Who is working on HOF attempts w/o threads?

superslug

Still hatin' on Khan
Hall of Fame Staff
I know that Moonsinger and myself are working on HOF games, and Darkness is keeping us posted on his here and there. I'm just curious, is anyone working on a game without maintaining a thread?

Just for the record, I'll use my "should I switch to democracy?" thread for keeping you guys posted on my progress from now on. Just don't expect too much, as I've shelved the game until after I've finished GOTM23...

i have two attempts going at this time. one on warlord and one on emperor. i have only played emperor 3-4 times and have only 1 win, so i'm sticking my neck out a little there.

Great news, Takeo, I hope everything goes well for you! I was starting to think it was just Moonsinger, Darkness and myself.

my emperor attempt is also with egypt. my warlord game is a little odd-- im going for a diplomatic victory as the ottomans.

Egypt is a well documented and established nation with a great UU if used properly!

Good luck Mazarin!

Trying out a deity with Chinese now. Year is still 1550BC and in good shape. Taking things very very slowly.

Originally posted by Qitai
Trying out a deity with Chinese now. Year is still 1550BC and in good shape. Taking things very very slowly.
My current and last games have been with the Chinese. I was hooked on the Ottoman Sipahi for the longest time, but given the defenders relative to the Rider's era, I'm starting to think it is the superior UU. It also comes earlier, meaning there's less AI to attack.

I am working on a HOF attempt at emperor as the Zulu on a standard map.

Originally I was going for all ways win in 2041, but I might need those extra turns just to make the list, based on last Friday's update. I suspect if I do make the list it will be short lived - I'll have to start another game.

Originally posted by zerksees
I am working on a HOF attempt at emperor as the Zulu on a standard map.

Originally I was going for all ways win in 2041, but I might need those extra turns just to make the list, based on last Friday's update. I suspect if I do make the list it will be short lived - I'll have to start another game.

I can see how cool it would be to be able to win all ways on one turn, but I think you're right, those extra turns can be very valuable score wise, especially if you're only a few tiles under the Domination limit...

@Darkness: SirPleb is in heat too huh?

[
Originally posted by superslug

I can see how cool it would be to be able to win all ways on one turn, but I think you're right, those extra turns can be very valuable score wise, especially if you're only a few tiles under the Domination limit...

Once I saw SirPleb had done this in a game, and I thought it demonstrated a great mastery of the game. This is my first attempt at it, and I wasn't thinking about the timing when I built the UN. In 2041 I would obviously miss the histograph victory. Oh well, since it's my 3rd ever emperor game and 9th ever game of Civ3, I guess a few mistakes are in order.

It's 1998 and I think I have 5700+ points. I am going to start micromanaging cities for happiness to see if that helps the score per turn. I am using standard map, continents, and moderate climate. Next time I will definitely go with milder climate to get more good tiles to build up the population.

Originally posted by Darkness
I just read in the strategy articles forum that sirpleb is also working on a HoF game....
Yup, me too, I've got an Ottoman Deity try started. I'm using the Palace/FP rank bug in this one. I've been playing it too quickly though, not sure I'll finish it. I'm at 500AD and going to try to re-jump my Palace soon. It is an interesting way to play. I'll keep going on it till I feel fully in control then decide whether to finish :)

I started a Chieftain HOOF run a few days ago. I'm at 640AD, score currently 980, with 439 workers, researching replaceable parts (I can research it in 4 at 50% science setting). My core are building muskets that are basically being disbanded into out lying areas to speed construction as I spread out. I'm almost 2/3 the way to the area domination with 2391 of 3770 tiles. 1134 citizens that are 99% happy citizens, only new cities that are not yet connected to the grid are not happy.

Even though my capitol is way off to the side of the continent, it has worked out not so bad. I did a 5/9/13/17 RCP which was really less than a half full circle, which allows my FP to make a pretty far reaching second core. I knew that on this level that Great Leaders would be pretty rare since there was little the AI would really do and so hand build every wonder that I have. Actually I have not 1 Great Leader yet anyway. I used the Pyramids and Colossus to trigger my GA in 570BC shortly after I had made the transition to Republic.

I guess my big question now will be if I will switch to democracy, I'd have to go back and research PP and Democracy but it would give a slight boost to my workers (which should save me about 15 game turns of worker actions meaning I would be able to pile my workers back into my cities 15 turns earlier) and give me less corruption for about 350 turns. However, I could make it to the modern age at about 1000AD if I don't. Seems to me that on Chieftain the switch is limited to 4 turns of anarchy, this decision will likely give me a few more grey hairs.

I am planning on going democracy since I intent to go to the extreme in using the rank corruption exploit. Under that condition, Democracy would be a powerful corruption reducing agent since it has 66% of republic's distance corruption.

hi all, first post in a long time for me. i still play civ3 from time to time and have been playing quite a bit lately. :) civ3 rules!

all of my games are hof attempts ... i don't reload, etc. the thing is that i also am particular about challenging myself and with map size and opponents, so i always play on huge and with 15 opponents. every game i've ever played of civ3, in fact, outside of the tutorial, has been huge/16 civs. i just really enjoy the dynamics you get between so many nations.

i also only play on monarch. it's the sweet spot for my skill/enjoyment. regent is too easy and emperor is just bogus. while i do get up there in score sometimes, i have NO IDEA how you guys get those dang high scores@!!!! as an example, my last game finished a few days ago was a persia / huge / 16 civs / continents / 60 percent water / 4 billion years / temperate game that ended with a space race win around 1850 and my final score was 5100+. i barely beat out italy (er rome) in the space race with 10 to 9 parts built, and i couldn't just attack rome because my armies were on the other continent.

right now i have an ottomans game that is going kind of well. its mid-19th century and the score is about 3750, and i am 1 turn away from learning how to make tanks. i have almost taken over all of my continent (under communism) and the other, larger continent is split about equally between france, celts, and russia. japan, england, korea, india, and zululand only have a few cities left.

still, i have no idea what my final score might be under this game. i haven't built a FP yet, and i have 6 or 7 armies waiting for tanks. so i could load up tank armies on transports and actually take over one of the other countries with allies, then destroy the other 2 to prevent them from making the space ship and milk it out until 2050. that's the plan, anyway.

so, how do you guys get these giant scores? do you normally play pangea? i used to try playing pangea as germany, and while i would be able to knock out and assimilate 2 or 3 counties easily, and the tech race would go very fast, i found it very hard to get past that point because the other countries would get so strong. how do you prevent countries from making the space ship besdies just destroying them? and, is it just me, or in a huge world with tons of countries, is communism incredibly powerful, or what? under republic, you have a huge science advantage because of cash, but your conquered cities have garbage for production. but under communism, even cities thousands of miles from your capital can crank out a factory in no time. i love it, but it just seems that republic should be stronger than it is ....

blah. i'll tell you guys how i do in the ottomons game. actually i renamed us, i am "blotto otto of the ottomaniacs" . . .

:beer:

Pangaea/huge/5 billion/warm/wet do seem to be the most common settings on HOF attempts. What I generally see as common is expanding ruthlessly until you hit the Domination limit which you can check using MapStat. This expansion includes wiping out all the AI, although players differ on conquest vs razing/resettling. Once that is accomplished, you can use not only the most space possible, but the best space and milk milk milk away...

Originally posted by superslug
Pangaea/huge/5 billion/warm/wet do seem to be the most common settings on HOF attempts. What I generally see as common is expanding ruthlessly until you hit the Domination limit which you can check using MapStat. This expansion includes wiping out all the AI

Yeah, that's the map settings I use too, as well as the expansion strategy... ;)

For my next attempt I will be switching to warm/wet/5 billion, but I will probably stay on standard map. I micromanage a lot and I want to finish the game in 100 hours or so. It takes a long time for me to have that much spare time.

I am not looking for top score, just mid-pack somewhere.

Top Bottom