also say the defending has 2 defenders, if 1-2 of your cossacks attack wound the defenders a bit, then the 3rd cossack easily blitz them and get upgraded, I guess thats similar to the artillery attack to weaken defenders.

HalfBadger said:
Um Unless I misread my screen or there is a bug in my patch, my Marines in C3C were 12.6.1 (maybe 12.8.1). I do agree that the Berserk is an extremely Unique unit, but Marines attack to defense isn't that bad.

Wow! I didn't know that the Marines had been tweaked in the last patch. Even so, Marines are 20% stronger than their contemporary defenders (Infantry), Bersersks are 33 1/3% stronger (Musketmen).

They weren't tweaked in the patch, they were tweaked in C3C since they were a cruddy unit. 110(?) shields for a 8.6.1 unit! A Tank is only 100 and is 16.8.2! Even with amphibious it was still crap.

The Mayan Javelin thrower is 2/2/1 (same as the Bowman) and has enslave. The enslave works against barbarians and the Mayans are Industrious. This makes for a very nice combination. True, you will likely lose a few Jav. Throwers in a war, but it is at a time when you typically have either despostism or monarchy so no WW. Those extra workers come in very handy, and the Jav Throwers have the same defensive value as spearmen. Since they do not require iron, they are a great unit if you are willing to go to war in the AA.

Top Bottom