1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is working on HOF attempts w/o threads?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by superslug, Sep 12, 2003.

1. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

I have several HoF games going.. I especially find the Standard Size maps fun, cus they dont take too long and (blowing my own horn) I am pretty good at it. Finishing an Emperor level game tomorrow I hope and definately busting the record held by gormdragan (8454), probably scoring close to 11000.
    I just hope that my 1.22 version wont be a problem :eek:

2. binyo66

binyo66 King

Do we need to make a thread for HOF attemp? I'm going to try, but it seems the HOF score is very high, it would make me no choice except Huge Map with milking :D, and avoiding opening thread :D

3. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

No, you don't have to...

It's just something some of us like to do to keep the others updated on our progress... :)

4. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

I just finished my Ottoman Standard Emperor game. Final score 12836, should hold to first place by far for standard map sizes :D

5. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

My Huge monarch game is going well... for now I maintain 80 p/t, should put me up at about 29000 points.

However... I seem to have lost my startlocation saving. Does this mean that I can forget about posting the endresult on the HoF ? If so, I will discontinue and go cry :cry:

6. binyo66

binyo66 King

@conan
    How u do that on monarch? What setting u have? What is your score before 10AD? Too many questions :D

7. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

hahaha... asking shouldnt hurt anybody..

lets see, if I remember, I probably dont.. my score at 10AD must have been about 2000, or maybe even less.. about 30 p/t, steadily climbing due to heavy population growth as well as expansion.

If you want a good score, getting your 65% of the land area quickly is important. if you cant accomplish this, forget about a HoF score. This is because your points per turn (p/t) ius divided with a greater number for each turn u play. closer to the end, your p/t is likely to drop, so the faster you build-increase pop, gather territory- the better.

I play as Aztecs, they are militaristic and agricultural, suits me perfect. nice growth in the beginnig, nice units to explore and to find key attack points. And for heavens sake... always get the TOA (temple of arthemis) along with the pyramids if possible. I was cheering out loud when I saw my neighbouring civ finishing the TOA. It meant it would be soon be mine. I never build other than military units, and with these units I always conquer the wonders instead of using hundreds of shields on making wonders. Look at it this way, making military units is the same as building wonders.. cus they have the power to GRAB them. NEVER build a single wonder before you pass over to the middle ages. Think about building 1 or 2, Leonardos pizza hut is good, if not essential, to upgrade your horses to cavalry. At the point I have researched cavalry, the world is mine. Nothing will stop me unless there is a powerfaliure. So.. screw everything on the tech-tree except going for cavalry.

I now told u all u need to know in order to be able to compete on the HoF.

Hope to see your name there right below mine in the future :D

happy hunting

8. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

Settings, Pangea, 60 % water, wet, Huge map

9. Cartouche Bee

Cartouche Bee Appropriations Consultant

I thought I'd turn up the juice a bit on the PTW Chieftain HOF score so...

At 500AD the Democracy of the Persians are researching Combustion in 4 turns. I should be able to get to modern age in 20 turns (but still need sanitation so may detour 4 turns for that.) Although expansionist civs get a significantly better start I deduced that the scientific trait was more valuable in the long run.

1430 points going up 39 points per turn.

420 cities; currently 165 workers but I peaked at 570 workers in 400AD.

This map does not have a high domination limit but I guess the next step is to try the map generator, this game will serve a tune-up. ;)

10. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Impressive research pace! :)
    Are you already joining the workers into the cities because the land is fully improved? If that's the case, that's very impressive, and then I think I won't hold the no.1 spot on chieftain for long, after you've found a high domination limit map...

11. ConanConQ

ConanConQ Mischieftain

How do you figure out the domination limit on a map ?

12. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

You DON'T!

Run MapStat or MapFinder.....it'll figure it out for you.

But, in case you're a Purist who doesn't believe in using utility programs or calculators or computers........OOOOPS!:

Domination Limit = Number Of Land Tiles + Coast Tiles
    (viz. All tiles except Sea + Ocean)......

..........Take this total and multiply by 2/3 for Civ or PTW; 66% for C3C.
    Voila, the answer is the Domination Limit! :)

Philosophical P.s.: I must confess that MapStat is as close to an "allowable" cheat as it gets........because there is NO way you can tell from a start position in Civ or PTW what the Domination Limit is!.......However, I believe this was an "oversight" by Firaxis...........who then effectively included the DL data from the game start in C3C (F8 Key).......so now everyone's Happy! :)

13. Cartouche Bee

Cartouche Bee Appropriations Consultant

Yes, all my current land is fully developed, but I'm not yet at the domination limit. The pace of this game is much higher than my last, so I don't think I need a higher domination limit to join you in the 10000 club. :)

14. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

15. Baalzebul

Baalzebul Warlord

I was trying a game at emperor. Everthing was going fine till I accidentally switched to monarchy instead of communism. So I had to restart from 5 turns before and will not submit the game.

16. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

That is perhaps a "Typographical" error. I would not scrap the HOF game without requesting a Ruling from the Chief Arbitrator, Aeson.

While it is technically a restart, I don't see any more advantage in a restart over say an accidental Domination Victory! (Assuming you can restart from the [Auto]Save prior to the Government-Switch-Decision!?)

Honor is still A major factor in HOF games! :)

.....AND, it sounds like you have a good dose of Honor already ingrained! :goodjob:

17. Charis

Charis Realms Beyond

CB,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I need to get in touch with Cartouche Bee asap - I don't have your email and so sent a PM. So I wanted to pop in here and mention this :p

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program...
    (except CB of course, he needs to check his PM :) )

Thanks,
    Charis

18. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

You don't really need his email, do you? Click on the email link on his profile page. It'll dispatch an email from the CFC server identifying the poster who sends it...

19. Charis

Charis Realms Beyond

superslug,

Thanks for the tip, but I tried that. He's chosen to disable
    that option to be e-mailed via this forum. Smart guy! Look at
    the variant scum who are trying to contact him, after all! :p

Charis

20. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Interesting. I thought if email was disabled the button didn't show. I guess it just doesn't show up on thread posts.

Learn something new every day.