Why are your turns taking so long?

My impression is that turn time is faster than Civ IV. Also, it's a great addition that you can look around on the map while waiting for the next turn.

I remember turn times of 20 minutes on ultra huge maps in Civ III. That was agonizing :)

Wait till you get the full game and get larger maps with more units in late periods of the game.

Don't be judging performance on a standard size map with only 100 turns.

I'm doing a marathon game with a huge map and the turns are taking a while.

- Windows 7
- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q9300 (2.5GHz)
- 4GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (4x1024)
- 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT [2 DVI, HDMI adapter]

Do I need to upgrade my rig? I've actually upgraded each computer based on the new Civ games being too slow (really...Civ 3 and 4 caused me to say "my computer is too slow" and I bought a new one)
It's actually an upgradeable computer this time, so I can add RAM or something else without plunking down $2,000 for a new machine.

Anyone managed to get a benchmark output log file? I have run benchmarks but I cant find the log file... (if you dont know about the benchmarks there is a .doc file in your civ 5 installation folder)

Anyone managed to get a benchmark output log file? I have run benchmarks but I cant find the log file... (if you dont know about the benchmarks there is a .doc file in your civ 5 installation folder)

The leaderhead benchmark works for me and outputs logs, but the live gameplay one just sat without any action for about 4 minutes before I killed the process.

I7 930, 6G RAM, ATI 5570, Win7-64 bit. I'm getting utterly smooth performance. It's sexy.

Normal sized continents map at normal speed.

Turn times are 1-3 seconds early and probably 6-10 seconds (guestimating, haven't counted it) by industrial/modern. (Vs Civ IV where early game barely has noticeable turn times and even by late game it's 1-2 seconds.)

Doesn't bother me - the AI is thinking, which is what it should be doing.

Now if they could just get the AI to think about combat a little better...it'd be heavenly. My only real complaint so far is that the tactical combat AI isn't all that great.

It's the huge map that's doing it. Compared to the standard in which early era turns are instant, the huge map can easily take 4-5 seconds on a mid-high end pc.

There's also a lot of writing to the hard drive, though that might be a lack of memory (2 of my 4 sticks broke recently). I'll try out another 2gb from my 2nd pc later to see if that helps any. Also, check you have plenty of disk space.

Core i7-920, 6GB DDR3, ATI 5770. Playing on a standard sized continental map in the Modern era, turns are taking ~4-6 seconds. But then again all AIs have been eliminated except for one extremely large English empire.

Like others have mentioned, I'm not seeing my CPU usage go up much at all--~15% or so, spread fairly evenly across all 8 threads.

Overall I have no performance complaints so far, but we'll see how it handles on a Huge map with many more AIs.

The game is definitely slow for me too. I was used to that in modern era Civ IV, but even after 50 turns the turns are taking 10 seconds a piece if no more to process in Civ V.

I honestly don't think its the AI thinking, it honestly feels like the other empires units in the fog of war are physically moving around and its taking time to do that. I looked and i dont see any quick move or quick combat options which is really dissapointing.

Not sure about the strength of the AI -- don't have the game yet, only played the demo. Perhaps though, instant turns and a good AI don't go well together. I'd prefer to wait 10 seconds if that results in the AI making better decisions.

JaCa

Top Bottom