1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who else agrees that Civ 5 has been dumbed down?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by KingYosef, Sep 23, 2010.

?

Who else agrees that Civ 5 has been dumbed down?

1. Yes

853 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. No

677 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Undecided

152 vote(s)
    9.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

:dubious:
    Is this true? So I got infractions for bashing the guy who was flaming people comparing Civ4 and Civ5 while he didn't even play Civ4?
    Brilliant, just brilliant...

Moderator Action: Public Discussion of moderator actions is not allowed, if a problem arises with a mod actions, we'd be happy to discuss it with you in private. Thanks. :)
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

2. gingerbill

gingerbill Prince

getting rid off sliders is not dumbing down , sliders were a crutch for bad planning.

removing a broken religon system is not dumbing down . I'd rather not have it than it dominate the whole game

replacing civics with policies is not dumbing down. Policies are far better.

removing stacks of doom is not dumbing down.

removing the silly slavery tactic is not dumbing down.

3. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

I've tried to keep to your style ;)

4. Toady

Toady Chieftain

Nice points you made there! Civ V rocks!

5. generalwar

generalwar Philosopher

I have voted no. Civ 5 is much harder and it looks simpler on the first look, but victory now depends on some small and big things that you have or haven't done in the game. It's possible that all of your friends will turn against you if you don't find them a better target, AI tries to eliminate possible winners, 1 UPT that rulez :cool: and specialization of cities and many other things. I think that we need some more time to understand the game's mechanics and to make a real War academy and stop wasting time on threads like this. I guess that here is more people that voted yes only because other people are bored of this negative threads or are playing civ 5. Nothing more to say.

6. Toady

Toady Chieftain

If you need a War Academy forum to handle the complex intricacies of Civ V's warfare system and the threat of the AI trying to eliminate you.... then son there is no salvation for you.

7. generalwar

generalwar Philosopher

I don't need war academy for warfare, warfare is easy, I would like to her some advices on city specialization, having tons of gold even some diplomatic advices. You know that in War academy aren't only disscusions about war, right?:rolleyes:

8. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

For that read Sulla's latest walkthrough with Wu Zetian, he brings interesting (disappointing or sometimes downright depressing, but valuable nonetheless) points about city development and diplomacy, and he in fact gets tons of gold.

I'm sorry, in two years time, with expansions and patches Civ5 might get complex and hard to play. As it is now, all your worries can be solved by warwarwarwarwarwarwar... :sad:

9. Toady

Toady Chieftain

You gave the answer yourself mate, get tons of gold... you 'll be able to plug any culture - happiness - production deficiency that way.

Expand at a snails pace so you can blast through golden ages and spam policies fast.

Randomly click buttons on any diplomatic screen with the AI.

Do what the quest givers ... sorry City States... ask you to do. That or you can buy them too, that's a nice spin off eh? being able to use that so hard to come by cash somewhere finally!

Build 2-3 units max and laugh as the AI crashes n' burns into you. That or build 2-3 additional units and win the game by conquest.

Here is a Multiplayer tip free of charge: Don't go into a MP game as Bismark... unless you want to be the laughing stock for coming up against players with the most ridiculous Leader ability ever.

10. eoran

eoran Chieftain

Man... Do you know how many interviews are needed to make a sociological study of 50 million people? Maybe 500...

Perhaps the spectrum of this poll is not the best, but with the amount of people who have voted, the margin of error may not be greater than 15%.

11. Grimberht

Grimberht Chieftain

If you want some advice... i suggest that you like up to Sulla review (the link is somewhere in the CIV 5 tavern).. It has a 2 ou 3 pages worth of analysing of the game by one of the most respected Civlisation communauty contributor where he gives a few strategic advices that technicly give you all up the ENTIRE complexity behind the wonderful and highly RESTRICTIVE Civ 5. We even should rename it that way RestriCIV 1, a whole new franchise for dump players.

12. generalwar

generalwar Philosopher

Thanks for the link. I saw his previous review which wasn't much, but this looks better.

13. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Exactly. At least in Canada, when they do polls on certain issues, they use a sample size of about 1,000 to 1,500. They use this to represent the opinions and views of a nation of 34,000,000 people.

For example:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/830832

So, I think the poll has some merit. I'd agree that the poll is probably accurate within 10 to 15%.

On a side note, is it really true that Charon has never played cIV? That would make a lot of sense.

14. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

It's gotta be, would explain why he's convinced you could change civics on a whimp, and other outrageous claims about Civ IV.

Still, I don't want to just put him in the "newbies like civ V because they don't know the better Civ" box.

15. DopeJam

DopeJam Chieftain

You have to concider the fact that in this poll many people tend to defend what they payed for, not only civ 5, generally, many people do that and I dont know why :( I've seen than many times

16. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

Using this on-line calculator http://www.dimensionresearch.com/resources/calculators/conf_prop.html, a sample of 1000 showing a proportion of 50% has a 95% confidence interval of +/- 3.1 percentage points (not 3.1% of the 50%, a common error). The real value in the whole population is likely to lie between 46.9% and 53.1% ... if the sample is representative.

The issue with this poll is not statistical significance, which deals with random error, or sampling error, ideally in the context of random sampling. The issue is more with who does this sample represent ... and is this a biased sample from the perspective of representing the entire set of purchasers of Civ 5? The answer has to be yes (non-forum readers have no way of being included in this poll).

But I don't think that this has to be representative of all Civ 5 purchasers to be meaningful. This poll is saying that nearly half of folks on major fansite who cared to vote, and who presumably both love and understand the franchise, think Civ 5 is a step backward, rather than forward.

Now that may not be representative of all CivFanatics members either, as participation is voluntary and those unhappy may be over-represented. And it may only be a step from A+ to A- (is the game that bad in an absolute sense, or just in a relative sense ... exclusive of performance glitches and focusing on gameplay vision?), but we were expecting A+++.

But rather than argue about whether 47% is a majority (not of the whole sample, but it is the majority of those with an opinion), or try to change people's minds, or insult them for their opinions, energy would be better spent understanding in more detail the concerns of those who think the game has regressed, and how those could be addressed (potentially in ways that could be options, so everyone can have the Civ 5 gameplay they want) to make the game better.

With that in mind, sometime this weekend I expect to post a poll about whether Civ 5 needs to be "smartened up", allowing multiple choices among various areas where improvement may be needed (and the choice of "no, leave it alone" as well).

dV

17. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Fair enough. That would be a cheap cop out I think.

In fact, that would be as ridiculous an assumption as "DA HATERZ hate ciV becuz itz not cIV.5!!! Hurr hurr... ;)

18. Toady

Toady Chieftain

Personally i would refuse to be lenient to the "You can only compare it to Civ IV Vanilla" crowd. They deserve any shoehorning or labelling they get. :cool::lol:

19. Wixit

Wixit Chieftain

20. Penwa

Penwa Warlord

Erm, 47.19% is > 43.35% ergo a majority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.