1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is working on HOF attempts w/o threads?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by superslug, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Svar

Svar Chieftain

I use OCP for permanent cities and build about 2.7 temporary cities for every permanent one. The permanent cities have all the infrastructure needed to reach as large as a 42 population. The temporary cities only build units so unless they are next to fresh water they only grow to size 6 but a size 12 city even in a totally corrupt area can generate 18 science beakers when you get to steam power if there are 6 grassland tiles around. Once the permanent cities are maxed out on population I start removing the citizens from the temporary cities and abandonding them. This frees up the city center tile to be used by the permanent city to generate another happy citizen for 2 more score points.

Coast tiles count for domination limit but sea tiles don't. Every happy citizen in your cities counts for score no matter where they are working.

2. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

Please pardon my ignorance, svar...there are so many obbreviations, cant remember them all. What does OCP stand for ? OCC ?

You mean to tell me.. when u end a milker game, you only have HUGE cities and you have razed all the cities that occupy food tiles for larger cities ?

3. blindside

blindside formerly god

OCP = Optimal City placement. I believe its the method of placing cities 4 squares from the next one.

OCC = One City Challenge. I dont think this has anything to do with HOF but people play with OCC to give themselves a challenge. They only have one city throughout the game.

4. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

5. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

I am wondering about when the timelimit is up for getting that Early Victory bonus.
    It crossed my mind that maybe if I won the game early enough, I didnt have to milk the game for a decent score. In mu current game I am at 1000 AD. Can I still get an early victory bonus ? I have more than 66 % of the populous. just need a few more % of territory to grasp the domination victory. Should I milk it or not ?
    (Standard size monarchy)

6. Svar

Svar Chieftain

Yes, that is what I do. Other players (who score better than I do BTW) use different strategies.

7. blindside

blindside formerly god

If you want to get a big early victory bonus you have to do it back in the BC times. Look at DaveMcW and boogaboo's games. They have finished their games by 3000 BC. You'll have to play a tiny map to do it so quickly. At 1000 AD I would definetly milk it. However you've played a standard sized map so in the end the score won't be as high as the milked games on huge maps.

The two common styles are tiny map and early victory (usually with aztecs) or huge maps with milking to 2050 AD.

8. blindside

blindside formerly god

Heres my current regent game. I have some more fighting to do but it gets tiresome. My biggest fault is my impatience. I hadn't touched this game in week but I'm getting back to it, averaging 3-4 turns per hour. This is what happened to my monstrous monarch game some years ago. I could have ended with a great score but after pretty much beating all the civs my intersest wanes. But this time I'll keep going at it.

I don't know how many cities I have but I imagine it must be close to the maximum limit. Still 600 tiles away from domination limit so I have space to expand. Iroqious, Aztec, Egypt, Germany, Carthage and Greece have all be destroyed. I'm fighting the French right now. I've burnt down some of their cities and the Romans seem to be fighting them also. My next target it Rome, but I think I'll wait 6 more turns and upgrade my army of knights to cavalry and run over the Romans (who don't even have saltpeter! I stole it from them :lol: ). The Romans are fighint the French too and have taken a couple of cities, and I got a chance to see what type of units they have. No saltpeter, but they have a knight, longbowman, medieval infantry mix. I'm considering destroying this offensive force in France with a suprise attack. It would destroy their more dangerous offensive units (knights) and let me focus on Rome with fear of a few longbowman and newly produced knights.

I think I should have enough knights to destroy the French because I'm begginning to send newly produced units to the Roman line, joining the main army that just ravaged Greece.

My score is around 4100. I haven't gotten to the halfway point of the game but my score per turn is increasing (its at about 60) so the I expect to score atleast 12000 points at this rate. Ofcourse the score should increase when I build more aqueducts and eventually hospitals and more wonders so I hope to break the 20,000 mark.

Attached Files:

9. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

That's an impressive splotch of blue for 1090ad! If you kill them all but one town, you can choose the terrain of your choice and have a very profitable milk session!

10. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

I am currently playing the Monarch level, huge map, pangea, u know what else.

Playing as the aztecs, I have conquered 50 % of the world, I have 70 % of world population, score rate is 61 p/t now that I just made peace with all for a momentary break to reposition my forces. Expecting to reach 65 % of territory soon, it is 1200 AD and I look at a score for 22.000 with this rate.

Dunno how much I can make it increase. I think I am a little backward in the science department cus I delayed education so that I would not lose ToA. it is wonderful together with pyramids to increase pop fast and to expand the culture and get more territory fast.

Not sure now wether I should get my 65 % of the map or start focusing on the science again. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

11. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

I started yesterday, so I am in a hurry as usual !!!

12. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

OK.. I am now at 76 p/t. Still not got 65 % territory, but getting there shortly. 5876 points, 284 turns left, getting steam power now and I expect rapid growth in my cities as I have invested quite a bit into workers. I left Babylon untouched for now, I was hoping they would research in parallel with me so we could exchange techs, (their lives depend on it) hurrying for sanitation.
    The zulus have pissed me off enough and it was with delight I took their bach cathedral... heeeeeheeeeee. Now , hoping to really boost my p/t ratio.
    at the moment I am looking at 27450 points in the end.. I know points are likely to drop closer to the end though :(

13. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

DONE ! ready for miliking.. I chose to stay with the Babylonians intact. They are exploring the Nationalism side of the tech tree, and I went for medicine asf. I currently have a 82 p/t ratio. Schedule, 29000 roundabout. Hospitals are being rushbuilt, however I must wait for some turns of anarchy as I just changed to Democracy.

The year is 1400 AD, 7000 score, Half way now, 270 rounds left exactly.

WILL IT HOLD ??

14. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

Anarchy finally over.. Democracy, rushbuilding hospitals, 88 p/t.
    Schedule says 31000 points in 2050...
    brrrrrrrrrr.. gonna be exciting

15. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

OK.. now the going gets tougher. Down to 78-79 pts pr turn and have to really struggle to maintain it. I HATE MICROMANAGEMENT. I sure hope that CIV 4 will allow easier MM handling !!!!!!! :aargh:

16. thefrenchzulu

thefrenchzulu Chieftain

I have finally started my first HOF SID attempt. Actually my second. My first unfortunately was with patch 1.2 which doesn't seem to be allowed. Anyway, I was losing. There is no way I can stop the Egyptians of achieving a cultural victory and they have rubber. Bummer.

My second, I started using Moonsingers mapfinding utility. Three cows, with fourth close by, unfortunately it's on plains, so only one 4 turn factory and a 5 turn factory.

I started, playing on similar lines as SirPleb. Researched writing and went for phylosophy. My northern border is all swamp, so I expanding south.

Four turns before discovering phylosophy I notice a stack of Mayan swordsmen moving my way. They haven't met the Zulu or the Incas and it is clear where the are heading. I have a few spearmen, but there is no way I'm going to stop them. They declared war and took my new luxury city, raised it, and took another city. Basically fame over. I dont even have a barracks yet!

I decide to continuou play, just to see whether I get phylosophy first, changing all cities to regular spearman production.

I get phylosophy first and this kills me. I get two scientific leaders!!! One for literacy as well. What a bummer. Two, the same turn. Never seen that before and I'm now considering pushing on. I rushed the Great Library and have an extra leader!

I might even try to finish this one...

17. superslug

@ConanConQ: Do you have .sav I could look at? I'm very very curious...

@thefrenchzulu: The double SGL is a great stroke of luck. I'll be interested in seeing what happens...

18. zerksees

zerksees in remission

zerksees has another HOF entry.

I just submitted it - Russia small map space ship win on C3C 1.15b monarch level. I hope to getting to post some detail on it later. Look out I scored 3469 - s/b #1 for small map spaceship victory. :p Better yet it is the only entry for spaceship on small map.

It was not my best game, but I was learning C3C and filling empty spots in the HOF. I wanted diplomacy but the rampaging Chinese killed off the last other rival before I was strong enough to stop them. I was surprised I could get 4 or 5 turn techs at the end on a small map.

BTW no help from mapfinder on this one.

I think my next attempt will be C3C emperor small map. I want the "quick change" goverment from religious and I like industrious, so it looks like I might try Egypt this time. I need to try out the different govs on small map to see which is best at the various phases of the game.

I hope Aeson updates the HOF soon...

edit 4/26 - oops this was tiny map. I corrected and resubmitted to the HOF

19. superslug

Congratulations, zerksees! [dance] :band: [dance]

20. denyd

denyd Emperor

I'm fooling around a bit between GOTM & SG's to try for a Huge Map HOF score. I've had a couple of different attempts trying to find combinations that I like. Using PTW 1.27 trying regent, monarch & emperor, with 8 non-expanionist opponents. So far, it's an expanionist tribe on a continents world. I've tried Panagea (didn't like that as the AI's swapped techs at too fast a pace in the middle & industrial ages) and I'm now playing continents. I tried the Iroquois first, but the Mounted Warrior age came and went so fast it was a waste, then Russia thinking the scientific pop would help a lot. I liked the cheaper libraries, but workers took forever to get anything done. Now tryiing with the Americans. Scouts get me through the AA very quickly with a 3-4 tech lead and my workers are able to get cities improved and connected quickly. The lack of a quality UU hasn't been a problem. I'm trying to delay my Golden Age to the late Industrial Age using Hoover as the ignitor. I've built the Colossus as half of the wonder requirement and am in the process of building Sun Tzu & Leo's to upgrade my small horseman army to cavalry for my romp through Korea, India & Babylon. That would put me in command of a very large island with 5 opponents left (currently unmet). So far no wars, building settlers, workers, libraries, marketplaces and the occaisional temple & barracks, with spearmen for defense & garrison (in Monarchy, no Republic yet) and horsemen for future upgrading. Currently even on tech with Korea and India (Hammurabi is back a couple) and researching Gunpowder.

The key to pursuing this will be time and what's happening on the other islands.