Whoa, never noticed this new diplo request!

For the religion, I found that refusing to Open Borders can be a strong deterrent against missionaries. Widening your culture borders and getting Great Wall is a great response to one of those zealous folks.

I thought using Open Borders might facilitate more conversion, but I really want to get a diplo bonus for requesting them to send missionaries.

I also wonder, if you have a DoF with the person requesting, won't they suffer a diplo hit with everyone if they denounce you in return for refusing to denounce back?

Gotta get off work to test these out...

For the religion, I found that refusing to Open Borders can be a strong deterrent against missionaries. Widening your culture borders and getting Great Wall is a great response to one of those zealous folks.

I thought using Open Borders might facilitate more conversion, but I really want to get a diplo bonus for requesting them to send missionaries.

I also wonder, if you have a DoF with the person requesting, won't they suffer a diplo hit with everyone if they denounce you in return for refusing to denounce back?

Gotta get off work to test these out...

No idea.

I know, though, that you get a hit for Denouncing someone you had a DOF with. never noticed that before. Might`ve been when I was friends with Attila because he asked it, then I changed my mind and denounced him. But he deserves it. He`s a backstabbing, lying war monger!

This has been discussed earlier on this forum. One of the repliers said (off my memory) that you can tell them to stop converting but the problem is, you can't tell them to start converting. What if you didn't found a religion and want Pagodas from your neighbor country so bad?

Couldn't you get a trade route established that brings in pressure from the religion you wanted? Or if you didn't mind the diplo hit you could probably steal one of his missionaries?

I've gotten this several times.

1 Times where I was asked to denounce a pariah I followed through.

2 Times where I was asked to break a friendship bloc up which I chose to not denounce cuz I decided that I liked the other guy better than the one asking me to denounce and got myself denounced.

3 Look at number 2 but didn't get denounced, this happened once.

It's one of new diplomatic features added in gods n kings. It's one of the rare ways where whole world singing kumbaya gets broken up and become war torn. Think the assassination that started off WW1 and you got it.

It depends on what era and how much of the world has been explored will determine the potency of this diplomatic option. The later the better it is.

Couldn't you get a trade route established that brings in pressure from the religion you wanted? Or if you didn't mind the diplo hit you could probably steal one of his missionaries?

AI: "You stole my missionary so you could spread MY religion to YOUR cities?!?! May the gods have mercy as the spiritual onslaught of my missionaries are unleashed upon thee!"

You: *Sniff* Thanks braah!

I've gotten this several times.

3 Look at number 2 but didn't get denounced, this happened once.

Ah, so there is a chance he won`t insta-denounce you if you don`t do it. that`s good to know.

However, I feel the insta-denouncement as it is, is a little too quick and overly harsh. I was getting on with one CIv for ages, trading, agreeing, I refuse one request for a denouncement (he says it like a request too, not a demand) and he goes berserk, cancels our allied friendship and sets off a whole chain of badness.

That`s a like a friend you knew for years asking you to agree that Elvis Presley was a bad singer and because you disagree, he stops being a friend, tells everyone else not to be your friend and tries to start a whole neighbourhood feud! In other words, the AI`s actions are of a slightly unhinged nutter!

Lol Socractus, that's a bit too...trivial.

In truth, it's more like your friend is a cool crew hipster, then this super political nerd guy joins the group. The rest of your friends are cool crew hipsters too and are friendly. After awhile, they tire of this super political nerd friend and decide they dont want to hang coz hes crazy. They ask you to join in on kicking him out, but you say no. All of a sudden, your friends decide that you must be a secret super political nerd sympathizer since no one in their right minds at school would be friends with super political nerd scum! Hence, everyone kicks you out with your creepy super political nerd lover.

Was gonna use Egypt...but...ya...

I've had it a number of times and in G & K if I refused I would always be slammed by the requesting Civ.

In BNW however, I have found that it is not always a loss of friendship. Maybe a coincidence, maybe a change.

Another rare one:

A hostile AI demands gold from you, if you refuse he denounces you or declares war (if I remember correctly, haven't had it for a while).

While playing G&K, I once got the demand to denounce someone. I was playing the mod (scenario?) called 1900, so I wasn't sure if that demand was unique to the mod. But if such a demand is in the unmodded version of BNW, it must have existed in G&K as well.

I wonder if the demand is made randomly, or if specific conditions make it more likely. In the game I encountered it, I had been chain denounced by about half the world and was worried about the other half joining in. My only friend belonged to a different ideology, and I was trying to keep him happy while at the same time I was wooing the neutral countries. That was when my only friend demanded, as the price of our friendship (or words along those lines) that I denounce one of the countries which had been neutral towards me.

Sigh.

I wonder if a player is in a difficult diplomatic situation, is there in increased likelihood of getting the demand to denounce?

Another rare one:

A hostile AI demands gold from you, if you refuse he denounces you or declares war (if I remember correctly, haven't had it for a while).

I got that once from Alexander, when I was a noob in this game and didn't know he was a pr***.

Currently in my game Ethiopia stole my Desert Folklore so I threw my religion program out of the window. Pacal beelined to Theology and spammed religious Wonders (including Stonehenge). Casimir is your typical Piety civ. These three happen to be my neighbors :crazyeye:

Does the AI know how to synergize beliefs? I think so, Ethiopian religion has Monastery, Mosque follower beliefs and Sacred Site reformation belief. Mayan one has Pagodas. Casimir has the crap religion my Inquisitors are hunting down. Pacal and Selassie are fiercely trying to convert that city I settled next to their borders. Casimir joins the party... it was hilarious when I saw 2 Buddhist missionaries, 1 Orthodox and 1 Catholic Prophets stationed on a single city.
The problem is, I have saved enough Faith to buy a Pagoda, but Selassie and Casimir convert the city away before I can even buy it the next turn! Pacal nearly gave up right now! :mad: I have another city with Buddhist pressure he totally could spread religion to. Why can't you tell your lady you love her... I mean your targets to believe in your god! "Yo, come start converting" option would be a lot more convenient.

It's an awesome coincidence how, I posted a certain reply on a forum and the next day I get a game with a related material.

Lol Socractus, that's a bit too...trivial.

In truth, it's more like your friend is a cool crew hipster, then this super political nerd guy joins the group. The rest of your friends are cool crew hipsters too and are friendly. After awhile, they tire of this super political nerd friend and decide they dont want to hang coz hes crazy. They ask you to join in on kicking him out, but you say no. All of a sudden, your friends decide that you must be a secret super political nerd sympathizer since no one in their right minds at school would be friends with super political nerd scum! Hence, everyone kicks you out with your creepy super political nerd lover.

Was gonna use Egypt...but...ya...

I guess that`s a better analogy. :)

While playing G&K, I once got the demand to denounce someone. I was playing the mod (scenario?) called 1900, so I wasn't sure if that demand was unique to the mod. But if such a demand is in the unmodded version of BNW, it must have existed in G&K as well.

I wonder if the demand is made randomly, or if specific conditions make it more likely. In the game I encountered it, I had been chain denounced by about half the world and was worried about the other half joining in. My only friend belonged to a different ideology, and I was trying to keep him happy while at the same time I was wooing the neutral countries. That was when my only friend demanded, as the price of our friendship (or words along those lines) that I denounce one of the countries which had been neutral towards me.

Sigh.

I wonder if a player is in a difficult diplomatic situation, is there in increased likelihood of getting the demand to denounce?

I never had this in G&K and I played that quite a lot. first time BNW. I dunno what kicks it off, but it seems to happen if you`re doing really, really well with a Civ, but not with most others. If you then say `No` he hates you and seems to set off a chain reaction of hate.

The thing is, the AI takes denouncements very seriously. It`s not something I like to do willy nilly. Even if they denounce me, I tend NOT to denounce back (to try and keep the peace). I could agree with a friend just to agree, but that might make things just as bad as if I don`t agree. Sigh...Puts a guy between a rock and a hard place. All fun and games, though.:goodjob:

You can only ask to stop spreading religion AFTER they have spread it. You can't pre-empt them when you see their missionary or prophet entering your territory.

I've been on the back end of this where a friend denounced me for no reason. I simply restored embassies, open borders, and were best friends for many turns after. Point is dont take every denunciation of YOU at face value. Sometimes the AI is coerced.

This rare diplomatic event reminds me of how friendly demands worked in vanilla.

The AI asks you for a sum of gold or a luxury because "their empire is struggling and they need some support".

You accept, they get a free deal, but you decline, then it's an instant penalty for "refusing to offer help when declaring friendship".

Another rare one:

I've seen someone post an image of this event before. It involved Catherine and utilized this exact format.

That is a really annoying event. I remember one game I had as Denmark where, suddenly, nearly all my friends gave me this event, and since I said no each time, I suddenly had a lot of ex-friends who backstabbed me for a very lame reason. I think it would be better if they just removed this event from the game, or at least the second part of it.

I don't think they always denounce you if you day no. I think they should reduce the consequences for saying no, but make the request far more common. I also think the human should be able to make the same request.

Yeah, I've had plenty of times where I've said no and they walked away just a little peeved.

I think the request-denounce combo is about as rare as the demand-war combo you can get from the AI.

Top Bottom