1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whole Empire challenge

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Lokolus, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Maucat

Maucat Chieftain

Update:
    1709- Founded colonies in south and north America and started the invasion of Spain, strong economy, strong research and sufficient stability...Vassals Kmher, Ethyope, Egypt, Malì.

2. Lokolus

Lokolus Retired...

A viceroy game?

3. wr4th

wr4th Warlord

Did rome again on monarch level. finished the empire with conquering carthage at around 300AD. Took the next few turns for the buildings requirements of the uhv. Let's see how much of my empire i can keep through the middle ages.
    p.s. With Greece founding Athenai and Byzantinum now its a bit easier.

Attached Files:

4. mushyman

mushyman Warlord

Wow, very impressive! You got the Great Wall I see, that must have been invaluable keeping out those pesky Russian Horse Archers ;)

5. s09119

s09119 Chieftain

How do you take screenshots again? I've taken almost all of historical China and a good chunk of India, and I'd like to show that, if I can.

6. mushyman

mushyman Warlord

Hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard (this saves a copy of your screen to the Clipboard). Alt-Tab out of Civ and paste the screenshot into Paint (or similar). Then just save it as a .jpeg and there you go, ready to upload!

7. wr4th

wr4th Warlord

Ok, i finished my roman game. I decided to head east and took arabia after their spawn. Also took over Babylon and Persia. In the end i had to pull of another golden age to keep me from collapsing. I also checked the dates in the replay. I took carthage and colonised spain in 170AD but it took me until 330AD to found the missing town in jugoslawia.
    Oh and Augustus Caesar has obviously the leadership abilities of Augustus Caesar :D

Attached Files:

8. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

Awesome! :goodjob:

9. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

OK, here's my attempt at a Spanish empire. Obviously if I didn't go for a fully Spanish USA I could have gotten Philippines and Congo. At the end I had to switch to police state and nationhood to buff my collapsing stability to unstable. (Was super solid until the last 10 moves when I sent 8 settlers out and conquered some independent cities in North America).
    Note that Egypt, Rome, Khmer, India and Mali (who collapsed) are my vassals, so yes, I did have my Italian possessions. If I only had to nerve to found a Corsican city or the Azores...

Attached Files:

10. Lokolus

Lokolus Retired...

I see that you squatted Portugal...

11. wolfigor

wolfigor Emperor

WONDERFUL!
    You raised the bar for this type of challenge... compliments.

12. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

Yeah, at the end I was trying to recreate (at least the American part) of the combined Spanish/Portuguese empire (which did exist for a while when they were under one crown).

13. wr4th

wr4th Warlord

Ok, here comes the next one. The spanish empire (monarch), 1700AD 2/3 UHV conditions and all historical territory except the small colony in west Africa which i cant settle until Biology. I did not squat Portugal and also did no harm to the other europeans, except the dutch to represent the spanish Belgium.

Fought a quick war in 1600AD over Spanish-Sahara because Portugal beat me to it. Declared war in 1650 on England and had to raze New York twice (and another settler is already in place). In 1680 Declared on France and razed all their colonies in Quebec and Guyana. Those last wars were extremely close, because i'm behind in tech and fighting with muskets and conquistadors against riflemen and cavalry, just my numbers turned it into my favor. France did also found 2 more cities during the war in addition to the 3 existing in Quebec, but he didn't manage to have them all defended, so i could take some for free.

In Europe i hope i can hold of France from Spain, but i think i will lose Amsterdam for sure within the next few turns.

Spoiler :

Update
    I managed to make peace short after 1700AD but when a congress came around 1730 it started all over again. In the end i managed to keep all my cities and even vassalized Mali and China to boost my score. Still it was not my highest spain score, but its a lot more challanging than killing off France and Englang right away.

Attached Files:

14. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

Very nice wr4th. I see you founded almost every city in place and kept all the Incan/Aztec cities (despite some of them not being so good). Could have conquered Mbanza Kongo which would be complete. What was your stability before 1700 (with all the conquering and founding cities without courthouses) and after the GA has worn off?

15. wr4th

wr4th Warlord

I could have taken Mbanza Kongo easily but i think its to far south to be fitting.
    My Stability was shaky/unstable short before the GA. But afterwards the 2 vassals and the fact that i finished all courthouses brought me back to stable. My economy was 5 stars and expansion always 1 :)
    Only during the last 20 years when i had wars again due to congress i became shaky again.

16. wr4th

wr4th Warlord

Here is my try for Alexanders Empire. Founded Korinthos and Ephesos for the higher base production and filled in Pella later just to make it a real Macedonian Empire.
    Sent the galley with phalanxes to Egypt which only had warriors. waited for Memphis to grow to pop 2, then took Egypt. Also waited for Hatusas to grow and took Tyros and Hierousalem with the help of some fresh phalanxes. Babylon was a pain and it slowed me down a lot with its axemen and archers which have +50% vs melee. But Persia decided to help out and suicided some troops to weaken Babilis defenses.
    Few turns of recovery and then finally took Persia, but obviously i was two turns to slow :(

Note that this was done on monarch unlike the previous try posted by Wessel (which is obviously viceroi from the techs), so i basically only teched iron working and then the other worker techs. I gave me calendar in the worldbuilder to check the date but of course did not use any dye. Actually the total lack of happiness resources makes whipping a pain.

Maybe i'll try again some time, but i think this was already a pretty lucky game.

Attached Files:

17. s09119

s09119 Chieftain

Okay, here's what I have of China as of the mid-1400s. Mind you, I once controlled a good chunk of Mongolia too, but their damn spawn robbed me of them... but they're such helpful trading partners, I can't bring myself to just kill them!

Khmer is my vassal, by the way.

The first pic is of just the empire itself, and the second one includes the cultural boundaries.

18. xmen510

xmen510 Emperor

I don't know how you guys do it. I lose 90% of the fights I am in. No matter what unit I use against whatever unit I fight, I mostly lose. I would never be able to get an empire like that. In fact, I once had a warrior (with no promotions) defeat 5 of my Praetorians. Sucked greatly.

19. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

If you want to see cultural boundaries, you can just click the culture icon when you are looking at the globe view.

20. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

@wr4th how do you get the number of turns for construction to shop up on the city's bar thingy like that?