Who do you think will NOT be in NFP?

Which civs will not be returned, refined, or replaced in NFP?

• Portugal

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Venice (something Italian)

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • Morocco (something Maghrebi)

Votes: 43 53.8%
  • Assyria (something Mesopotamian/Levantine)

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Shoshone (something western American)

Votes: 27 33.8%

• Total voters
Of all the options, I think a 'Italy' civ is the least likely .... however, the devs do read these forums and city state Italy has become the new Georgia so I would not count them out for the future
Brace yourselves, Tamar of Genoa is coming :crazyeye:

I believe update 4 will be a Middle Eastern civ, like the Hittites. Agree with above posters about Firaxis holding back Babylon. Update 5 will probably be Vietnam & Kublai Khan. I have no idea for update 6.

With Europe covered and Venice in the game as a city-state, I'm pretty sure Italy and Portugal lost their chance for an appearance in this pass.

And that leaves Mesopotamia, North America, and North Africa. Given the MoorTires codename, I'm inclined to believe pack 4 will be Morocco or the Berbers (something in North Africa). Pack 6 could be a tossup, but considering geographically that North America has a lot more space to fill than the Middle East, I'm leaning towards a new Native American civ making an appearance.

IMO the biggest issue with Portugal not appearing soon with NFP (or at all) is the glaring presence of BRAZIL since the base game. Not arguing against Brazil being in the game as SOME OTHERS MIGHT (glares in @Zaarin ’s general direction, jk buddy) but the fact that we don’t have Portugal yet tells me they aren’t done.

you can argue eight ways about Babylon/Assyria/Hittites, but I have a very very very hard time, especially after Gran Colombia showing up to pair with Spain, that we don’t get the former colonial overlord of Brazil at all i.e. their mother country.

Honestly, I’m just expecting the return of fan favorites Babylon and Portugal. I also saw a spoiler on this forum for the third remaining civ a while back (begins with a “V”), and I don’t have any reason to believe that one’s incorrect.

If NFP does really well and we are lucky enough to get a Final Frontier pass, I’d expect to see renaissance Italy show up there, since it appears to be the new Holy Grail here on the forums. Returning civs like Morocco, Assyria, and the Iroquois also seem like very likely shoe-ins for something like that.

Maybe we’ll also see some new faces like the Goths, the Navajo or Apache, or maybe something central Asian like the Timurids or Kushans (but only if we’re really on Santa’s “nice” list).

Last edited:
Honestly, I’m just expecting the return of fan favorites Babylon and Portugal. I saw a spoiler on this forum for the third remaining civ a while back, and I don’t have any reason to believe that one’s incorrect.

If NFP does really well and we are lucky enough to get a Final Frontier pass, I’d expect to see renaissance Italy show up there, since it appears to be the new Holy Grail here on the forums. Returning civs like Morocco, Assyria, and the Iroquois also seem like very likely shoe-ins for something like that.

Maybe we’ll also see some new faces like the Goths, the Navajo or Apache, or maybe something central Asian like the Timurids or Kushans (but only if we’re really on Santa’s “nice” list).
I hope we can be on Santa’s nice list

Probably would have been better to list "Assyria/Babylon" and "Iroquois/Shoshone" instead of effectively push-polling your opinions on what's being substituted. It's stupid to create needless arguments over which one is actually sort-of in the game when the arguments in either direction are pretty flimsy; regardless of Assyria or Babylon getting in I'd still say the other got screwed with the amount of similar-Civs (Anglosphere, Greeks, even France) we already have. Even if you HAD to choose one, people would probably sooner expect the ones with better attendance records to return.

Anyway Italy and Northern Africa are dead for this pass, I'm almost 100% certain of that. I could see any of the other three getting passed up easily: this game hates the Ancient era, the Cree thing kills motivation to add to Native North America, and Portugal feels like it would have been added by now. I'd lean towards Native North America getting the shaft, though; even if it doesn't I figure it'll probably be a stupidly safe choice like the Iroquois/Sioux just to avoid another fuss. Either way, the Shoshone definitely aren't going to be in VI.

IMO the biggest issue with Portugal not appearing soon with NFP (or at all) is the glaring presence of BRAZIL since the base game. Not arguing against Brazil being in the game as SOME OTHERS MIGHT (glares in @Zaarin ’s general direction, jk buddy) but the fact that we don’t have Portugal yet tells me they aren’t done.

you can argue eight ways about Babylon/Assyria/Hittites, but I have a very very very hard time, especially after Gran Colombia showing up to pair with Spain, that we don’t get the former colonial overlord of Brazil at all i.e. their mother country.

Portugal will happen at some point, there is no reason for this to be excluded, people are just too concerned. If it doesn't happen on NFP, it's a good sign for more future content. I don't particularly see Civ7 happening anytime soon, I think Civ6 still has a lot of life.

I would give a chance for Portugal coming in some small DLC after NFP ... there will surely be more patching, and two or three civs with those I would assume.

Honestly, I’m just expecting the return of fan favorites Babylon and Portugal. I also saw a spoiler on this forum for the third remaining civ a while back (begins with a “V”), and I don’t have any reason to believe that one’s incorrect.
I'm kind of expecting this. On the off chance that the next pack is North Africa, like the Berbers, then I'm hopeful that would mean some of the fan favorites are moved to another pass.
That way Assyria and Babylon could be paired together as well as Italy and Portugal. :)
Is both the Iroquois and Navajo too greedy? :mischief:

With the exception of the Hittites being dropped in the transition from III to IV, the civ franchise up until V had never abandoned a civ; with every installment all civs from the prior game were either brought back, refined into a more specific concept (see HRE/Austria, Vikings/Denmark, Polynesia/Maori, Celts/Gaul), or replaced with a comparable substitute (see Mali/Songhai, Khmer/Siam, Denmark/Norway, Austria/Hungary).

At the moment, we have only three slots left in NFP, but five civs which have not been returned, refined, or replaced:

* Portugal
* Venice
* Morocco
* Assyria (Sumeria presumed to replace Babylon atm)
* Shoshone (Cree/Canada presumed to replace Iroquois atm)

Why would there be a presumption that Sumeria has replaced Babylon? Babylon and Sumeria, and Babylon and Assyria, have both been in the game together in the past. The obvious conclusion is that Sumeria is taking the place of Assyria. What's more, none of the 12 civs from Civ I has ever previously been absent, while Assyria only appeared in Civ V.

It is impossible for all of them to appear in NFP. What do you think will be cut from NFP, and/or might not make it in the game at all?

I don't think any of the civs that were confined to Civ V are likely to make a reappearance, and that the two spare slots (since it was apparently accidentally leaked that Vietnam is the January civ) will be Portugal and Babylon, both civs that have appeared in multiple entries with the Babylonians having appeared in every Civ game to date.

As for the Shoshone, Firaxis may be considering 'tribal Native American civs' as a single category, in which case the Mapuche - who fall into a region never previously represented - and Cree are the counterparts to the Shoshone and Iroquois in Civ V, despite the Mapuche coming from a wholly different region.

(I personally am holding out that DLC 4 will have a completely new civ, leaving us with four of these options left to be filled by a second season. But let's ignore that possibility for the purposes of this poll and presume that both unknown civs are selected from this subset.)

My working assumption is that this is the final release for Civ VI and that it will be used to complete the roster of 'staple' civs in addition to adding the popular fan requests Colombia and Vietnam.

Even if there were a second season, surprisingly it seems that if people here are any guide no one seems to much care if Babylon is in or out despite its history in the franchise (and a lot of people would prefer Assyria even though it's less likely), so it's not much of a hook to hang a second season on.

As for the Shoshone, Firaxis may be considering 'tribal Native American civs' as a single category, in which case the Mapuche - who fall into a region never previously represented - and Cree are the counterparts to the Shoshone and Iroquois in Civ V, despite the Mapuche coming from a wholly different region.
I'm afraid you might be right, though I hope that's not the case. It's nice that South America got more love in this iteration but I hope it's not at the cost of North America.

I'm afraid you might be right, though I hope that's not the case. It's nice that South America got more love in this iteration but I hope it's not at the cost of North America.

North America has Canada, a civ it never had previously, so even if it has one fewer tribal civ it has five civs, the same number it had in Civ V: United States, Aztecs and Maya in both games; Iroquois and Shoshone in Civ V vs. Canada and Cree in Civ VI.

Because the DLC seem to be geographically constrained, and now Europe is covered. North Africa is next and East Asia is after that. The question is whether the final one is Mid East or Native American.

We already have representation for every continent, counting Vietnam as confirmed. There's no real clue in geography to anything else - it all comes down to which arbitrary subcontinental division you imagine Firaxis will use, which is little more than a post-hoc argument in favour of whatever you want it to be. South Asia hasn't been covered yet, so perhaps that can be a basis for expecting Sri Lanka?

If they do stick to geographies I think the only one there's an arguable case for is North America, on the grounds that so many people (erroneously) don't count Mexico as part of it and see the first pack as a 'South America' pack rather than an 'Americas' pack despite the fact that the Maya have nothing to do with South America.

North America has Canada, a civ it never had previously, so even if it has one fewer tribal civ it has five civs, the same number it had in Civ V: United States, Aztecs and Maya in both games; Iroquois and Shoshone in Civ V vs. Canada and Cree in Civ VI.
Well I was sort of disregarding the Colonial nations. Nothing against Canada but I hope that there introduction isn't at the cost of another native group especially since we don't have one that primarily inhabited somewhere in the present-day U.S.

Even so all other regions, or continents, of the world have actually added more civs to their regions than in Civ 5. The only one currently that has the same number of civs I believe is North America.

I feel like Firaxis is holding Portugal and Babylon for another content push after NFP. Venice is also out, as well as any kind of Italian civ

I have the same feeling, seems like they could stretch the lifetime of civVI for at least another season before announcing civ VII. I guess we should expect a few more dark horses before all the favorites are released....and Gaul even points in that direction.

I have the same feeling, seems like they could stretch the lifetime of civVI for at least another season before announcing civ VII. I guess we should expect a few more dark horses before all the favorites are released....and Gaul even points in that direction.

Gaul is just a de-blobbed version of the Celts. They’re not really a “new” civ in that respect.

I'd honestly be surprised if we see another European civ in NFP. Portugal or Venice might sneak in, but I have my doubts. Bulgaria is 500% not gonna happen anytime soon, since I doubt there's gonna be an NFP2. Hell, they should just remove Preslav for the immersion of Basil II's arrival (I'm not salty at all, no :crazyeye:). Here's hoping they make it up in vanilla civ 7.

Given the geographic distribution of the Civs that have appeared in the NFP so far (Central/South America, Africa, Europe), my suspicion is that the remaining three civs will in Mesopotamia, SE Asia, and North America, respectively. My guess is probably Babylon/Assyria/Hittites, Vietnam/Thailand, and Iroquois/Cherokee.

Top Bottom