Who Besides Me...

How much do you want to get Colonization?

• Total voters

Zebra 9

Emperor
Who besides me is dieing to get their hands on Colonization?

I just wish I wasn't gona be at college when they release it! :( I have to wait until december 15th. :cry:

I'm sorry, I can imagine how difficult it must be for you since I cannot wait even the possible september release.
I will have busy schedule too, so don't know how much I can spend playing it during autumn though.

Will you be there modding it though after you get it? :D

Yeah... been waiting for Col2 since after I played Civ2 to death... that would've been... let's see... 'bout 1997ish... so, eleven years?

Yep. I've waited long enough. :D

That fact is a turn off for me, but I LOVE to MOD so I have to get it and make Civ4: Colonization out of it. lol

I'm DYING to get it! I absolutely can't wait to get it! If only my birthday was in the fall... (it's in August 21 :cool: coming up soon :cool:)

I am not too sure this game will be worth all the fuss actually. the more I hear and the more it gets confirmed that this game will be like the original, the more doubts I have.

The original was fun, but when I played it a few weeks back, it struck me how repetitive it is, how little there is to do in a turn and what little you have to produce in a colony. What colonization lacks is options. In Civ you have options up to the point it drives you mad, in colonization you have few, and when you have them they are hardly interesting.

I will wait for the reviews. If they are not delirious with praise for this remake I might not get it untioll the prices drop and it is in the budget bin.

Yea know what you mean. I was telling a friend the other day that it will probably be repetitive, for goodness sake you always start in the ocean with a settler and soldier! And its not like a long game, so you get done quick and well I never did like scenarios where they just throw soldiers at you! Well that brings me to the point that I'm getting Colonization so I can make Civ 4: Colonization out of it. ;)

Cool! I just created a reason for everyone to buy Col! I'm making a MOD! :cooool:

The original was fun, but when I played it a few weeks back, it struck me how repetitive it is, how little there is to do in a turn and what little you have to produce in a colony. What colonization lacks is options. In Civ you have options up to the point it drives you mad, in colonization you have few, and when you have them they are hardly interesting.

I will wait for the reviews. If they are not delirious with praise for this remake I might not get it untioll the prices drop and it is in the budget bin.

Tobacco, Cotton, Furs, Sugar, Cigars, Cloth, Coats, Rum, Lumber, Tools, Ore, Silver, Muskets, Horses, Food, and Fish is not "little." There are a ton of options! Also, Colonization was made in 1994, before Civ II! Thus, as Civ has evolved, so too will Colonization.

I might get it, depends on the price. I might have to help pay for a field trip to NYC, so i'm gonna be low on money for a long time:(

Tobacco, Cotton, Furs, Sugar, Cigars, Cloth, Coats, Rum, Lumber, Tools, Ore, Silver, Muskets, Horses, Food, and Fish is not "little." There are a ton of options! Also, Colonization was made in 1994, before Civ II! Thus, as Civ has evolved, so too will Colonization.
Silver is only rarely available.

Of all the stuff you mention as things to produce, only a few are lucrative, and most are not an option in most settlements. You need a few musket cites, sure, but most colonies will never need anything of the sort. There are only four kinds of goods that are expensive in Europe, and although they do fetch a good price, they are not relevant in any way. they are of no use whatsoever, except for their market value.

You may think you had a choice, but all you ever did was producing whatever, and shipping it back to Europe.

I can only hope that you are right and that Col has evolved. From what I have heard though, the game will not have evolved all that much. I do not think it will be that big a deal really. Col with fancy graphics and a few gameplay tweeks is not really what I am looking for.

In Civilization especially in the start didn't have much to do. In Colonization you had always plenty of do in each turn IMO.

If you had your infrastructure planned then you were looking for new place to build colony or example seek advantage in naval warfare etc.
Of all the stuff you mention as things to produce, only a few are lucrative, and most are not an option in most settlements. You need a few musket cites, sure, but most colonies will never need anything of the sort. There are only four kinds of goods that are expensive in Europe, and although they do fetch a good price, they are not relevant in any way. they are of no use whatsoever, except for their market value.
You mean like strategic resources?

There are only few in Civilization and when you get them it isn't exactly you do anything with them but just get to produce units as long as you have them. In Colonization you had to organize the logistics and the production of those goods. Including placing your colonies into good places, constructing nice field of roads with wagons moving colony to colony. Taking care natives and "make them know their place" in your plans and being aware of naval activity example pirates. That's plenty to do COMPARED to Civilization where you just automatically make road to resource with improvement and voila! everything is ready for you to produce the unit/building/wonder you want now. Before especially IV after adding terrain improvements etc., earlier Civilizations were quite simplistic. However even some of the newer stuff is just fancy pansy stuff which you basically forget after few games.

Before saying anything like of that just think of sec what it requires for player to produce one unit of dragoon/cavalry in Colonization compared to Civilization. Yeah, now see how stupid you look now? :p

It's fine if you don't like Colonization, but I'm sorry that your point would be so much more sensible if you wouldn't then claim Civilization to be more "complex" as counterexample.

It's matter of taste really since I personally found myself in Civilization quite often just waiting turn to end to get forward since I was utterly bored to be creating some buildings and wonders that would take forever and nothing important seen in the territory to take advantage of.

Also it sounds like the new founding father element brings new choices to the game, let alone the diplomacy between natives and other europeans which weren't so much present in the original game.

But be that as it may, it's your choice to like it or not but I find it utterly strange to tell it's the Colonization where there isn't that much to do. Of course Civilization coming to version IV has evolved during time and it of course remains to be seen how much Colonization has evolved.

And yes, for me it means something. Civilization fanatics which personally I'm not have got three games let alone expansions/mods whatever during the period I have waited from the moment Colonization first came out to get at least something and finally it's happening. So please shut the **** up that it's not big deal :lol:. It might be not for you but others...Just think that Civ II, III and IV wouldn't have ever come out. You would be crying right now.

EDIT: And this all is said in good spirit :), it is just frustrating to hear one mock a game that has been waited for so long and saying it would be almost like the same that it would never come out while one has himself enjoyed countless of hours of his own favourite game with numerous versions of it.

In Civilization especially in the start didn't have much to do. In Colonization you had always plenty of do in each turn IMO.

If you had your infrastructure planned then you were looking for new place to build colony or example seek advantage in naval warfare etc.
You mean like strategic resources?

There are only few in Civilization and when you get them it isn't exactly you do anything with them but just get to produce units as long as you have them. In Colonization you had to organize the logistics and the production of those goods. Including placing your colonies into good places, constructing nice field of roads with wagons moving colony to colony. Taking care natives and "make them know their place" in your plans and being aware of naval activity example pirates. That's plenty to do COMPARED to Civilization where you just automatically make road to resource with improvement and voila! everything is ready for you to produce the unit/building/wonder you want now. Before especially IV after adding terrain improvements etc., earlier Civilizations were quite simplistic. However even some of the newer stuff is just fancy pansy stuff which you basically forget after few games.

Before saying anything like of that just think of sec what it requires for player to produce one unit of dragoon/cavalry in Colonization compared to Civilization. Yeah, now see how stupid you look now? :p

It's fine if you don't like Colonization, but I'm sorry that your point would be so much more sensible if you wouldn't then claim Civilization to be more "complex" as counterexample.

It's matter of taste really since I personally found myself in Civilization quite often just waiting turn to end to get forward since I was utterly bored to be creating some buildings and wonders that would take forever and nothing important seen in the territory to take advantage of.

Also it sounds like the new founding father element brings new choices to the game, let alone the diplomacy between natives and other europeans which weren't so much present in the original game.

But be that as it may, it's your choice to like it or not but I find it utterly strange to tell it's the Colonization where there isn't that much to do. Of course Civilization coming to version IV has evolved during time and it of course remains to be seen how much Colonization has evolved.

And yes, for me it means something. Civilization fanatics which personally I'm not have got three games let alone expansions/mods whatever during the period I have waited from the moment Colonization first came out to get at least something and finally it's happening. So please shut the **** up that it's not big deal :lol:. It might be not for you but others...Just think that Civ II, III and IV wouldn't have ever come out. You would be crying right now.

EDIT: And this all is said in good spirit :), it is just frustrating to hear one mock a game that has been waited for so long and saying it would be almost like the same that it would never come out while one has himself enjoyed countless of hours of his own favourite game with numerous versions of it.
I do not took it any other way except in good spirit. :) I understand where you are oming from. Back in the '90s, I played Col to death. I think it is one of my all time favorites.

This time around however, I have matured as a player and I am looking for other stuff now. I find the option of investing turns in a unit or building more interesting than having colonists switching between professions as they see fit. I likt that system too, but in Civ you had the option to build one thing, or another. In col, you need muskets and horses and you are golden. You can defend a colony and work it too! This is one less choice to make, as you do not have to invest turns in your defense.

Well all te trying to convince me that you have a lot of options in col is just reminding me of how boring I thought the initial game was. It would pick up and be great fun later on though.

I sincerely hope that this remake will be great and that we all will have tons of fun playing again. For me personally though, it will take a whole lot more than just a few tweeks to get me interested again.

Top Bottom